• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much is your collection worth(approx.)?

96 posts in this topic

More than my car, less than my house.

Same here... which isn't saying a lot for me since I drive a '91 VW Jetta.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

interesting thread and one which many (i'm pretty certain) are wary of. if you come on here touting your million dollar collection, you'll almost certainly run the risk of being seen as a braggart.

but, as always, someone manages to take the sting out of it with the "more than my car less than my house" comments. i would guess that answer probably fits the bill for many of the folks on here, including myself.

all i know is that when i bought my first Overstreet in 1976, my entire 1000 book original owner collection guided somewhere around $2500.......... despite my early inflated grading estimates, it's worth more now.............grin.gif

I started to total everything up a couple years ago for insurance purposes. I was only including books that guided for $10+ (in the condition I held). I only made it through the E's but was up to $32,000. That included a complete run of high grade Avengers, AF 15 and a good chunk of an ASM run, an almost complete DD run, some early Actions and Batman/Detectives. Still remaining was a 90% run of FF, a 90% run of X-Men, a complete run of TOS, etc.

I would guess that it would be in the $150k range.

I started to total everything up a couple years ago for insurance purposes. I was only including books that guided for $10+ (in the condition I held). I only made it through the E's but was up to $32,000. That included a complete run of high grade Avengers, AF 15 and a good chunk of an ASM run, an almost complete DD run, some early Actions and Batman/Detectives. Still remaining was a 90% run of FF, a 90% run of X-Men, a complete run of TOS, etc.

I would guess that it would be in the $150k range.

And what's your address again? poke2.gif

**************SPAM ALERT***************

I'm not sure of the exact figure of my collection, but I'd say that 75-80% are high grade ASM's, so it's a decent chunk of change. And speaking of high grade Spideys, here are some of my dupes! grin.gif

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZcaptainsQ5fofQ5findustryQQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1

Shameless plug - takeit.gif

all i know is that when i bought my first Overstreet in 1976, my entire 1000 book original owner collection guided somewhere around $2500.......... despite my early inflated grading estimates, it's worth more now.............grin.gif

Interesting. Knowing something about the prices in '76, I would guess that, depending considerably on the books in question, $2500 in '76 guide values would equate to about $50,000 in today's prices. Knowing that many of your books are HG SA, and a fair % of those are keys, I don't think this formula works very well for you.

I can tell you this: I still have a little notebook from 1979, in which I recorded the value of each 'stack' of comics in my collection. At that time, the 30+ stacks combined had an OS Guide value of slightly more than $2,000. When I dug my collection (approx. 2,500 books, roughly 40% BA, 40% SA, 20% GA) out of storage 4 years ago, those same books guided for about $22,000. I've added another 1,500 books since 2000, and all told the current OS Guide value for all of them combined is $67,497

Bear in mind that of the approx. 400 books that I consider to be in grades higher than 9.2, I've placed a very conservative 'premium' beyond the OS Guide's 9.2 price, so some of those might sell for signficantly more than my 'listed' value - but that would likely require slabbing them, which might in turn expose them to SCS, which would then render them less valuable foreheadslap.gif

Bear in mind that of the approx. 400 books that I consider to be in grades higher than 9.2,

What this thread is showing to me, is how many board members have High-Grade collections that AREN'T SLABBED YET.

blush.gif

Bear in mind that of the approx. 400 books that I consider to be in grades higher than 9.2,

What this thread is showing to me, is how many board members have High-Grade collections that AREN'T SLABBED YET.

blush.gif

Funny I was thinking about this the other day - In terms of the 4 large GA / SA / BA collections that I've see including my own which is primarliy BA / SA with Moderns. How few slabs were in the collection, even though the ppl had slabs and were in the know so to speak about slabbing etc. And the books that were slabbed as opposed to those that were not. In these collections the higher $$ books were RAW.

Even though my specific experience should not be used to generalized as I'm sure there are some high % slabbed collections out there here is what I think of the average mid to HG colllector mind set:

They may possess slabs but these are often purchased slabbed. It is one thing to buy a slabbed comic, but quite another to slab a comic already in your collection. I don't know about other members, but most of my slabs go in a box and are rarely seen - where other issues in Mylars are often brought out for viewing - why, well there is something to be said for just looking at a comic RAW - you can see the gloss better, you can actually feel the comic and open it up and look at the colors of the interior. For old comics especially the nostalgia is better is they are RAW. I can appreciate the slabbed comic the holder and label are cool - if somewhat suspect from a protection stand point.

I guess I kind of view slabs as currency, more than colelctable, or collectable currency. Maybe I'm getting old at age 30, but I would venture that the wave of slabbing is still being resisted by some of the older collectors with a 'wait and see approach.' I mean think of the time effort and $$$ it took to amass those collections, commiting them to encapsulation with which ever company is a HUGE leap its no wonder that some haven't taken the plunge 'Hip Deep"

I guess I kind of view slabs as currency, more than colelctable, or collectable currency. Maybe I'm getting old at age 30, but I would venture that the wave of slabbing is still being resisted by some of the older collectors with a 'wait and see approach.'

I don't know if it is a "wait and see", as much as WHY BOTHER to SLAB, unless you are planning on selling.

I seriously doubt that many of the prime GA or even SA collections that aren't slabbed yet, will come to market RAW. But they will get them CGC'd when it's time to sell and not a minute sooner.

And I do agree that looking at RAW books is more fun. cool.gif

Yes I agree with that comments, as it turns out alot of my submissions were books where I was interested to see the grade CGC assigned, more than anything else. I also agree that slabbing, being seen as a value added thing and therefore tied to selling and the marketplace is also probablt true - I would be interested to hear from someone who has slabbed a portion of their existing collection where the books are remaining in the collection and the reasoning behind that. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My estimate of $2 million was based upon reports that JP WAS willing to pay that much.

So if JP was willing to pay that much, there must be a reason. Meaning, he had to have made that offer, being fairly certain that he would be able to move the book for more.

Not necessarily. By all accounts, $2mil is chump change to JP.

I get the impression he's more concerned about being the first dealer to break the million dollar mark for a comic book. The amount of mainstream publicity such an event would generate would be well worth the expenditure.

Interesting. Knowing something about the prices in '76, I would guess that, depending considerably on the books in question, $2500 in '76 guide values would equate to about $50,000 in today's prices. Knowing that many of your books are HG SA, and a fair % of those are keys, I don't think this formula works very well for you.

Based on the HG SA books I bought in the mid '80s and later slabbed and sold, 100x is not at all an uncommon multiplier. I would think all those SA books that listed at $2 in NM in the '76 Overstreet are now $200-$500 books if CGC 9.4!