• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cheetah runs
4 4

585 posts in this topic

I'm aware that posting a seemingly unending stream of scans in a thread gets a bit annoying for some folks. Just my completed Fiction House runs include over 400 different issues. I didn't want to use up the bandwidth for folks that weren't that interested.

One of the top reason I visit these forums is to see scans of cool comics. So post away :headbang:

Thanks for the thread, Jeff. I never get tired of your scans....or your pestering!

Jeff never pesters me. :sorry:

I don't even know what you own, George. You might have all the issues I'm missing.

I own nothing of consequence. :whistle:

You seem conflicted, George. :makepoint:

Back to the show.

I've long held that the cheetah Law of Collecting says that, as soon as you find a marginal copy of a book you have been pursuing and buy it, a better copy will appear for sale, often before you even get your first copy in the mail. This has been nearly immutable during my collecting days. I've even gone so far as to buy a book below my usual bottom limit, just to force the fate's hand into producing a better copy.

This is one example of the Law in Action.

Jumbo19.jpg

Jumbo's first rhino cover. Rhinos are woefully under represented in Jumbo. Maybe even more than baboons.

This was a tough book to track down, too. I 'settled' for this copy in hopes the Law would produce, but not such luck to date.

Jumbo25_zps2d97b63b.jpg

This is my first example of the Fiction House Syndrome where the highest graded copy is not always the best looking copy. Fiction House is notorious for having weak colors, particularly reds, for a long period during the 1940s. It is a fun challenge to find the best copy with the best colors. I've done pretty well with it but there are plenty of cases where I have two copies: One that CGC says is best and one that I think is best.

Jumbo027.jpg

This was a tough book to find. Unfortunately, cheetah's Law didn't hold up. I'd love to see the Church copy of this one.

Jumbo21_zpsbbcfb31f.jpg

So many nice less seen covers in this batch. Don't recall the one above. The later part of the run are plentiful but these ... not so. :applause:

Last one for now, a really nice Dan Zolnerowich cover. He is very under appreciated when it comes to his Fiction House work.

Jumbo029.jpg

Beautiful Book.

I have to agree, Dan Zolnerowich is under appreciated.

I know I appreciate his work.