• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was a neutral appropriate?

177 posts in this topic

Waiting for comic books just to put them away never got to me. Waiting for clink or HA to ship something I had won and paid a month prior and I wont even go there about CGC and all the waiting that is involved. Heck Kenny is restoring a book for me he has had since March. Waiting is an every day part of this game. You obviously want your books and want them right now. Try telling yourself that they are yours when you pay or submit them. Possesion need not be so physical. People often sell books they dont have cause they are at CGC. It seems you may be blocked from buying from this seller, maybe no big deal. Neutral feedback, while you think it may be less than Neg still carries the same weight and can remove/reduce a sellers 20% discount. Thats why he is pizzed.

Yeah I did think long and hard about it before leaving a neutral as I know it effects their livelihood.

I don't want my books now, I have a few books still out in the wild that I bought last year which have still not returned. What I do want is good communication and not telling me you will ship a book and then not doing it and general crummy customer service.

Did you pay separately for shipping or was it part of the price?

While there isn't really a difference, my gut instinct tells me that is a bit too long to sit on a book if someone has shelled out $20 or whatever for priority mail shipping.

OTOH, do they have a "handling time" in their terms? I know I usually can't get to things right away, run out of supplies, etc. and include, I think, a five day handling time to give me a few days to get my sh**t together and put the buyer on notice (aside from the notice in my sales descriptions saying I am not a fast shipper) that this is part of the price (as I generally had free shipping on my ebay stuff).

honestly, i dunno, a "1" on shipping time probably does more damage than a neutral, but I don't know ebay's sytem

I am not sure how it works either but I have heard from sellers that they can get messed up pretty good by those 1-5 rankings. A lot of sellers have gone to working shipping cost into the item and giving "free" shipping because that removes the ability to rate their shipping on the 1-5 scale.

Maybe it's just me, but as soon as I am paid, I treat the item as if it isn't mine any more and I move to get it out as fast as I can and as a priority above other things. If I run into a problem or run out of materials I am emailing (or PMing) several times to let the person know. Communication can solve almost all these problems. Given this seller's reaction he's not so good at the communication thing.

Spot on seller has three other neutrals and a negative from this year for communication related issues and one other neutral for slow shipping.

I think this case was borderline and I should have given the benefit of the doubt.

Oh well you learn.

He exceeded his own shipping estimate by over 550% without a word to you as to when, or why....I think he blew past the borderline somewhere around Albuquerque.

lol I don't know what to think now. opinions are divided.

The thing I found most frustrating was they gave an undertaking to ship it on that seven day mark. Then didn't, and by then it must have been obvious I was uptight, and to top it off they didn't let me know it hand't shipped on the seventh day until I again followed it up.

It is a difficult balancing act when the conduct is not fraudulent, as the feedback is tied to their livelihood. So I don't think there is a definitive answer except in all but the worst cases.

Waiting for comic books just to put them away never got to me. Waiting for clink or HA to ship something I had won and paid a month prior and I wont even go there about CGC and all the waiting that is involved. Heck Kenny is restoring a book for me he has had since March. Waiting is an every day part of this game. You obviously want your books and want them right now. Try telling yourself that they are yours when you pay or submit them. Possesion need not be so physical. People often sell books they dont have cause they are at CGC. It seems you may be blocked from buying from this seller, maybe no big deal. Neutral feedback, while you think it may be less than Neg still carries the same weight and can remove/reduce a sellers 20% discount. Thats why he is pizzed.

Yeah I did think long and hard about it before leaving a neutral as I know it effects their livelihood.

I don't want my books now, I have a few books still out in the wild that I bought last year which have still not returned. What I do want is good communication and not telling me you will ship a book and then not doing it and general crummy customer service.

While there isn't really a difference, my gut instinct tells me that is a bit too long to sit on a book if someone has shelled out $20 or whatever for priority mail shipping.

OTOH, do they have a "handling time" in their terms? I know I usually can't get to things right away, run out of supplies, etc. and include, I think, a five day handling time to give me a few days to get my sh**t together and put the buyer on notice (aside from the notice in my sales descriptions saying I am not a fast shipper) that this is part of the price (as I generally had free shipping on my ebay stuff).

honestly, i dunno, a "1" on shipping time probably does more damage than a neutral, but I don't know ebay's sytem

I am not sure how it works either but I have heard from sellers that they can get messed up pretty good by those 1-5 rankings. A lot of sellers have gone to working shipping cost into the item and giving "free" shipping because that removes the ability to rate their shipping on the 1-5 scale.

Maybe it's just me, but as soon as I am paid, I treat the item as if it isn't mine any more and I move to get it out as fast as I can and as a priority above other things. If I run into a problem or run out of materials I am emailing (or PMing) several times to let the person know. Communication can solve almost all these problems. Given this seller's reaction he's not so good at the communication thing.

Spot on seller has three other neutrals and a negative from this year for communication related issues and one other neutral for slow shipping.

I think this case was borderline and I should have given the benefit of the doubt.

Oh well you learn.

He exceeded his own shipping estimate by over 550% without a word to you as to when, or why....I think he blew past the borderline somewhere around Albuquerque.

lol I don't know what to think now. opinions are divided.

The thing I found most frustrating was they gave an undertaking to ship it on that seven day mark. Then didn't, and by then it must have been obvious I was uptight, and to top it off they didn't let me know it hand't shipped on the seventh day until I again followed it up.

It is a difficult balancing act when the conduct is not fraudulent, as the feedback is tied to their livelihood. So I don't think there is a definitive answer except in all but the worst cases.

Frankly, the responsibility to preserve his livelihood is on him and not on you. If it's that important to him he could have 1) shipped within his estimate, 2) let you know he couldn't ship within his estimate, 3) shipped within his much later revised estimate, 4) proactively communicated with you at any time throughout the process to put you at ease and to be as empathetic to your worries as you are trying to be now with his.

If I were buying comics from eBay (especially $500 books), I would be more concerned with getting what I ordered and in the condition described.

Did you read this part

Overcharged on shipping and seemed annoyed when I asked for it to be box shipped even though it was a $500 book.

What is your ebay handle mark ? :popcorn:

I read it and I didn't say what the seller did was right. I said I wouldn't leave a neutral.

Guitarsmarco1 - I'm as honest a seller there is but go ahead and block me Thomas.

If I were buying comics from eBay (especially $500 books), I would be more concerned with getting what I ordered and in the condition described.

Did you read this part

Overcharged on shipping and seemed annoyed when I asked for it to be box shipped even though it was a $500 book.

I read it and I didn't say what the seller did was right. I said I wouldn't leave a neutral.

I guess the question is, would you have come to CG and started a thread bashing the seller by name to the ends of the earth. hm

Oh well you learn.

Based on this sellers feedback, I wouldn't have bought from them in the first place with three neutrals already in a year. That's a big red flag to me and should have been to you.

Did you read this part

I guess the question is, would you have come to CG and started a thread bashing the seller by name to the ends of the earth. hm

No I wouldn't post a thread about waiting 2 weeks for an ebay sale, but I'm not really sure what you are referring to. Do you mean the OP or something I did in the past? (shrug)

Did you read this part

No I wouldn't post a thread about waiting 2 weeks for an ebay sale, but I'm not really sure what you are referring to. Do you mean the OP or something I did in the past? (shrug)

I remember some threads you started complaining about customer service from sellers, at shows, etc. If I remember right they weren't on the same level as someone taking $500 of your cash and not delivering items in the time promised and then swearing at you for complaining.

If I were buying comics from eBay (especially $500 books), I would be more concerned with getting what I ordered and in the condition described. That's the biggest issue with eBay.

Big +1

Generally ebay purchases for me, are deals I could not pass up. If a $500 book is as described, there is absolutely no way I am leaving anything other than positive feedback and risk not being able to buy from a seller that offers such deals in the future.

If it's someone you've never dealt with, and it's $500+, and the auction says 2 days shipping time and it's now 11+....I'd be pretty concerned. In any other business setting a lack of open communication and broken shipping estimates are red flags that are rather logical reasons for worry.

The ends don't justify the means in every situation. He had every right to be worried given it wasn't some $10 book.

I am usually more concerned about the seller deciding that they "can't find it" than it coming a little late. Regardless, delivery time plays virtually no role in the feedback, positive/neutral/none at all, that I would leave. That is what the shipping time DSR is for, as far as I am concerned.

It is kind of an odd juxtaposition, in that I generally send everything out the next day.

Did you read this part

I remember some threads you started complaining about customer service from sellers, at shows, etc. If I remember right they weren't on the same level as someone taking $500 of your cash and not delivering items in the time promised and then swearing at you for complaining.

Apples and oranges.

That incident (which is long since over and worked out with the dealer) was about me driving 75 miles when I was told I could return an item and then the dealer not showing up to the show.

Not a close comparison.

:)

Did you read this part

Apples and oranges.

That incident (which is long since over and worked out with the dealer) was about me driving 75 miles when I was told I could return an item and then the dealer not showing up to the show.

Not a close comparison.

You're right. It's not a close comparison.

Your situation was 75 miles...2 hours of your time taken... versus the OP being ignored and worrying about his book from a rude seller and having 2 weeks of his time taken.

So it's not close. That's correct.

Did you read this part

Apples and oranges.

Not a close comparison.

You're right. It's not a close comparison.

Your situation was 75 miles...2 hours of your time taken... versus the OP being ignored and worrying about his book from a rude seller and having 2 weeks of his time taken.

So it's not close. That's correct.

Whatever you say man.

Have a great day

I concur with your decision to leave a neutral. You did in fact receive what you paid for, but the experience certainly fell short of "positive." A little open communication or reasonable explanation might've preempted the entire scenario.

A few things to consider: the tone of the message you quoted should have gone a long way to eliminate some of the "benefit of the doubt" responses in this thread. Obviosuly this is not a case of a great seller who just got a little overwhelmed because of all the amazing deals he was posting.

There is a fundamental incompatibility between the idea of "preserving his livelihood" and his unprofessional behavior. OUR CREW WAS ON VACATION! ITS SUMMER TIME AND THE WORLD GOES AWAY! Really? I should try that with my boss. I'm not coming to work today because it's summer time and the world goes away. I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart, McDonald's, and DC Comics all close in the sumemr too. Oh wait, actual businesses do what they have to do to cover down on the shortfalls. It's not your responsibility to accomodate this guy's issues.

I don't think I would leave Neutral on a situation like that when the seller communicated the delay. Even without communication, I don't think I'd leave it on shipping delays. I reserve Neutral for things like poor packaging - things that will effect a potential buyer's merchandise adversely.