• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cheetah runs
4 4

585 posts in this topic

One thing I find is that people increasingly assume I am a pedigree collector. Edgar Church books aside, the only pedigree I've ever actively sought was the Central Valley collection. It seems, though, that when you get down to looking for nice quality, non-key books from run-of-the-mill titles, the only thing that exists are pedigree copies. For Jumbo and Jungle Comics, the Davis Crippen, Lost Valley, Big Apple, Okajima, and Cosmic Aeroplane pedigrees all have helped fill in the mid to late runs. For Jungle, the Rockford pedigree has been pretty key to completing the early portions of the title. The Church books, though, are hands down the best copies when compared to the rest. Lost Valley is second. Crippen Jumbos and Jungles suffer from a lot of foxing and, I assume, were largely left in the garage where moisture was a problem. They are easily the poorest of the Jungle and Jumbo pedigrees. That also made them the easiest to find and the most cost-effective to purchase. I've bought and sold a lot of Crippen books as I've often been able to find better copies.

Back to Sheena and the toughest part of the run: 30-32.

30, 31, and 32 were the toughest consecutive books to find. I was able to get Rob Reynolds at ComicConnect/Metro to help me out and Matt Nelson was able to get some glue off this cover, at least enough to keep it from a purple label.

Jumbo30_zps0c448af5.jpg

This one is legendary for its rarity. John Verzyl told me that FH was asked to not distribute one of their books for this month because it gave a remarkably accurate depiction of US radar technology, even though it was made up. I believe it was Rangers that did this, but I could be wrong. John is a wealth of knowledge but sometimes my mind wanders.

Michael bought this one off ebay and was kind enough to pass it on to me.

Jumbo31_zps64c517a6.jpg

This one is legendary for its rarity. John Verzyl told me that FH was asked to not distribute one of their books for this month because it gave a remarkably accurate depiction of US radar technology, even though it was made up. I believe it was Rangers that did this, but I could be wrong. John is a wealth of knowledge but sometimes my mind wanders.

Michael bought this one off ebay and was kind enough to pass it on to me.

Jumbo31_zps64c517a6.jpg

good ol' eldon! good ol' flex!

I would be interested to see if folks think this is another Zolnerowich cover or not. It is the only one in his run of covers that doesn't have his name on it. CGC doesn't attribute it to him. For me, the lion seems like his work but Sheena's hair is longer and her outfit is fuzzier than Zolnerowich usually drew her.

Jumbo043.jpg