• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

50 Years of collecting - A great journey with a Great Hobby posted by Reinhardt_Collection

10 posts in this topic

It started 50 years ago this month ..I picked up a copy of Spider-Man #4 and I was hooked. Every trip to the grocery store became a major decision on what 2 12cent books I could get with the quarter my Mom gave me to spend, Within the next few months I was immersed in a world created by Lee,Kirby and Ditko. Avengers, JIM, Tales of Suspense almost every title kept me reading and finding an escape dictated by Stan's storytelling. As the years past my interest waned in high school but I kept my books and afetr I was married with children of my own I rediscovered my old friend and started taking my kids to the comic shop on Saturdays and building my collection and starting theirs. Years have passed and now my grandkids come over to see Amazing Fantasy 15, Avengers 1, Tales of Suspense 39, Daredevil 1, X-Men 1 and the many runs of books I have accumulated through 50 years.

It started 50 years ago this month ..I picked up a copy of Spider-Man #4 and I was hooked. Every trip to the grocery store became a major decision on which two 12 cent books I could purchase with the quarter my Mom gave me to spend. Within the next few months I was immersed in a world created by Lee,Kirby and Ditko. Avengers, JIM, Tales of Suspense almost every title kept me reading and finding an escape dictated by Stan's storytelling. As the years past my interest waned in high school but I kept my books and after I was married with children of my own, I rediscovered my old friends and started taking my kids to the comic shop on Saturdays and building on my collection and starting theirs. Years have passed and now my grandkids come over to see Amazing Fantasy 15, Avengers 1, Tales of Suspense 39 and the many runs of books I have accumulated. It is a great hobby and has been a comfort throughout my life. Preparing to submit many old books for grading soon and look forward to continue enjoying this great hobby for as long as I can...

See more journals by Reinhardt_Collection

Hey Reinhardt, thanks for sharing your story. It must have been something growing up during that time and now to being able to look back on it. I'm sure your comics bring back some great memories, and you're still creating new ones with your grand kids...very cool. Looking forward to more from you sir, and seeing pics of your books with descriptions if you are so inclined.

sig.jpg

Wow! 50 Years! Congrats!

I've never had the opportunity to meet my Grandfather's... Could I come over as well and pretend to be a "grandchild" so I could hear your marvelous tales of comic book lore and see your amazing collection?

But seriously... whenever your grades and books come back from CGC, please share with another journal and some pics.

It's a pleasure to know, although decades may pass, that the love for the hobby stays with us forever!

SW3D

I wish I could remember how I got some if the comic books I do have. But there was one comic book, an oversized Star Wars treasury edition that was kept in his car more as floor mat than a collectible. Even though I cannot fully remember how I started collecting comic books I can imagine that I could psychoanalyse that the feeling I got as a five year old kid getting a gift from his pop pop is the same feeling I try to get every time I buy a comic book.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Tnerb

Great story and thanks for sharing! Please keep us in touch. We look forward to seeing your graded comics!

My grandfather born in 1912. When Action Comics #1 came out in 1938, he was 26 but it was already in Great Depression. I don't think he would afford 10 cent copy even he was married in 1935. They lived on FDR funds until the war broke out. They finally had real jobs in 1939. My mother born in early 1941 and lived in the apartments until she turned 7. My grandfather built the first house. Settled in that house which was completed in 1948 when my grandfather started collecting National Geographic and Popular Mechanics magazine since 1949 -- not a single comic book but a old reel of 30's Batman. He was passed away in 1988.

It would be interested if my grandfather collected the comic books. That would tear us up between all my relatives. I am the only one who loves the comic books but they definitely wanted money not comic books.