• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Archie 50 in Sparkle City auction 7.0

23 posts in this topic

This copy had my attention all week. I wasn't sure what it would go for but I think it's a fair price for a very sweet copy that doesn't come around often in higher grades.

Was wondering if anyone else was looking and if you got it. hm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380717617386?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Yeah I thought it would go for over a grand, but it's nice to think there are still some decent deals out there. The 6.0 on Ha went for a reasonable price as well. Regardless it seemed like a strong auction for SC. I didn't really need any of the books, but watched them all end, and did grab the copy of B&V 21, cause I needed an upgrade, and I hate to see a great run of old Archie/MLJ's end with getting a piece of the pie.

Maybe auctioning so many of the same genre off at once, ending so close together hurt them. I mean, it was hard enough to catch every ending, let alone, bid on every one - had I or anyone wanted to.

On a side note, what do you think of the price the coverless Pep 22 brought?

I thought the price was around what I would expect for the Pep 22.

Pep 36 prices continue to be strong at $4K for the CGC 2.0.

$1000 for the Pep 28 in 3.0 was a shocker for me as was nearly $700 for the restored Pep 35.

Maybe it's time to sell... hm

The price it sold for shows me that I most likely will never own a copy of it. :(

You and me both. Frustrating to know that I will own every Archie/MLJ ever published but one.

I'm pretty sure you could turn one of your Archie 1s into a Pep 22 :baiting:

The price it sold for shows me that I most likely will never own a copy of it. :(

You and me both. Frustrating to know that I will own every Archie/MLJ ever published but one.

I'm pretty sure you could turn one of your Archie 1s into a Pep 22 :baiting:

Are you making me an offer Steve? :wishluck:

Believe me, I'd love to turn an Archie 1 into a Pep 22! Please direct the person willing to make that trade my way!

Maybe auctioning so many of the same genre off at once, ending so close together hurt them. I mean, it was hard enough to catch every ending, let alone, bid on every one - had I or anyone wanted to.

I agree. Kind of like when they auctioned off a ton of Matt Baker books in a couple of auctions. I'm sure SC knows what they're doing, but from a buyer's point of view having a bunch of related books in the same auction keeps me from bidding on as many of them as I would if they were spread out over a couple of months. Only so much I can spend on comics each month without being hauled into divorce court!

I agree. Kind of like when they auctioned off a ton of Matt Baker books in a couple of auctions. I'm sure SC knows what they're doing, but from a buyer's point of view having a bunch of related books in the same auction keeps me from bidding on as many of them as I would if they were spread out over a couple of months. Only so much I can spend on comics each month without being hauled into divorce court!

EXACTLY! My wife is a divorce lawyer to boot! :rulez:

EXACTLY! My wife is a divorce lawyer to boot! :rulez:

Yipes! :o

I wonder if a few anomalous sales of high demand GA books in the 6.5-7.0 range for 5X or more of what more accessible VG range copies sell for has skewed expectations.

While Archie 50 may not show up much in the upper mid grades, more or less VG copies seem reasonably common on ebay and usually sell for around $250 or so, so a CGC 7.0 selling for roughly 3X FMV of a VG seems logical.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I wish I grabbed that Archie 50 as it was a fair price. I definitely thought it would go for over a grand and didn't bid on it.

I did the same thing you did. If one more bidder wanted it and bid, it likely would have closed over a grand.

I didn't even see this Roly Poly listed until after the auction close. I've always heard speculation that the cover characters were Archie, Jughead, Betty, and Veronica.

Roly Poly

rp1_zpsa59a80b1.jpg

Of course on this issue, they really bear closer resemblance. Especially given that this image is swiped from Pep 54.

z-rolypoly-11.jpg