• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cheetah runs
4 4

585 posts in this topic

That's it for a bit. Thanks for looking.

Cheetah,

I am really enjoying this thread. Your own remarks about the quality, scarcity, etc. along with your anecdotes are priceless. It's so obvious that you are doing this because you genuinely appreciate the runs and want to share them with us for all the right reasons. Btw., I took a look at the census population for Planet this morning and was very surprised how few copies have been graded. This makes your projects even more challenging than I had thought.

Super thread - made my morning reading.

Oddball question.

The lightning goes from the cover to a name on the cover, to disappearing all together.

What happened to the character?

Did he die out or get moved to another book, as the lightning cover you posted earlier looked great.

Cheers

Was this like, a really hard question... lol

In the early days it looks like Fiction House flirted with a number of genres in Jumbo Comics prior to Sheena dominating the covers. I dont know precisely when Lightning ended, but he lingered on for a while. Evidently Sheena was the USP when all around lay competition in the super hero market - at least that is what I infer.

Thanks for that mate - appreciated.

Jumbo044.jpg

Great Jumbos! I love this cover in particular, and love the bright colors on your copy

I sold Jeff many Jumbos over a period of time and this and #36 were the hardest to part with. Their true scarcity can be judged by the fact that, several years on, even a collector as dedicated as cheetah hasn't managed to upgrade them - or indeed a fair number of others I recognize.

I have no idea if there is another complete set from #9 upwards, frankly I doubt it.

Anecdotally, virtually all of the ones I sold Jeff came from a direct purchase of an OAC I pried out of the hands of an Ebay seller who was listing them one or two at a time - by which time there were gaps, but amounted to about 35 issues.And just to be clear, the average grades on display here are way higher, so lots of upgrading has been going on.

Do I regret selling them to Jeff? Naw, he's a great guy (and I used the funds to get into high grade Planets, which would otherwise have been next to impossible, so I was grateful).

Consider that Jeff has completed the Jungles, and is within just a couple of truly difficult issues of completing the Planets, and it a remarkable, epic endeavor, especially in this day and age...

I've been waiting for this thread for a long time - it's one for the ages - and I cant wait to see the other titles!

Chuck McCleary had assembled the entire Fiction House line of comics and I was able to purchase them back in the mid 90s. It was the only complete set I had seen until Jeff's amazing collection started coming together. Clearly Jeff's sets are the best assembled since Edgar's I'd imagine.

Chuck's Jumbos had an average grade of 6.0 if I recall correctly

Thanks for all the comments, guys. It's been an interesting journey to getting the runs together. I would really like to add more of Edgar's copies to the set but I don't really know where they are. I tracked down the Jumbo 9 thanks to Billy and Richard, but they didn't really respond to my inquiries. I think it was my question about restoration that might have done it. Fishler has most of the Church Jungles and all (or mostly all) of the Planets. My inquiry into whether he might sell the Jungles was denied. I probably wouldn't want to pay the price, anyway.

A rhino cover. Not as rare as a warthog cover, but still not as common as a vulture cover.

Kidding aside, this cover calls up an interesting issue related to 'good' colors. Fiction House used the background orange on a lot of covers. Also, when the reds are weak, you get this same orange. So, how do you tell if it is really orange or just faded red?

For me, the telling sign is Sheena's outfit. In well-colored copies, her leopard skin is always highlighted with red. In poor-colored copies, it is just yellow. That would mean that the Jumbo artists were really intending an orange background.

Jumbo83.jpg