• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel vs DC collectors

53 posts in this topic

The numbers are not as skewed as I thought they would be.

If you posted this in General the number would be about 25 Marvel to every DC. And the ratio would increase even more if you excluded Batman from DC.

that's probably one explanation. there has to be something screwing with the results.

Yeah, the explanation is that this Silver Forum has a relatively high concentration of DC collectors because the General Forum IS the SA and BA Marvel forum. There`s no need for the Marvel collectors to hang out in this niche forum when the biggest forum already focused on what they collect (and their movies).

I call wildly_fanciful_statement.

This subforum is no more dc centric than CG.

I never said it was DC centric. What I was saying is that a disproportionate number of DC collectors gravitate here, which is the only reason the ratio even approaches anything close to parity in your poll.

Seriously, run your poll in General. Marvel collectors will dwarf DC collectors by a huge margin.

That is what I meant by centric. I will run it in CG.

I mean, FF and Avengers (and Iron Man/Cap, Thor, etc.) were hardly dependent on riding the coat tails of Spiderman. Spidey popped into each of these titles once or twice (if at all) in the 60s?

It's not about guest appearances or crossovers. It's about the zeitgeist. Spider-Man was just the right character at the right time and he became a sensation pretty much overnight, getting bigger and bigger with every passing month. None of the other Marvel characters had that much "charisma" (for lack of a better word) and I don't believe they would've sustained a steady fan base (or great sales) for that long, without Spidey being the flagship title of the company.

Of course, that's just my opinion and it's not necessarily correct, but I've heard (read) from a lot of guys that were "there" at the time, that by by the mid-60s, Marvel was not just a comics publisher that was putting out interesting books - they were the guys that were publishing Spider-Man!

I collect all companies, all ages, all genres, all titles, raw and slabbed, yellow & blue with a few purple and green thrown in.

Hardcovers, softcovers, trades, sketches, OA, magazines, fanzines & pocketbooks.

British, American and foreign issues.

Starting with digital :(

I have no room, focus or money :cry:

:gossip: DC was and still is, my first love :luhv:

I mean, FF and Avengers (and Iron Man/Cap, Thor, etc.) were hardly dependent on riding the coat tails of Spiderman. Spidey popped into each of these titles once or twice (if at all) in the 60s?

It's not about guest appearances or crossovers. It's about the zeitgeist. Spider-Man was just the right character at the right time and he became a sensation pretty much overnight, getting bigger and bigger with every passing month. None of the other Marvel characters had that much "charisma" (for lack of a better word) and I don't believe they would've sustained a steady fan base (or great sales) for that long, without Spidey being the flagship title of the company.

Of course, that's just my opinion and it's not necessarily correct, but I've heard (read) from a lot of guys that were "there" at the time, that by by the mid-60s, Marvel was not just a comics publisher that was putting out interesting books - they were the guys that were publishing Spider-Man!

This is surely true, Dimitris, but you are underestimating the essential importance of the Fantastic Four. Each book touched a different sensibility, for me as much as I loved each and every Marvel character, without the Fantastic Four I would have not probably got hooked. The foundation of 2/3 of the bases of the Marvel Age were laid on the FF, the rest on Spidey. And then all of the others… :)

This is surely true, Dimitris, but you are underestimating the essential importance of the Fantastic Four. Each book touched a different sensibility, for me as much as I loved each and every Marvel character, without the Fantastic Four I would have not probably got hooked. The foundation of 2/3 of the bases of the Marvel Age were laid on the FF, the rest on Spidey. And then all of the others… :)

This is a pretty good summary I think.

The FF's importance had become forgotten/unappreciated over the years.

In the 60s the FF was the flagship title of the Marvel Universe.

This is a pretty good summary I think.

The FF's importance had become forgotten/unappreciated over the years.

In the 60s the FF was the flagship title of the Marvel Universe.

Agreed, FF was very important to Marvel. As each new Marvel character was introduced they guest starred in FF to expose them to FF's many readers.

FF12 Hulk

FF16 Antman

FF21 Sgt Fury

FF25 and 26 Avengers and Hulk

FF27 Dr Strange

FF28 Xmen

FF38 and 39 Daredevil

The only exception was Spider-man. Perhaps they knew they had a hit there as they crossed FF over into ASM 1 instead.

And new characters who were introduced in FF as villains or supporting characters are far and away more important to the Marvel universe than characters intoduced in any other title.

FF4 Submariner

FF5 Dr Doom

FF13 Watcher

FF45 Inhumans

FF48 Silver Surfer and Galactus

FF52 Black Panther

Spider-man certainly eclipsed FF in popularity but the Marvel Universe was built around the FF.

I collect all companies, all ages, all genres, all titles, raw and slabbed, yellow & blue with a few purple and green thrown in.

Hardcovers, softcovers, trades, sketches, OA, magazines, fanzines & pocketbooks.

:sick:

Marvel AND DC (AND Charlton, AND Gold Key, AND Tower, AND Harvey, AND Archie, etc etc)

You forgot DELL and Classics

While I have a great Marvel Silver age collection, I never really collected them. They were the bulk of some of the collections I bought 25 years ago. I tried to keep the best copy of every thing I was interested in and sell/trade off everything else.Still trying to trade off extras today

I only ever bought DC comics to actually fill a run or actively upgrade. When I was a kid in the mid to late 60's that is all that read.

for the last 5+ years i have only bought new DC from LCS although for the 5+ prior I was buying both. Just never totally connected with marvel characters.

:sick:

When you get all the Marvels Frankie, you will get hooked on DC lol