• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Magneto #0

7 posts in this topic

I don't know much about this book other than it was "giveaway". Part of my "car deal" Still think I'm winning! Cool cover too. Your grades and comments are always appreciated.

Magneto #0 Front Cover

22x2.jpg

Magneto #0 Back Cover

gyy6.jpg

Got anything challenging? zzz

lol

I'm looking. I want to try and find a "10.0" to see if there really is something that is as perfect as they claim them to be. I see we are differing on some of the grades lately. How do you arrive at your grades? Do you use the Overstreet Grading Guide as a "guide"? And then view other graded copies of the same books or other books of the same era? :grin:

I would never ever offer a 10 for a scan. I also don't usually like to offer 9.8's simply from a scan either. There are so many things that keep a book 9.8 or + that you just can't examine in an image.

Most of the time I go by my studying the OSGG though I realize CGC goes by their own guidelines. Problem is, CGC's grading seems to vary in consistency from time to time. But then so can my offered grades here, since it's all from a scan.

Sometimes I also throw in what I've seen in slabs and from my own submissions. When I see white on a corner with color, I consider it a color break. I know we've been seeing 9.8's with surprising and very noticeable defects, but when I see paper fiber where there should be none, I say 9.6

I really don't like to factor in the age of the book, but I sometimes do depending on the grade level. The defects that make a Silver Age book FINE will make a Copper Age or Modern look VG to me. When a GA/SA/BA book is in the GD-VG range, I pretty much treat them equally.

In a nutshell, the grades I offer all just MHO. ;)

9.4-9.6 because of the corner "tufting." If those were sharp, I'd say 9.8 candidate.

And like someone else said, giving a 10 from a scan isn't feasible. The best I'd give is a 9.8 with the disclaimer of "possibly higher."

-slym

Thanks Slym! I appreciate the feedback. I realize that giving a 10 from a scan is difficult but when someone (not mentioning any names) asks to be challenged I want to try and find a book that you can look at and say "hmmmm, there ain't nothing wrong here!" :)

9.4-9.6 because of the corner "tufting." If those were sharp, I'd say 9.8 candidate.

And like someone else said, giving a 10 from a scan isn't feasible. The best I'd give is a 9.8 with the disclaimer of "possibly higher."

-slym

Thanks Slym! I appreciate the feedback. I realize that giving a 10 from a scan is difficult but when someone (not mentioning any names) asks to be challenged I want to try and find a book that you can look at and say "hmmmm, there ain't nothing wrong here!" :)

I can hear you :taptaptap:

Well, I can read you lol