• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I haven't seen the movie yet but I don't understand how it can have a worse RT rating then that snooze-fest Superman Returns.

I generally enjoyed that film. Critics agreed...it has 76% Rotten Tomatoes overall score and 7/10 Rotten Tomatoes quality score. Certainly the scenes where Superman uses his powers were fantastic...love the space shuttle rescue sequence in particular, I can rewatch that over and over.

I really don't care what the critics say though.

Other then the space shuttle sequence there was nothing else in the film of interest.

Routh played an awkward stalker Superman, tried too hard to be Christopher Reeves and failed. The whole film was miscast, there were "nice" moments that were stitched together by a weak/boring story where the big battle at the end is Superman Vs a Giant Rock.

Looking back, that 76% overall score was generous, but that's not to say Superman Returns was a bad movie. It was still a decent movie -- maybe 55% to 60%.

Meanwhile, in unrelated news, RT now reporting 31% for BvS.

Whatevs -- Affleck's proven himself in recent years with his stints in The Town, Argo & Gone Girl.

Nerd rage over his casting was _nothing_ compared to what it was when Tim Burton cast Mr. Mom in the role.

Whatevs -- Affleck's proven himself in recent years with his stints in The Town, Argo & Gone Girl.

Nerd rage over his casting was _nothing_ compared to what it was when Tim Burton cast Mr. Mom in the role.

IMHO the casting of Eisenberg as Luthor seems the worst choice out of everything. When I first saw the trailer I thought he was Mr. Mytzlplk.

Not sure what the Affleck fall was. If the worst era of a man's life is that he's making millions still and smashing Jennifer Lopez, that sounds like winning to me.

We are going to win when we get a Affleck directed DC film. I'm not talking about BvS because I haven't seen it but the weak link to me is Snyder. He's just not that great, or rather, he's great at some things but not good enough at other (for me),

I also think Affleck was snubbed for a supporting nomination for Hollywoodland, he was PHENOMENAL in that.

I will admit that Paycheck and Changing Lanes were boring as hell.

Not sure what the Affleck fall was. If the worst era of a man's life is that he's making millions still and smashing Jennifer Lopez, that sounds like winning to me.

We are going to win when we get a Affleck directed DC film. I'm not talking about BvS because I haven't seen it but the weak link to me is Snyder. He's just not that great, or rather, he's great at some things but not good enough at other (for me),

I also think Affleck was snubbed for a supporting nomination for Hollywoodland, he was PHENOMENAL in that.

I will admit that Paycheck and Changing Lanes were boring as hell.

He was good as Daredevil too ;) There was a lot of hate for that movie when it came out, but I think ppl were just on the Affleck-hate-train at that time. Kevin Smith did a good job, I don't get it (shrug) Then again maybe it was Gigli? Gigi? Gilgi? whatever that movie was called...

I've actually heard almost universal praise for Batman in this movie, and that's not hard for me to believe and I remember taking friendly ribbing when Affleck was cast and I thought it was an interesting choice.

He was great as a seasoned, battle worn Batman. The problem for me was a large portion of the movie just served no purpose. I was forced to wait two hours through nonsense to get to the point of the whole movie, which I enjoyed.

Taking my son to go see it tonight, I will give an opinion later, but I am optimistic.

Love to hear how your son feels about it, a lot of people are saying it will bore kids for a good portion of the movie. My niece wants to go just for Cavil tho.

Regarding Affleck, the opinions are mixed at best:

“Many are praising Ben Affleck for his performance, but in all honesty he doesn’t impress. He is fine in the role, but not overly impressive or memorable.”

Examiner.com

"I still like Henry Cavill as the latter and Ben Affleck is good as Bruce Wayne, but he’s basically giving the same performance he gives in every movie cause Affleck doesn’t have much range."

weekendwarriorblog.tumblr.com

"…Bruce Wayne (Ben Affleck, more stone-faced and disinterested than usual) watches in horror from the ground...”

indiewire.com

“More problematically, even on a comic-book movie level there is no credible sense of danger like there is in the “Batman’’ movies directed by Christopher Nolan (who takes a producing credit this time). The demolition of an iconic landmark carries no more weight here than in “Independence Day.’’ Part of this is due to Affleck, who tries hard to project weary gravitas like his immediate successor Christian Bale as an older Batman, but too often comes off like a self-loathing Oscar-winning writer-director cashing a big paycheck.”

nypost.com

And you'll find other quotes son both sides of the spectrum.

From what I've read, Affleck is playing the Punisher instead of Batman.

I was one of those people who wrote this movie off when they cast him. It reeked of the WB suits telling Snyder who they wanted ('we need a big name! Ben is a big name!') and him going along with it because Affleck 'looks the part'. Because it's hard to find a caucasian guy with dark hair in Hollywood, I guess.

But at this point, isn't it fair to ask, what was the point? Why cast someone who lots of people will instantly doubt, or will write off, whether he does a good job or not? To be fair, how can we even tell if he's good or not when the movie is this bad? Lots of negative points seem like a result of bad writing (by the way, how many times did we hear that Chris 'Oscar Winner' Terrio's rewrite would save this movie?).

What a train wreck. As comic book fans, we all deserved better than this.

Cast an all new group, get a new director, blow it up, and start over.

(Pretty please?)