• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was a neutral appropriate?

177 posts in this topic

If I were buying comics from eBay (especially $500 books), I would be more concerned with getting what I ordered and in the condition described.

Did you read this part

Overcharged on shipping and seemed annoyed when I asked for it to be box shipped even though it was a $500 book.

What is your ebay handle mark ? :popcorn:

I read it and I didn't say what the seller did was right. I said I wouldn't leave a neutral.

I guess the question is, would you have come to CG and started a thread bashing the seller by name to the ends of the earth. hm

No I wouldn't post a thread about waiting 2 weeks for an ebay sale, but I'm not really sure what you are referring to. Do you mean the OP or something I did in the past? (shrug)

I remember some threads you started complaining about customer service from sellers, at shows, etc. If I remember right they weren't on the same level as someone taking $500 of your cash and not delivering items in the time promised and then swearing at you for complaining.

Apples and oranges.

That incident (which is long since over and worked out with the dealer) was about me driving 75 miles when I was told I could return an item and then the dealer not showing up to the show.

Not a close comparison.

:)

You're right. It's not a close comparison.

Your situation was 75 miles...2 hours of your time taken... versus the OP being ignored and worrying about his book from a rude seller and having 2 weeks of his time taken.

So it's not close. That's correct.

Whatever you say man.

Have a great day

C'mon. You don't think it's the least bit ironic that you felt justified in starting an entirely negative thread about a seller that inconvenienced you for a couple of hours and still feel it your place to take the position the OP he had no business giving this guy a neutral (not even a neg) for an 11+ day delay, profane emails, and generally keeping him on the dark on a $500+ purchase?

I'd probably default to the "Whatever you say man" defense if I had been caught in that kind of contradiction too. So I understand. :foryou:

I don't think I would leave Neutral on a situation like that when the seller communicated the delay. Even without communication, I don't think I'd leave it on shipping delays. I reserve Neutral for things like poor packaging - things that will effect a potential buyer's merchandise adversely.

I agree, communicating about the delay ahead of time would have prevented a neutral.

The buyer had to contact the seller in this case, and then he still waiting another 4 days to ship without letting the buyer know. He promised 2 days through the auction. 7 days pass with no word. Then the buyer contacts him, seller says he'll get it out now, then waits another 4 days to ship. lol

I wonder how long the buyer would have been waiting to hear from the seller if he didn't keep trying.

The neutral was well deserved and appropriate . I would have changed it to a negative after receiving a profanity laced email complaining about the neutral .

I am surprised after that email you considered changing to positive feedback.

If he had sent a nice email asking to change it, yes possibly. But a rude email, no freaking way .

OP, the real issue here is what DSRs you left the seller, not the neutral. I didn't read that here, unless I missed it somewhere.

Negs/Neuts do not get sellers thrown off ebay or cause them to lose TRS Plus status (which could end their business also).... star dings do.

A buyer may be hurting himself and the entire collecting community by leaving less than 5 stars. You have to ask yourself, do I want to cut my own nose off to spite my face.......... and that of other collectors as well?

Was this seller a scammer, DD, Ewert, PGX Daniel, etc, etc, type of person?

I agree the shipping delay and offensive email was unprofessional. But do you want this seller thrown off ebay where no one can ever buy from him again? That is the real question here.

So I ask you... what DSRs did you leave the seller?

The neutral was well deserved and appropriate . I would have changed it to a negative after receiving a profanity laced email complaining about the neutral .

I am surprised after that email you considered changing to positive feedback.

If he had sent a nice email asking to change it, yes possibly. But a rude email, no freaking way .

+1 ^^

What's your ebay name?

Why?

He's probably going to block you from bidding on his books.

I thought so. lol

Like I said If a majority think it was not warranted I will remove it, if that is possible. I felt bad after leaving it and then the strong response made me feel even worse, so I thought I would seek guidance from the brains trust.

So in other words, if you were treated like mess after spending your hard earned money on making someone richer and then you were yelled at by the same person... that will make you feel bad???

I dont know how many people here or on this planet take a $500.00 transaction lightly, but judging by the state of the economy nowadays a seller should be thankful to customers who spend money to stimulate it as opposed to acting like a lowlife sob overreacting to a mistake that you owned.

I'd write to eBay instead if I were you and tell them the whole story from beginning to end and how professional the seller was with his comments to you, that will put him out of business REAL FAST!

And yeah, Im a seller myself and I always treat my buyers with utmost respect

If I were buying comics from eBay (especially $500 books), I would be more concerned with getting what I ordered and in the condition described.

Did you read this part

Overcharged on shipping and seemed annoyed when I asked for it to be box shipped even though it was a $500 book.

I read it and I didn't say what the seller did was right. I said I wouldn't leave a neutral.

I guess the question is, would you have come to CG and started a thread bashing the seller by name to the ends of the earth. hm

No I wouldn't post a thread about waiting 2 weeks for an ebay sale, but I'm not really sure what you are referring to. Do you mean the OP or something I did in the past? (shrug)

I remember some threads you started complaining about customer service from sellers, at shows, etc. If I remember right they weren't on the same level as someone taking $500 of your cash and not delivering items in the time promised and then swearing at you for complaining.

Apples and oranges.

That incident (which is long since over and worked out with the dealer) was about me driving 75 miles when I was told I could return an item and then the dealer not showing up to the show.

Not a close comparison.

Your situation was 75 miles...2 hours of your time taken... versus the OP being ignored and worrying about his book from a rude seller and having 2 weeks of his time taken.

Whatever you say man.

Have a great day

C'mon. You don't think it's the least bit ironic that you felt justified in starting an entirely negative thread about a seller that inconvenienced you for a couple of hours and still feel it your place to take the position the OP he had no business giving this guy a neutral (not even a neg) for an 11+ day delay, profane emails, and generally keeping him on the dark on a $500+ purchase?

I'd probably default to the "Whatever you say man" defense if I had been caught in that kind of contradiction too. So I understand. :foryou:

Thanks for twisting my response for your benefit. :)

It's not ironic because it's apples and oranges. Not close.

If you aren't happy I started a thread about that particular dealer, then come clean on your own agenda. hm

I've lost many hours worrying about sellers shipping things and delays. We all have. I put these types of situations in perspective. Waiting a couple of weeks for a package from eBay isn't horrible. I personally wouldn't leave a neutral. If I were that bothered, i'd chalk it up that I wouldn't buy from that person again.

re: my thread from last year: Sure, I was angry at the time and in retrospect shouldn't have started that thread.

I don't agree about giving the seller a neutral. The OP asked for opinions.

This is mine. Agree to disagree and move on.

:foryou:

Did you read this part

Apples and oranges.

Not a close comparison.

Whatever you say man.

Have a great day

Thanks for twisting my response for your benefit. :)

It's not ironic because it's apples and oranges. Not close.

If you aren't happy I started a thread about that particular dealer, then come clean on your own agenda. hm

I've lost many hours worrying about sellers shipping things and delays. We all have. I put these types of situations in perspective. Waiting a couple of weeks for a package from eBay isn't horrible. I personally wouldn't leave a neutral. I'd chalk it up that I wouldn't buy from that person again.

re: my thread from last year: Sure, I was angry at the time and in retrospect shouldn't have started that thread.

I don't agree about giving the seller a neutral. The OP asked for opinions.

This is mine. Agree to disagree and move on.

:foryou:

I am happy you started a thread. You had a gripe and you aired it.

I am happy the OP started a thread and left a neutral. He had a gripe and aired it and left a neutral about it.

You both had every right to say something and do something if you think you were wronged.

I am just saying if I jumped to gripe for something that happened to me, I wouldn't be telling other people NOT to take a similar action when something happened to them.

I have no agenda other than being crushed under the irony of someone, who banged the drum loudly for their own perceived problem, telling someone else to "keep it down."

I didn't tell him to keep it down.

He asked for opinions. I don't think I would leave a neutral or neg in THAT situation.

It's how I feel.

For MY situation last year and calling out that dealer, I felt it was an obvious issue by speaking to me on the phone (his shop) and telling me to come down the next day to exchange the book with him and the dealer not showing up.... (but, like I said earlier, that dealer and I are totally cool with each other. I have no issues with him).

Seems a bit more egregious than an online purchase being delayed in shipping for an item but still getting exactly what was ordered.

The seller should've seen this coming. He's on eBay.

I bend over backwards to ship fast because eBay expects it of me and I know especially in dealing with comics, people want their books fast. If I make a mistake, I go out of my way to apologize and do something extra to make it up to the customer so they're happy and hopefully keep them coming back for more $500 purchases.

If I put 2 day shipping in my listing, I'm shipping it in 1.

I have free shipping on all listings to avoid any unnecessary DSR comments.

I use boxes.

I provide additional scans when requested.

Seems to me that if you sell $500 books on eBay, you'd (the seller) understand this, and it's not like if he complained to eBay he'd have a leg to stand on in disputing the neutral.

Everybody's asking for the buyer's (OP) eBay handle? I'd rather have the sellers eBay handle. Given his actions and the response, he sounds like he's in over his head and not someone I'd be interested in spending that kind of money with.

Tough times happen, but if you accept the responsibility of selling $500 items on eBay, you should accept the responsibilities that go along with it and act accordingly.

If I were buying comics from eBay (especially $500 books), I would be more concerned with getting what I ordered and in the condition described. That's the biggest issue with eBay.

Big +1

Generally ebay purchases for me, are deals I could not pass up. If a $500 book is as described, there is absolutely no way I am leaving anything other than positive feedback and risk not being able to buy from a seller that offers such deals in the future.

So, you possibly reward bad behaviour by a seller just so you can keep buying books from him.

hm

-slym

People have good intentions and sometimes life gets in the way.

Shipping within 2 weeks of an order is not out of the ordinary. If I have to wait two weeks for an order from eBay i'm not losing sleep over it.

Of course life gets in the way. However, that's where communication comes into play. If I sold you a book and told you that it would ship within three days and then it was two weeks later, you still didn't have the book and I never contacted you to tell you why there would be a delay, you are saying you'd be okay with that? I sure wouldn't.

As I understand it, the OP was told the comic would ship within two days. It didn't and the seller didn't say why. The OP contacted the seller and was told that the comic would ship that day. It didn't. Wasn't shipped until four days after that. Sorry, that's poor service. Am I going to lose sleep over it? No, but let's call it what it is, bad service.

Here, here!

:applause:

-slym

Waiting for comic books just to put them away never got to me. Waiting for clink or HA to ship something I had won and paid a month prior and I wont even go there about CGC and all the waiting that is involved. Heck Kenny is restoring a book for me he has had since March. Waiting is an every day part of this game. You obviously want your books and want them right now. Try telling yourself that they are yours when you pay or submit them. Possesion need not be so physical. People often sell books they dont have cause they are at CGC. It seems you may be blocked from buying from this seller, maybe no big deal. Neutral feedback, while you think it may be less than Neg still carries the same weight and can remove/reduce a sellers 20% discount. Thats why he is pizzed.

Yeah I did think long and hard about it before leaving a neutral as I know it effects their livelihood.

I don't want my books now, I have a few books still out in the wild that I bought last year which have still not returned. What I do want is good communication and not telling me you will ship a book and then not doing it and general crummy customer service.

Did you pay separately for shipping or was it part of the price?

While there isn't really a difference, my gut instinct tells me that is a bit too long to sit on a book if someone has shelled out $20 or whatever for priority mail shipping.

OTOH, do they have a "handling time" in their terms? I know I usually can't get to things right away, run out of supplies, etc. and include, I think, a five day handling time to give me a few days to get my sh**t together and put the buyer on notice (aside from the notice in my sales descriptions saying I am not a fast shipper) that this is part of the price (as I generally had free shipping on my ebay stuff).

honestly, i dunno, a "1" on shipping time probably does more damage than a neutral, but I don't know ebay's sytem

I am not sure how it works either but I have heard from sellers that they can get messed up pretty good by those 1-5 rankings. A lot of sellers have gone to working shipping cost into the item and giving "free" shipping because that removes the ability to rate their shipping on the 1-5 scale.

Maybe it's just me, but as soon as I am paid, I treat the item as if it isn't mine any more and I move to get it out as fast as I can and as a priority above other things. If I run into a problem or run out of materials I am emailing (or PMing) several times to let the person know. Communication can solve almost all these problems. Given this seller's reaction he's not so good at the communication thing.

Spot on seller has three other neutrals and a negative from this year for communication related issues and one other neutral for slow shipping.

I think this case was borderline and I should have given the benefit of the doubt.

Oh well you learn.

Can you imagine the responses here had you neg'd him?

:lol:

-slym

I know it's not quite the same but it's close:

Yesterday I asked a seller for a scan of a FC where I could see the left side of the book (it was cut off in the sales pic) and a BC scan. The sellers response was: "I don't have other scans, but I take returns"

My response: " Thanks and good luck"

Sometimes you have to read between the lines, and just avoid a problem before it happens. If you make a simple request like you did, and aren't happy with the response, move on.

Also why have your "ship by date" at such a low #? I don't sell on eBay, but as a buyer I'm not horrified when I see "usually ships in 3-5 days". 11 days to ship is nuts, and I just wouldn't have left feedback. Though after the all caps rant I agree with the neutral.

Oh! And I'm ranting now, but what was the response to the questions about the book? Was it as stated, were you happy with it?

He asked for opinions. I don't think I would leave a neutral or neg in THAT situation.

It's how I feel.

For MY situation last year and calling out that dealer, I felt it was an obvious issue by speaking to me on the phone (his shop) and telling me to come down the next day to exchange the book with him and the dealer not showing up.... (but, like I said earlier, that dealer and I are totally cool with each other. I have no issues with him).

Seems a bit more egregious than an online purchase being delayed in shipping for an item but still getting exactly what was ordered.

Ugh...it's called a metaphor.

Simply put you felt entirely justified in posting negatively because you were inconvenienced for a couple of hours. There wasn't anything the seller did except not be there to meet you and you felt it was entirely ok for your to rant negatively here about it.

Flash forward to now.

Now you are saying the OP was wrong to leave a neutral (not a negative) about a seller that blew his own shipping deadline, twice, for a $500 book, and didn't communicate anything to the buyer on his own, and then sent him a profanity laced email. You got your situation resolved eventually, and he got his resolved eventually (except for the profanity, overcharged shipping, etc).

Diminishing the OPs situation by calling what the seller did as a simple "shipping delay" without the context is not entirely forthcoming.

The only thing I can think of that makes you think your situation was so much worse than the OP's is that yours happened to you and his didn't.

If I were buying comics from eBay (especially $500 books), I would be more concerned with getting what I ordered and in the condition described. That's the biggest issue with eBay.

Big +1

Generally ebay purchases for me, are deals I could not pass up. If a $500 book is as described, there is absolutely no way I am leaving anything other than positive feedback and risk not being able to buy from a seller that offers such deals in the future.

So, you possibly reward bad behaviour by a seller just so you can keep buying books from him.

hm

-slym

Absolutely not, as I posted earlier, I don't consider delayed shipping of an ebay purchase, neutral or neg worthy, nor would it keep me from buying from a seller again, if they delivered my order as described.

I also noted that I consider dinging the shipping time DSR for egregiously late shipping and I definitely would not change the feedback after the sellers agressive response.

It's how I feel.

Ugh...it's called a metaphor.

Simply put you felt entirely justified in posting negatively because you were inconvenienced for a couple of hours. There wasn't anything the seller did except not be there to meet you and you felt it was entirely ok for your to rant negatively here about it.

Flash forward to now.

Now you are saying the OP was wrong to leave a neutral (not a negative) about a seller that blew his own shipping deadline, twice, for a $500 book, and didn't communicate anything to the buyer on his own, and then sent him a profanity laced email. You got your situation resolved eventually, and he got his resolved eventually (except for the profanity, overcharged shipping, etc).

Diminishing the OPs situation by calling what the seller did as a simple "shipping delay" without the context is not entirely forthcoming.

The only thing I can think of that makes you think your situation was so much worse than the OP's is that yours happened to you and his didn't.

What are you ranting and raving about? I'm not being forthcoming? About what exactly?

The profanity laced letter came AFTER he left the guy a neutral. That wasn't the question. The seller was definitely wrong doing that after receiving a neutral. I wouldn't do it and I sure wouldn't buy from the seller again due to it.

But, that's not the issue here. It was if he should have left a neutral on eBay. Knowing full well what can happen to you when buying on eBay AND that the seller already had neutrals for other issues AND shipping delays....He received a package within 2 weeks of buying it off ebay. That is a acceptable range of time and I don't see it as Neutral or Neg worthy.

If you see it differently, (thumbs u for you

He got what he ordered.