• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I'd be kind of blown away if it didn't pass a billion no matter what the reviews are. I know we throw that billion term around a lot loosely these days but this has to be a case of too big to fail (at the box office). It would be a near crippling indictment of the DC Franchise if a movie featuring both Batman and Superman can't achieve a billion worldwide.

+1

I'd be kind of blown away if it didn't pass a billion no matter what the reviews are. I know we throw that billion term around a lot loosely these days but this has to be a case of too big to fail (at the box office). It would be a near crippling indictment of the DC Franchise if a movie featuring both Batman and Superman can't achieve a billion worldwide.

+1

I am starting to think that Global cume will be around $800 million.

Opening Weekend (with advanced sales) looks to be around $140,000,000. Given low RT score, I don't think we can expect a major bump. Comparatively, Man of Steel opened to $128,000,000. Expect a multiplier of 2.5x so that would put the US domestic at about 350,000,000 (which is $60,000,000 more than MoS). Now since Batman and superman movies generally do about 48% of their worldwide total in the domestic market, that puts the overseas total at about 380,000,000.

It is not about how good a movie is. It is all about if the people receive what they want. Critically speaking the Transformers movies are pieces of cinematic muddled garbage mixed with loud explosions.

To people that want to see 55 foot robots beat the hell out of one another and interact with humans they are cinematic masterpieces and continue to warrant sequels based upon how much money they make.

FF did not work because it failed at both ends. People were disinterested and the movie was horrendous. It was a franchise killer.

Batman v Superman may not be a well scripted and made movie but I do believe that people want to see this. Based upon admission, it will do reasonable well at the box office to be considered a success and warranting of more installments.

The big review site is Rotten Tomatoes.

It really doesn`t matter what any other site says.

Remember folks the ASM 2 Garfield got a 53 percent rating.

Right now Batman vs. Superman is rated lower.

I hope this just a blip, and when all the reviews start to add up we will see a high score!

You have to also realize a lot of critics are going to be resentful towards this big studio film that was made instead of some art house film about a little boy chasing a balloon all over Paris. :makepoint:

Are you referring to this critic's darling? It EARNED the acclaim. :sumo:

a47f891f0d9fd29054861ba971b9a26a.jpg

Buzz while I get and appreciate your point, you have to remember that WB is at least $400,000,000 into this film (250,000,000 budget plus advertising) that means to break even the worldwide cume has to be at least a 900,000,000. Transformers is no where near that for break even. To reach that there has to be strong wom to bring in the non comic book reader viewer. A meh word of mouth will not bring in extra viewers.

It is not about how good a movie is. It is all about if the people receive what they want.

I thought I might want to see this, but now I may just cruise for YouTube videos of an ant taking on an anteater instead. Seems like the same matchup. :whatev:

+1

Opening Weekend (with advanced sales) looks to be around $140,000,000. Given low RT score, I don't think we can expect a major bump. Comparatively, Man of Steel opened to $128,000,000. Expect a multiplier of 2.5x so that would put the US domestic at about 350,000,000 (which is $60,000,000 more than MoS). Now since Batman and superman movies generally do about 48% of their worldwide total in the domestic market, that puts the overseas total at about 380,000,000.

I don't think it's going to happen but if it doesn't make a Billion everything I kind of defended regarding what Hitfix reported is on the table (and to be fair there is enough negative out there already that makes the reports believable), I'd suspect a major reshuffling of the DC slate and some director/movie combos we've seen announced be reworked.

If it makes 800 Million, meaning a Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman movie barely surpassing a Spider-Man movie that wasn't successful enough to want them to make another with the same cast and director, it would be a devastating PR/goodwill statement.

Still, man I'd be completely blown away if this isn't reaching a Billion, and easily.

If Deadpool outgrosses this movie, people will be getting fired.

Buzz while I get and appreciate your point, you have to remember that WB is at least $400,000,000 into this film (250,000,000 budget plus advertising) that means to break even the worldwide cume has to be at least a 900,000,000. Transformers is no where near that for break even. To reach that there has to be strong wom to bring in the non comic book reader viewer. A meh word of mouth will not bring in extra viewers.

I bet advertising cost more than that on this one. Never noticed so much promotion on a film before.

Although I do love your analysis and attempt to use historic data to predict the final results ( :foryou: ), let's be honest. These are two franchises that have followed such an inconsistent road, you can't use the overall franchise to predict final results.

XU8j9rt.png

xkkO0QJ.png

The franchises will go from capable hands to incompetents in only one movie, and poorly delivered casting and scripts for the sake of quick money.

But combined, and in what I consider the capable hands of Zack Snyder, I can see this exceeding $800 MM Worldwide. Especially with the likes of Wonder Woman and Doomsday joining in, which has never been done in a live production before on the big screen.

Batman v Superman may not be a well scripted and made movie but I do believe that people want to see this. Based upon admission, it will do reasonable well at the box office to be considered a success and warranting of more installments.

This is probably more the reality of the situation without any analytical study necessary. There are DC character fanatics that are hungry to see their favorite heroes on the screen like Marvel fans have experienced. And if the -script is even partially successful, they'll flock to it for at least one viewing.

+1

i'm a bit higher domestic $375MM (for the same reasons you cited, $150MM opening and a 2.5x multiple due to rotten reviews) but think Int'l will be more like $550MM Int'l. Dark Knight had no China and DKR only $50MM because they put it head to head w/ S-M. i guess that's still shy of $1BB.

Judging by the more modern Superman and Batman productions, this movie could do better than $800 MM.

BQsdsoI.png

Even little Superman Returns exceeded $200 MM at the Domestic Box Office, though it had to last longer than the normal run of a movie to get there. And at least with Batman v Superman you have more interesting heroes and villains.

The big review site is Rotten Tomatoes.

It really doesn`t matter what any other site says.

Remember folks the ASM 2 Garfield got a 53 percent rating.

Right now Batman vs. Superman is rated lower.

I hope this just a blip, and when all the reviews start to add up we will see a high score!

You have to also realize a lot of critics are going to be resentful towards this big studio film that was made instead of some art house film about a little boy chasing a balloon all over Paris. :makepoint:

A big studio made Avengers : Age of Ultron. which Rotten Tomatoes gave a 75 percent.

Batman v Superman now at 39 percent at Rotten Tomatoes!

I loved Man of Steel. I hope Batman v Superman is in that style which is why the critics are giving it so so reviews.

So you expect a 2.8 multiplier? Do you think that is aggressive with a (now) 39% RT score? I feel like you need stronger word of mouth to pull a >2.5 multiplier.

Until the $400 MM budget really comes out as fact, I've gone with what the general number that has been noted.

c9d03rF.png

The split between the Domestic and International Box Office will be interesting to see if it follows the modern trend or not. This movie could go much higher internationally.