• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much is your collection worth(approx.)?

96 posts in this topic

for that matter TTH, its hard to imaginer these particular copies ever changing hands again for a long time. Two things have to happen: owners have to suddenly want to sell (to cash out, or raise cash etc) AND there has to be a buyer.

We all agree (pretty much) that the Dentists MH Actio 1 is worth 3 or 4 million (since he turned down 2 already) But is there really a buyer out ther at those numbers??

for that matter TTH, its hard to imaginer these particular copies ever changing hands again for a long time. Two things have to happen: owners have to suddenly want to sell (to cash out, or raise cash etc) AND there has to be a buyer.

We all agree (pretty much) that the Dentists MH Actio 1 is worth 3 or 4 million (since he turned down 2 already) But is there really a buyer out ther at those numbers??

Of course, we're just engaging in harmless hypothesizing. My point on the IH #1 is that there would undoubtedly be a buyer at $150K, which is why I thought $100K was too low. For many of the other books, I agree with COI that it's awfully hard to price many of the books, particularly the 9.8s. When you get up into six figures, the dynamics of pricing change dramatically and the pool of interested buyers shrinks dramatically.

I don't know that I necessarily agree that the Church Action 1 is worth $3-4 million, or that there is some sort of consensus on this number. That might be Anderson's asking price, but as you say, there's no guarantee that someone would pay that much, and if no one would pay that much, then it's market value is not that much. My estimate of $2 million was based upon reports that JP WAS willing to pay that much.

My estimate of $2 million was based upon reports that JP WAS willing to pay that much.

So if JP was willing to pay that much, there must be a reason. Meaning, he had to have made that offer, being fairly certain that he would be able to move the book for more. Action #1 is one of the few books that would have appeal to "players" outside of the hobby, and considering the level at which he deals not only comics, but coins/currency, he may very well have a couple of candidates in his customer base who would fork over more than 2M for this book, solely based on investment.

yes. All things being equal, I would pay 2 million for it. I have supreme confidence in that particular comic book above every single other comic issue and copy in existence that if any comics are worth serious money, then IT IS.

However, to buy it at that kind of number, you need three things:

1) lots more liquid cash so you are not strapped after tying up so much.

2) a bit of patience, since while I feel the book will always be the BEST of the BEST comic book to own, buyers are few and far between at that number.

3) and finally, historically huge cojones to pull the trigger as well as a love of comics and/or Superman since you may, at best, only get your money back someday.

Having said that, you take my whole argument and apply it 15-20 years ago and its a no-brainer. Thats what Dave did and it was a risky investment back then too. Of course the financial stakes have multiplied a bit since then....and its a far riskier play at today's numbers.

My estimate seems low, but I was figuring several big collectors have cashed out recently. I also have a feeling that if we were to include original art there may be several further additions to the $1M+ club (at least) from the guys that were buying Kirby and Ditko pages for $5 a pop a few years back. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A few years? Try 25.

Try never. confused-smiley-013.gifcrazy.gif

My estimate of $2 million was based upon reports that JP WAS willing to pay that much.

So if JP was willing to pay that much, there must be a reason. Meaning, he had to have made that offer, being fairly certain that he would be able to move the book for more. Action #1 is one of the few books that would have appeal to "players" outside of the hobby, and considering the level at which he deals not only comics, but coins/currency, he may very well have a couple of candidates in his customer base who would fork over more than 2M for this book, solely based on investment.

27_laughing.gifBased upon the prices that he has paid for other books and the length of time they have sat in his museum (aka as his website), I'm not sure that's an assumption I would make!

Having never met,nor dealt with JP,I'm basing this only on second hand reports and observations,but I won't use him as an authority on what a book could sell for.

It certainly appears that he has spent a fortune aquireing a tremendous inventory but doesn't seem to have found the quality of buyers he wants.

It appears,to me,that he's just another outsider who is making an attempt to get into comics,although he's doing it on an unprecedented level.

Do you think it would be possible to get insurance on a two million dollar comic as a stand alone investment? I'm sure you could include it in a much larger collection,but if a buyer was to buy only this one book? I have no idea.

A lot. Not in the Captain_Tripps league, but a lot.

The better question is what the value of my collection would be if I hadn't been dealing since 1977.... I would guess in the $1-2million range. The approximately 1000 copies of X-Men 94 I've flipped in 25 years might be worth something, as would the complete Marvel runs. Oy!

Do you think it would be possible to get insurance on a two million dollar comic as a stand alone investment? I'm sure you could include it in a much larger collection,but if a buyer was to buy only this one book? I have no idea.

Insurance for what? For loss, destruction, fire or theft? Sure. You can get coverage for comic collections for much smaller amounts.

Insurance for what? For loss, destruction, fire or theft? Sure. You can get coverage for comic collections for much smaller amounts.

Of course you can get insurance for collections.My question is can you get it for a single book that is that valuable.

My policy does not cover books valued over $25,000. Those require a seperate policy that runs much more.I'm fairly sure they wouldn't go as high as two million,but am not positive.

hard to say what the value of my collection is:

If I were to actually sell the books, I'm pretty sure I could get somewhere between $10-$12k for everything.

In terms of guide value, it's probably closer to $25k or so.

I generally value things based on what I could get for them.