• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Sub-Mariner #6

11 posts in this topic

This one is better, but unfortunately has a bit of suntan on the back cover.

A single spine tick. There is also a small bit torn out, but it appears production-related (these late Marvel Silvers were often roughly cut).

High resolution links provided below each picture.

Thanks once again all those who’ll help. (thumbs u

U3ufMlNh.jpg

High resolution: http://i.imgur.com/U3ufMlN.jpg

davsWlmh.jpg

High resolution: http://i.imgur.com/davsWlm.jpg

I counted five (5) spine ticks, four (4) with colour breaks, you have several small colour breaks on the RHS of the front cover starting near the second "R" in Sub-mariner and the last one at the bottom of page near the left buttocks. There are some colour chips on the RHS of the edge of the cover as well. You have the obvious dust shadow on the back cover and the slightly blunted bottom RH corner. The book probably looks much better in hand. I would grade this one 7.5 to 8.0. If the chip/missing edge piece on the LHS of the back cover is not production related it might drop the grade.

(I am staring to hate looking at the large scans and noticing all of the defects that are present)

Thanks everyone. (thumbs u

(I am staring to hate looking at the large scans and noticing all of the defects that are present)

I think that may be a problem… :(

The book looks amazing in hand, the color breaks are so small that is barely noticeable in hand, now that I look better they are two, but the other is a non-color breaking tic which is truly invisible in hand.

All that you see on the right side is chipping, entirely production related, and due to the cutting, which as I said is often rough in these cases.

What I fear would bring down the grade on this is the BC dust shadow, but I asked since I don’t know how much such a dust shadow could hammer it.

The corners are razor sharp, I really think this would be in the NM range if not for the dust shadow…

Thanks everyone. (thumbs u

I think that may be a problem… :(

The book looks amazing in hand, the color breaks are so small that is barely noticeable in hand, now that I look better they are two, but the other is a non-color breaking tic which is truly invisible in hand.

All that you see on the right side is chipping, entirely production related, and due to the cutting, which as I said is often rough in these cases.

What I fear would bring down the grade on this is the BC dust shadow, but I asked since I don’t know how much such a dust shadow could hammer it.

The corners are razor sharp, I really think this would be in the NM range if not for the dust shadow…

I agree that the large scans can pose somewhat of a problem. Having said that I have scanned in many books only to find flaws that I could not detect. Other times some spine ticks I have scanned are not colour breaks but just stress lines. The scanner light makes them look like colour breaks! doh!

And I know sharp corners can appear less sharp once they have been magnified but is that what CGC does? Do they take large scans of the books to review on screen and then scrutinize in hand? Maybe? ???

I only have a large number of 9.8 books in my possession and I am amazed sometimes by the number of flaws that a book may have that I can detect now that I have been testing me grading skills! :ohnoez:

I want to get better at the review and the scans are certainly a step in the right direction.

You mean the 9.8 were graded and then deslabbed to see the very minor flaws?

It is clear that all the terrain between 9.6 and 10 is pretty much tricky ground but here I assure you I am more interested to understand how the dust shadow affects the grade, as the book is really gorgeous otherwise. :)

You mean the 9.8 were graded and then deslabbed to see the very minor flaws?

It is clear that all the terrain between 9.6 and 10 is pretty much tricky ground but here I assure you I am more interested to understand how the dust shadow affects the grade, as the book is really gorgeous otherwise. :)

Heck no, I don't "deslab" my books. I just meant that looking at them through the holder I can see the defects that I thought might keep it from being a 9.8!

I'm like you though and want to get a better understanding of the 9.6 to 10 terrain (as you call it). I want to find a "perfect" 10 just to be able to say "I found it, I found it!" :acclaim:

As for the foxing or dust shadows they are allowed up to a certain grade but after a certain level it is not permitted, at least according to Overstreet GG! I tend to try and stay close to their grading standards since it seems to be the most recognized authority. Well Overstreet and CGC that is.