• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic was advertised on ebay as unrestored, is not, do i return?

109 posts in this topic

Oh Jesus H. Don't go starting this BS of "this is why you need to buy CGC" I buy books all the frikkin time, and have no problems. Learn to spot resto, learn to grade. Trimming is entirely different, and if you think buying a CGC blue guarantees you an unrestored book, you have been pounding the kool-aid and are obviously new around here.

Dude, even some of the best have been duped by resto and trimming. CGC was duped by trimming. There's a reason why some people would rather pay the premium, especially on higher end books. I bought a low grade ASM #1 and it was reglossed. No one saw that coming and it came back purple.

Even CGC has been duped. I do not see your point. Ewert flavored ?

Oh Jesus H. Don't go starting this BS of "this is why you need to buy CGC" I buy books all the frikkin time, and have no problems. Learn to spot resto, learn to grade. Trimming is entirely different, and if you think buying a CGC blue guarantees you an unrestored book, you have been pounding the kool-aid and are obviously new around here.

Novice collectors are going to be much, much better off spending 1K on Bronze/Silver key books that are CGC graded versus ones that are not. I don't see how that is debatable and I need no Kool-Aid to convince me.

Novice collectors and 1K on a comic book leads me to believe the kool aid drinking has begun.

Yeah, that is...well...don't jump into your understanding by giving someone $1K for a book you don't know how to grade or don't know much about. That sounds so crazy...

"But look at the value in the right-most column! It's a STEAL for half that..."

Novice collectors are going to be much, much better off spending 1K on Bronze/Silver key books that are CGC graded versus ones that are not. I don't see how that is debatable and I need no Kool-Aid to convince me.

Novice collectors and 1K on a comic book leads me to believe the kool aid drinking has begun.

Yeah, that is...well...don't jump into your understanding by giving someone $1K for a book you don't know how to grade or don't know much about. That sounds so crazy...

"But look at the value in the right-most column! It's a STEAL for half that..."

If it's too cheap, there is a reason. There are way too many of us in this game for these "deals" to exist.

I wasnt sure which forum to post this...but...

I just bought a comic on ebay, advertised as unrestored, and the preliminary grading information shows it as trimmed and thus restored. Do I attempt to return the comic and eat the cost of grading, or do I hope I can at least sell it at what I invested in it?

What is this preliminary grade you speak of?

Looks like a SA trimmed label is coming. Grade may otherwise be in the 9.4 range (I can only hope) for a Spiderman 50.

A SA trimmed label? You mean a PLOD and you know it's trimmed but not the grade cause it "may" get a 9.4? ???

i guess it depends what the market is for the comic at a restored level.

So you bid on a key book from ebay and are not sure of the market value for a clean book v. restored?

This news comes on my birthday. Happy birthday to me, your comic's worth less... :)

HBD!

Im not sure how to avoid this in the future, except to choose only the biggest, most revered sellers. But even then you dont know for certain until the grading is done.

Maybe just pay FMV to a trusted dealer rather than gamble on the bay.

If you are trying to say the OP is misrepresenting himself, I have to admit the thought has crossed my mind.

I think there's a bit of logic in it. On one hand, I don't think the seller is responsible for the added services the buyer chooses to invest in for his book after it's been sold.

My statement was based on the seller claiming the book was unrestored in his description, which I now realize was an assumption on my part. If he simply sells as-is with no reference to resto, then I agree with you, buyer beware. But if he did state no resto, the buyer needs to bring in a 3rd party to verify (otherwise it can turn into "yes it is-no it isn't-yes it is-no it isn't...") in which case the seller should cover slabbing fees since his description has been proven inaccurate.

Alright, the comic has come in, indeed restored at 9.2. Any of you all know if a seller on ebay can refund a buyer at a price higher than the purchase price? In other words, account for other fees such as shipping or, in this case, grading fees? Thanks again everyone.

I think there's a bit of logic in it. On one hand, I don't think the seller is responsible for the added services the buyer chooses to invest in for his book after it's been sold.

My statement was based on the seller claiming the book was unrestored in his description, which I now realize was an assumption on my part. If he simply sells as-is with no reference to resto, then I agree with you, buyer beware. But if he did state no resto, the buyer needs to bring in a 3rd party to verify (otherwise it can turn into "yes it is-no it isn't-yes it is-no it isn't...") in which case the seller should cover slabbing fees since his description has been proven inaccurate.

So if I sold you a book as a VF/NM and you had it slabbed and it came back a 9.6 you would contact me (the seller) and pay me more money right? :taptaptap:

So if I sold you a book as a VF/NM and you had it slabbed and it came back a 9.6 you would contact me (the seller) and pay me more money right? :taptaptap:

We're talking about resto, not a grade difference :makepoint:

I know, but I like to throw that little jab in. :shy:

Sure thing! :)

I'm sure you would return the favor. In fact, I have a recently slabbed 9.2 spiderman 50 I can almost give away to you for 1150. Somebody spilled purple koolaid on it so its blue label is now purple, but otherwise its perfect.

Update-the seller just offered a full refund. I'm assuming that doesn't cover grading. I don't think there is an infrastructure for me to haggle beyond that, if I'm not mistaken. I guess I need a source for doing pre cgc restoration checks if I plan to buy more non cgc books, or just learn to spot it myself.

Yes, it did say 100 percent not restored. Turns out it was half pregnant. :)

I know, but I like to throw that little jab in. :shy:

...... unless the repayment of slabbing fees is discussed IN ADVANCE..... it's quite an unrealistic expectation. What if I fly Steve B in from Dallas for the resto check and suddenly expect you to pay his fee and expenses on the refund ? Someone like Matt will provide a resto check for much less than a slab fee..... but then, that, too, is something to require IN ADVANCE. An agreed upon 3rd party would be the only way to go. I give a 2 week guarantee for ANY reason. If you can't find the resto and I can't find the resto (shrug) ....... for what it's worth, the couple of times a book turned out restored after the 2 week period I still accepted a return..... and it was for a very small amount of glue on spine. I know how to look for it now, so I guess I learned something in the process. I doubt eBay will force a refund of slabbing fees..... but who knows ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

What's the logistics of that? Say you have an auction, you don't know you are going to own it until its time to pay. So isn't it up to the seller to offer that in advance with the sale? An auction winner can't introduce terms of the sale post auction, right?

I guess that's possible. I would think it would benefit them to advertise that, but then again maybe they are willing to do it but don't want to do it unless asked. You could email them during the auction. I would be curious as to how many sellers would go along with a third party check like this.

What it comes down to is if I can't have protocols in place against this happening again, I can't buy unrestored comics I plan to have graded. It has to be affordable too.

I can't send comics off to cgc wondering if I'm getting screwed again. No more surprises

IMHO, the seller should pay at least half the CGC fees or he gets a raw comic returned. If he doesn't want to pay for the resto check, why should he get the product of one? (by that I mean the "certification" from CGC that the comic was in fact restored)

-slym