• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cheetah runs
4 4

585 posts in this topic

When I got back into collecting in 2006, I was dead set on getting a full run of Avengers. With ebay, I found it took a couple of months and I had a ton of raw Avengers. Then I decided to get a full run of high-grade Avengers. Assembling that run took me about 3.5 years. Along the way, I put together complete runs of Defenders, Marvel Team-up, Doctor Strange, John Carter, and some others. I also put together near complete runs of ASM and X-men. It became pretty clear to me that putting together fulls runs of silver, bronze, copper and modern books wasn't very hard. It was just a matter of being aggressive during auctions and frequenting ebay. I ended up feeling underwhelmed with my collection. It was huge, over 7,000 graded books. My Avengers alone had over 500 9.8 issues. I only needed three X-men and 50 ASM to complete those runs. But it didn't excite me like it had a couple of years previously.

This was about the time that SA keys started to explode in price. I looked at my collection and knew that completing X-men in the grade I wanted would cost me $100k+. ASM was going to be more. And I didn't really want the books that much.

While I was knee-deep in Marvel insanity, I started paying more attention to Golden Age books. Alex Schomburg's airbrush covers on Exciting, Startling, and Thrilling really captivated me. I picked up a low-grade Startling 47 as my first GA purchase. I also looked through ebay and CLink and saw a LOT of Fiction House books, particularly Jumbo and Jungle Comics, that I liked. The Good Girl covers were great and the jungle art was pretty cool. So I started working on these titles in 2008/2009.

As my interest in GA waxed and my interest in Marvel waned, I hit a crossroad and decided to take a left. I sold my Avengers set through Metro as a single lot at a jaw-dropping profit. I took part of the return and bought a number of golden age books. I then auctioned off my ASM and X-men, at no profit at all, and bought some more GA including a few Church copies. Oh, lord, do I love Edgar's books.

After 4-5 years, it is pretty clear that completing a golden age run in high grade is monumentally more difficult than silver age titles. Every GA title seems to have at least one non-key that is freaking impossible to find. Sure, we all know that Jumbo 31 and Planet 15 are notoriously rare, but what about Jungle 29? Or Captain Midnight 47, Exciting Comics 54, Black Cat Mystery 49, Clue Comics 3, Dotty Dripple 1, Incredible Science Fiction 33, Jamboree Comics 3, Li'l Abner 77, Terry and the Pirates 28.... I have found more rocks to turn over looking for books than I ever knew existed. I've gone so far as to pester, beg, and plead to many boardies who owned one of the last issues I needed. There are boardies on my list that don't even know it yet, who have books I would like to barter. I managed to finish my Jumbo run solely because Flex and Mr.Bedrock were willing to give up books they really loved and pass them along to me: Jumbo 31 and Jumbo 11.

So, with all of the rambling self-expose' out of the way, I'm going to start posting my Jumbo run. It starts at #9, the first non-oversized issue. I haven't picked up the first 8 issues because the ones I would like are owned by a boardie.

That's a great story! It gives a good perspective on why many Silver Age collectors transition in the the Golden Age era. Even though I appreciate the Silver Age as much as the next guy, I always felt the fun factor of collecting Golden Age books were multiples higher.

When I got back into collecting in 2006, I was dead set on getting a full run of Avengers. With ebay, I found it took a couple of months and I had a ton of raw Avengers. Then I decided to get a full run of high-grade Avengers. Assembling that run took me about 3.5 years. Along the way, I put together complete runs of Defenders, Marvel Team-up, Doctor Strange, John Carter, and some others. I also put together near complete runs of ASM and X-men. It became pretty clear to me that putting together fulls runs of silver, bronze, copper and modern books wasn't very hard. It was just a matter of being aggressive during auctions and frequenting ebay. I ended up feeling underwhelmed with my collection. It was huge, over 7,000 graded books. My Avengers alone had over 500 9.8 issues. I only needed three X-men and 50 ASM to complete those runs. But it didn't excite me like it had a couple of years previously.

This was about the time that SA keys started to explode in price. I looked at my collection and knew that completing X-men in the grade I wanted would cost me $100k+. ASM was going to be more. And I didn't really want the books that much.

While I was knee-deep in Marvel insanity, I started paying more attention to Golden Age books. Alex Schomburg's airbrush covers on Exciting, Startling, and Thrilling really captivated me. I picked up a low-grade Startling 47 as my first GA purchase. I also looked through ebay and CLink and saw a LOT of Fiction House books, particularly Jumbo and Jungle Comics, that I liked. The Good Girl covers were great and the jungle art was pretty cool. So I started working on these titles in 2008/2009.

As my interest in GA waxed and my interest in Marvel waned, I hit a crossroad and decided to take a left. I sold my Avengers set through Metro as a single lot at a jaw-dropping profit. I took part of the return and bought a number of golden age books. I then auctioned off my ASM and X-men, at no profit at all, and bought some more GA including a few Church copies. Oh, lord, do I love Edgar's books.

After 4-5 years, it is pretty clear that completing a golden age run in high grade is monumentally more difficult than silver age titles. Every GA title seems to have at least one non-key that is freaking impossible to find. Sure, we all know that Jumbo 31 and Planet 15 are notoriously rare, but what about Jungle 29? Or Captain Midnight 47, Exciting Comics 54, Black Cat Mystery 49, Clue Comics 3, Dotty Dripple 1, Incredible Science Fiction 33, Jamboree Comics 3, Li'l Abner 77, Terry and the Pirates 28.... I have found more rocks to turn over looking for books than I ever knew existed. I've gone so far as to pester, beg, and plead to many boardies who owned one of the last issues I needed. There are boardies on my list that don't even know it yet, who have books I would like to barter. I managed to finish my Jumbo run solely because Flex and Mr.Bedrock were willing to give up books they really loved and pass them along to me: Jumbo 31 and Jumbo 11.

So, with all of the rambling self-expose' out of the way, I'm going to start posting my Jumbo run. It starts at #9, the first non-oversized issue. I haven't picked up the first 8 issues because the ones I would like are owned by a boardie.

That's a great story! It gives a good perspective on why many Silver Age collectors transition in the the Golden Age era. Even though I appreciate the Silver Age as much as the next guy, I always felt the fun factor of collecting Golden Age books were multiples higher.

Thanks, West. The challenge is greater and it's pretty sweet to hold a book in your hands that you absolutely know is the best copy on the planet.

A ComicLink purchase that the owner was kind enough to give me a couple of months to pay off when cash flow got tight at work.

Jumbo15.jpg

9.6 White Page non-ped book :o

:hail:

You know I'm going to enjoy this thread. Firehair :luhv:

It makes you wonder if this one lost its designation somewhere.

Thanks, West. The challenge is greater and it's pretty sweet to hold a book in your hands that you absolutely know is the best copy on the planet.

More stories please! :foryou: This thread is the best thing that's happened to Gold in ages!

I have basically sold every silver age and bronze slabbed book I own at this point. I realized I could buy them back whenever I wanted, but the GA books I really, really wanted may only come up for sale once in a blue moon...or never again.

Do you know how many Church books you have in your collection now? Must be hundreds.

I believe it is a little over 300.

:applause:

Soon to be adding one of mine to your collection too. :)

Awesome books and story. Thanks for sharing. Those early Jumbo covers have some excellent drawing going on.