• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

This is craziness!

I would give it a 8.8 out of 10 Right now and I will re vist after Fridays viewing..

my $0.02

Thanks for sharing this.

And it proves once again reviews are all over the place. It's either a strong Man of Steel follow-up, a mediocre movie but not a mess, or a hot mess. Weird!

I think this site has too much emphasis on pics, trailers, tweets, reviews and box office numbers

Too many opinions are formed prior to a release, lines are drawn in the sand, then when anything close to affirmation happens after release, a big "I told you so" post is made

I get if you don't like a trailer, a director or an actor, the plot etc and don't plan to see a movie, but to make reviews as your basis on viewing a movie is foolish IMHO

I think we could all name at least 10 movies that weren't loved by movies that we've enjoyed immensely

Think Different

Hector, here is the issue I have. This isn't just a cool comic book movie, this is the cornerstone piece for WB's Universe. No-one asked them to do this, they could have just made a sequel to MoS and the expectations would have been much lower. WB comes out and announces an aggressive 10 movie, 5 year plan. This is the lynchpin, there to set expectations. Compare it not to Marvel (who never announced a plan, but rather their way for handling their movies became the "Marvel Method: Movie Edition" but rather to Disney Star Wars. Disney comes out and says "We are making 6 Star Wars related films in the next 8 years, and JJ Abrams is directing the first one" How much pressure was there on TFA? A lot. It could have just been a good movie that made $1 billion and the fans would have liked it, BUT when you put that kind of pressure on a film a billion is a failure because the expectations were so much higher, and calls the rest of the plans into question.

Zach Snyder is not just the director of BvS, but he is supposed to be the Kevin Feige of the DCU. If he can't pull off BvS, then what confidence should we have in the other (more difficult) films (Aquaman, I'm looking at you). Time Warner is investing Billions into DCU (assuming a minimum $100 million budget for each of the 10 films, plus marketing budgets) Time Warner is not Disney, they can't afford to lose money (TW has a market cap of 1/3rd of Disney, with a annual profit of only about 3 billion, Disney's annual profit is almost 10 times that (between 22 and 24 billion)

You guys have made your points good. I do had seen some trailers, ads in newspaper and on the old Internet. All about this movie coming up. I don't mind all these trailers or ads ... I simply looked them and don't think on them. I want to forget that!

All what matters is one thing: go see that movie and have fun. My friends and I had brought tickets in advance (2 weeks ago) for the AVX 3D treatment. That option is the first time for me to sit in the deluxe seat. Hoping for a great time as I watch... I'm super-stoked, bat-crazy with all the wonders what I will find out!

:popcorn:

So... Why don't you give , whatever or who will make more bucks or what, a rest? And be glad this movie has finally come. After all the Marvels we had seen in theatre, DC deserve its due now.

We need the balance for our enjoyment! :foryou:

So... Why don't you give , whatever or who will make more bucks or what, a rest? And be glad this movie has finally come. After all the Marvels we had seen in theatre, DC deserve its due now.

We need the balance for our enjoyment! :foryou:

Although in the end what really matters is how much an individual enjoys a film or TV production, all these things factor into the final results. Otherwise:

- don't post trailers because they give away details

- don't post articles because they may have spoilers

- don't post pictures because they may spoil the surprise of how the character looks

There are quite a few folks that like to be aware of the financial results. Especially since this leads to studios making more of such films. The best thing is if you don't like the content, move on to the next post.

This is craziness!

I would give it a 8.8 out of 10 Right now and I will re vist after Fridays viewing..

my $0.02

Thanks for sharing this.

And it proves once again reviews are all over the place. It's either a strong Man of Steel follow-up, a mediocre movie but not a mess, or a hot mess. Weird!

:gossip:

Totally agree! I really liked this movie!

ASM 2 review May 2, 2014

:whistle:

This is craziness!

my $0.02

Thanks for sharing this.

ASM 2 review May 2, 2014

Haha love that you dug that up! and Yes i do still like that movie. Im a sucker for Emma stone's Gwen character.

this is much better than ASM 2.

I am so over the overtly dark and gloomy stance on things. Why do people have to be disappointed if its not 90% on RT.

The world we live in today is not a fun one to be in. Everything is overly criticized. Lets just have fun with what we watch and be happy that we are getting pretty awesome things to see on screen.

I feel like everyone thinks they are entitled to greatness. Its hard to achieve greatness.

Lets just have fun.

This is craziness!

my $0.02

Thanks for sharing this.

ASM 2 review May 2, 2014

Haha love that you dug that up! and Yes i do still like that movie. Im a sucker for Emma stone's Gwen character.

this is much better than ASM 2.

I am so over the overtly dark and gloomy stance on things. Why do people have to be disappointed if its not 90% on RT.

The world we live in today is not a fun one to be in. Everything is overly criticized. Lets just have fun with what we watch and be happy that we are getting pretty awesome things to see on screen.

I feel like everyone thinks they are entitled to greatness. Its hard to achieve greatness.

Lets just have fun.

I agree, like what you want to like......I was poking Bosco mostly because he didn't like ASM2.

:foryou:

Because the critical consensus does matter -- particularly as it affects audience opinion.

We have the last three Batman movies that were all critically acclaimed (and awesome) and financial blockbusters.

We have Man of Steel, which I thought was fun & serviceable -- as well as loads better than Superman 3, 4, and Returns.

So to put Superman and Batman together for a result that's less well-regarded than the recent individual efforts and merely mediocre is a missed opportunity of the highest order.

And that's even without the reality that if this movie doesn't break a billion worldwide, we may not see a whole slate of proposed DC comics films.

I'll ultimately reserve judgment until I see this, but that my favorite current critic (Scott Mendelson of Forbes) wrote 2,000 words on why it was a bad film is a grave cause for concern.

Reviews might be all over the place, but it doesn't mask that with 67 reviews counted on RT, as of now, the average review is a 41%. I don't see the average tilting up beyond 45% with 67 already in.

Disappointing, but not surprised. Now the question is whether WB pulls Zack Snyder off the JLA franchise. I suppose we'll find out in a few months' time.

I think the box office is only part of the story here. What does a movie that clearly looks like its going to be divisive do to everything DC has planned?

Marvel went into Avengers with some goodwill built up Iron man (RT 94), Captain America (RT 79), Thor (RT 77), Iron Man 2 (RT 72). Then they go and hit a grand slam with Avengers (RT 92). I think we can agree that the vast majority of people liked to loved that movie. That brought Marvel a ton of goodwill (not to mention putting out more well received films after). So when AoU (RT 75) came around and they stumbled, it did not kill them.

Now we are going to have two divisive movies in a row in MoS and BvS. Even if BvS does fairly well (I still think around 900 to 1 bil.), what is going to be the ripple effect on the entire DCCU? WB does not have the goodwill built up yet to survive a movie that is not well received by the general public. We have to be honest on this forum also, we are not the general public when it comes to comic films.

WB does not have the goodwill built up yet to survive a movie that is not well received by the general public. We have to be honest on this forum also, we are not the general public when it comes to comic films.

This.

Plus -- the chances that a grim Jason Momoa-as-Aquaman solo film somehow surprises and does Ant-Man numbers?

Slim to none.

Marvel has a better chance of knocking it of the park with a Zachary Quinto Sub Mariner cameo.

While Nolan is obviously a superior filmmmaker over Snyder, I have to admit I was ready for that tone and take to be over and was disappointed when Snyder seemed to take that tone and utilize under his, weaker IMHO, skillset. They both have a little bit of robot about them tho, even while Nolan just laps Snyder.

I think the box office is only part of the story here. What does a movie that clearly looks like its going to be divisive do to everything DC has planned?

Marvel went into Avengers with some goodwill built up Iron man (RT 94), Captain America (RT 79), Thor (RT 77), Iron Man 2 (RT 72). Then they go and hit a grand slam with Avengers (RT 92). I think we can agree that the vast majority of people liked to loved that movie. That brought Marvel a ton of goodwill (not to mention putting out more well received films after). So when AoU (RT 75) came around and they stumbled, it did not kill them.

Now we are going to have two divisive movies in a row in MoS and BvS. Even if BvS does fairly well (I still think around 900 to 1 bil.), what is going to be the ripple effect on the entire DCCU? WB does not have the goodwill built up yet to survive a movie that is not well received by the general public. We have to be honest on this forum also, we are not the general public when it comes to comic films.

ultron "certified fresh" on rt, made 1.4 billion. i imagine marvel hits knees every night hoping for more such "stumbles." and understand, i was disappointed with ultron, but facts are facts.

TLDR anything for the last few days. This is the exact result I expected: a bunch of folks made up their mind in advance of the movie that it sucks. They were vocal before and now they have their megaphones out proclaiming how right they were.

On the other side are the folks that love the movie before they see a single frame.

The rest fall in between.

I'm gonna watch the flick myself. Critics be damned.

i see almost every comic film, regardless of the critics [some exceptions--last year's ff, catwoman...]. but i care about the reviews because i want the train to keep rollin'; better reviews--more money, more money--more comic movies greenlighted. the horrible reviews of green lantern likely contributed to it cratering at the b.o., and thus no follow-up. therefore, i "pull" for good reviews insofar as they dovetail into the continued health of the comics/cinema amalgam that i have so enjoyed.

TLDR anything for the last few days. This is the exact result I expected: a bunch of folks made up their mind in advance of the movie that it sucks. They were vocal before and now they have their megaphones out proclaiming how right they were.

On the other side are the folks that love the movie before they see a single frame.

The rest fall in between.

I'm gonna watch the flick myself. Critics be damned.

Actually I don't see much of either of those extremes in the reviews so far. Most have it as a ok film. Neither great nor awful. Grades seem to be in the 1.5-3.5 out of 5 or C- to C+.