• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Wow! Cinema and TV Batman has gone through many changes over the years.

GnpPsMx.png

Cool image. (thumbs u

I still think the best live-action Batman is the 2003 Batman:Dead End version. For a low-budget demo reel Sandy Collora nailed the visuals.

Clark-Bartram-w-nowatorskim-kostiumie-Batmana.jpg

I think you absolutely need to include Batman '66 in the lineup, as that's the version that defined Batman for the general public for 25 years.

It's hard to over-state how important the '89 Tim Burton movie was in helping to correct the damage that the (brilliant satirical) '60s Batman TV show did in shaping how an entire generation viewed comic books, superheroes, and Batman specifically.

Superman 1 and 2 helped, but Batman '89 was revolutionary.

I think you absolutely need to include Batman '66 in the lineup, as that's the version that defined Batman for the general public for 25 years.

It's hard to over-state how important the '89 Tim Burton movie was in helping to correct the damage that the (brilliant satirical) '60s Batman TV show did in shaping how an entire generation viewed comic books, superheroes, and Batman specifically.

Superman 1 and 2 helped, but Batman '89 was revolutionary.

Good points. And I agree with you about the 89 Movie and also the brilliance of the TV Show.

The 89 Movie was the first real "summer blockbuster" thing I remember. Batmania was in full effect that year. Wish it held up a little better.

Rotten Tomatoes and Batman through the years...

Batman '66 80% (30 reviews)

Batman '89 72%

Batman Returns 80%

Batman Forever 41%

Batman & Robin 11%

Batman Begins 85%

The Dark Knight 94% (341 reviews)

Dark Knight Rises 87%

B v S 30% (so far at 194 reviews)

It looks like the new Batman might reside as the second worst interpretation amongst critics.

It doesn't mean you won't like it.

I really didn't care for Batman '66, I find Batman Forever unwatchable now and although I liked Dark Knight Rises, I did find it overrated.

Good points,but the problem probably isn`t Batman, but Superman! :o

This could be it for Superman. The odds of them making another solo Superman movie just went down. Batman will weather this fine,as they are already talking a solo Ben Affleck Batman movie.

Poor Superman he will be the sacrificial lamb. Modern filmmakers don`t know what to do with him.

My advice is go back to the 1978 and 1980 version of Superman 1 and 2.

The Smallville and Lois and Clark stuff watered Superman down to when Superman appeared in Man of Steel his actions shocked the audience. They weren`t use to Superman being so aggressive.

Ah enough with me talking! I am headed out to see it now for myself. There is no way this movie can be as bad as they say it is. This is Batman versus Superman!

Rotten Tomatoes and Batman through the years...

Batman '66 80% (30 reviews)

Batman '89 72%

Batman Returns 80%

Batman Forever 41%

Batman & Robin 11%

Batman Begins 85%

The Dark Knight 94% (341 reviews)

Dark Knight Rises 87%

B v S 30% (so far at 194 reviews)

It looks like the new Batman might reside as the second worst interpretation amongst critics.

It doesn't mean you won't like it.

I really didn't care for Batman '66, I find Batman Forever unwatchable now and although I liked Dark Knight Rises, I did find it overrated.

I really despise '66, It's so corny and I'm just not old enough to appreciate it. It's a lot like original Trek is to me in that regard.

I don't like the Burton movies as much as a lot of people do. It was certainly a pop culture event on a level I think many who weren't there underestimate but it's not a group of films I care about.

No comment needed on the post-Burton, pre-Nolan films, they are trash.

I think I like Batman Begins a lot, and prefer it over Rises. I think that's a great film that, much like Iron Man I, is only hindered by its third act. Comic book superhero movies, most of them, have third act issues.

I'm not a guy who thinks DKR is one of the greatest movies off all time, there are hundreds of movies I'd rather watch again, but it's a good movie and Ledger was monumental in it.

Rises I like more than those who dislike it, and don't like as much as people who love it. Nolan has a very hardcore and often obnoxious fanbase.

I don't love any of the movies but I want to and like many of them.

I've now seen BvS but still marinating on it. I do like Affleck as Batman though, and unlike some above I like that desert scene a lot because while it may not be a scene in this or the Justice League type of movie I want to see, it is the exact type of movie Zack Snyder can shoot.

I didn't read this review until today, but it sums up exactly my thoughts:

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/review-batman-v-superman-throws-lots-of-punches-but-with-no-impact-at-all

I still didn't HATE the movie, but it deserves a certain degree of criticism so that hopefully the DC/WB camp will learn, evolve and put out a much better Justice League movie.

BTW: Where the hell was Dan Amboyer? Didn't he tease his involvement as GL? I didn't see a single frame of him in the movie. NOR did I see the FIRST scene that they filmed for BvS (purportedly) with the football game (which supposedly had Victor Stone).

MAYBE, just MAYBE there's alot of stuff left on the cutting room floor that got dumped at the last minute for possibly the DVD R-rated release? Maybe it was considered too confusing to include?

I liked Affleck just fine. I liked the entire cast, but for Lex. He was the only one playing it camp. Which didn't fit with Snyder's tone.

Snyder's tone is the problem. His depressing palette & so forth. The plot was fine; it was the storytelling that was really clunky.

Saw it yesterday after work. Theater was packed.

It's pretty much 5 comic stories in one movie. Could have taken 20 min out of the movie and been fine, or put in some of the scenes that were cut out and maybe it would have been better, for me anyway.

Wonder Woman stole the show. When she appeared on screen, the audience clapped.

When she smirked, they cheered.

The Bruce/Alfred interactions were good.

My main part seemed to be the Superman aspect of the movie. Just didnt seem right.

Doomsday was odd.

I guess he adapted after the nuclear bomb attack.

That change I didnt like.

If they didn't darken down Superman and Wonder Woman's costume, if Lex was played by someone else then I think the movie would have been much better.

The audience still cheered and clapped at the end. This seems to be a either you will leave the theater excited or you wont type movie. No inbetween.

I would have loved a little more reflection on what happened to Batman the last 20 years, what happened to Robin exactly, what happened to Wayne Manor.

Surely someone knows how to portray Superman on the big screen and give him a solid story. Adapt a comic book page for page if you have to.

I'm sure Civil War will be the better of the two movies. Seems like DC/Warner is away a huge opportunity. Cant wait for Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman though.

Glad to see people here that have seen the movie are being honest. And what you are saying seems to fall in line with what most of the critics are saying, if you actually read the reviews as opposed to turning the review into a simple +1 or -1.

From what I am seeing. The cast is adequate to good. Lex is an issue however. The pacing and storytelling is disjointed, somewhat shallow, and there are some plot holes. It is coming across for some as overly dark. The fight scenes are good, but not groundbreaking. Doomsday was stolen from Lord of the Rings. Overall the board average at this point sounds like about a B-.

Really sounds to me like Snyder and his editing crew need to be gone, and possibly a new writing crew. The cast however can stay. Shows why Disney has made the decision to be constantly rotating in new directors and writers on Marvel and Star Wars films.

Liked it, didn't love it. It just wasn't, I still don't know how to explain it. Just depressing I guess like they sucked all the fun out. I'm still glad I saw it and that we actually do get to go see comicbook movies which I never thought I would see when I was younger (shrug) WW was the best part.

Edited by Azkaban

but Eisenberg is doing a rather poor imitation of Ledger's Joker. There are a few scenes that you will do a double take as if they were directly ripped off.

Im glad Im not the only one that felt this way. I havent read much recent books, but since when is Lex a Joker-esque lunatic?

Very unlikable.

But I did enjoy the movie for the most part. It was rescued by the last 45 min. or so.

I saw the movie last night. The best parts of the movie for me were the reveals of the other superheroes & the Knightmare dream sequence. I thought it was entertaining, but those that are looking for a movie as great as The Dark Knight will be greatly disappointed. It was marginally better than Man of Steel, but I think that can be attributed to the additions of Batman & Wonder Woman. I might have liked it better if I hadn't watched every trailer. Unlike others, I don't believe WW stole the show...Batman did (for those that are fans of the arkham knight video game will notice the integration of the battle elements).

It was mentioned somewhere that this movie was a gateway into the DC universe which it accomplished. An appropriate grade for the movie is 6 out of 10...any grade that's much below a 5 was expecting too much, any higher than a 7 is technically undeserving. It is worth noting that I would pay to see it again to confirm my initial thoughts.

My $0.02...

Edited by chico_suave_58

i rewatched mos last night to get in the mood, and much enjoyed it. if, like many posters, i think this new one is an upgrade, then i will be very happy.

Saw it last night

The movie isn't near as bad as the critics make it out to be. With that said this movie is too overstuffed for its own good. The problem with the shared universe super hero movie is when you try to introduce other characters or try to setup other franchises it takes away the focus of the movie.

If the movie was 20-30 minutes shorter and more streamlined i would've enjoyed it more. It wasn't as bad as Green Lantern but is far from perfect.

dang, down to 30 on rt. but the good news: still has a few points on my big fat greek wedding 2 [25%].

seriously, tho' many geeks such as ourselves may not care much about such things, you know warners has to be miserable over the fact that this crucial flick for them is, critically, being seen in much the same light as green lantern.

dang, down to 30 on rt. but the good news: still has a few points on my big fat greek wedding 2 [25%].

Reviews are what they are at this point - this isn't the type of movie critics will like let alone enjoy. If you're a comic fan you'll probably be entertained for a large portion of it but it's still a Zack Snyder movie so go in with that expectation and I think you'll have a good time.