• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPOILER-FILLED thread about Agents Of SHIELD
1 1

2,204 posts in this topic

I just watched the second episode. So far I've been very underwhelmed. It's like Agent Coulson with the cast of Saved By the Bell. The action sequences are directed like a bad 80s action flick. All the dialogue is rushed and there's no character development. Ugh. I hope it gets better quickly.

Agreed. It's like Marvel's Agents of G.L.E.E. or S.H.I.E.L.D. 90210. They've got a couple of token grown-ups in the cast, but it's mostly good-looking kids to go after the younger CW network demographic. But, it airs at 8pm and is about as edgy as a bowling ball. It's just not working.

Coulson is clearly a clone/android/LMD. Either that or Clark Gregg is the worst actor of all time, as he's playing the role with robotic-like stiffness. I suspect it's intentional, but to have an unglamorous, middle-aged dude purposely acting without charisma in the lead role is just adding unnecessary blandness to the already bland show (Agents of B.L.A.N.D.?) I'm not sure how Ming-Na Wen (5'4" on a good day and nearly 50 years old) got cast in her role; she's just not a credible a$$-kicker to me. Brett Dalton as Ward is about as useful to the show as a chocolate teapot - could they have found a blander side of beefcake for the part? He and the rest of the cast could have been rejects from any show on the CW network, with the exception that two of them have foreign accents. :facepalm:

This show is proving to be the worst of all worlds - a horrifically sucky show that I feel compelled to watch because it's S.H.I.E.L.D. (was always a big fan of the comics). I mean, AoS is making that Nick Fury movie starring Hasselhoff look good. Hopefully it will get even worse so I will have no choice but to drop it from my viewing rotation, because I can't see it getting good enough to be worth watching on its own merits.

I just watched the second episode. So far I've been very underwhelmed. It's like Agent Coulson with the cast of Saved By the Bell. The action sequences are directed like a bad 80s action flick. All the dialogue is rushed and there's no character development. Ugh. I hope it gets better quickly.

Agreed. It's like Marvel's Agents of G.L.E.E. or S.H.I.E.L.D. 90210. They've got a couple of token grown-ups in the cast, but it's mostly good-looking kids to go after the younger CW network demographic. But, it shows at 8pm and is about as edgy as a bowling ball. It's just not working.

Coulson is clearly a clone/android/LMD. Either that or Clark Gregg is the worst actor of all time, as he's playing the role with robotic-like stiffness. I suspect it's intentional, but to have an unglamorous, middle-aged dude purposely acting without charisma in the lead role is just adding unnecessary blandness to the already bland show (Agents of B.L.A.N.D.?) I'm not sure how Ming-Na Wen (5'4" on a good day and nearly 50 years old) got cast in her role; she's just not a credible a$$-kicker to me. Brett Dalton as Ward is about as useful to the show as a chocolate teapot - could they have found a blander side of beefcake for the part? The rest of the cast could have been rejects from any show on the CW network, with the exception that two of them have foreign accents. :facepalm:

This show is proving to be the worst of all worlds - a horrifically sucky show that I feel compelled to watch because it's S.H.I.E.L.D. (was always a big fan of the comics). I mean, AoS is making that Nick Fury movie starring Hasselhoff look good. Hopefully it will get even worse so I will have no choice but to drop it from my viewing rotation, because I can't see it getting good enough to be worth watching on its own merits.

My wife said the same thing about how young the actors are. I am sad to admit it, but yeah - the action scenes look like something out of the A-Team. I think the biggest letdown in the second episode was the wooden acting of Clark Gregg. I really liked him in the movies and even in his mini-movie at the convenience store. Now, on the show, he comes across as uninspired.

I will continue to watch, hoping it gets its legs - but I really don't see the supporting cast being able to bring it back. Every character on the show is painfully stereotypical and they way they hamfistedly dole out the plot "twists" is tired and overdone. It really bums me out. I was hoping for so much more Joss Whedon influence on these characters, and have them not be stereotypical.

It has a chance to survive though. I like how they drop references to the Marvel Universe. That helps a lot. But a 30% drop in viewership in week two? And after this showing, I bet it's even worse in week three. Does not bode well.

Agreed. It's like Marvel's Agents of G.L.E.E. or S.H.I.E.L.D. 90210. They've got a couple of token grown-ups in the cast, but it's mostly good-looking kids to go after the younger CW network demographic. But, it shows at 8pm and is about as edgy as a bowling ball. It's just not working.

Coulson is clearly a clone/android/LMD. Either that or Clark Gregg is the worst actor of all time, as he's playing the role with robotic-like stiffness. I suspect it's intentional, but to have an unglamorous, middle-aged dude purposely acting without charisma in the lead role is just adding unnecessary blandness to the already bland show (Agents of B.L.A.N.D.?) I'm not sure how Ming-Na Wen (5'4" on a good day and nearly 50 years old) got cast in her role; she's just not a credible a$$-kicker to me. Brett Dalton as Ward is about as useful to the show as a chocolate teapot - could they have found a blander side of beefcake for the part? The rest of the cast could have been rejects from any show on the CW network, with the exception that two of them have foreign accents. :facepalm:

I've already deleted it from "series link".

If it was called anything other than S.H.I.E.L.D. would anyone here still be watching this series ?

Like everyone else, I was hoping it would feature some Marvel characters, you know, seeing as it's based on the Marvel universe. Without those, I don't see any point in watching (for all the reasons given).

If it was called anything other than S.H.I.E.L.D. would anyone here still be watching this series ?

The short answer is no. There are already several better spy shows out there (e.g., Homeland, Covert Affairs, The Blacklist, Nikita). There are better superhero shows out there (e.g., Arrow). There is certainly no shortage of shows with good-looking young casts. To the people here saying that AoS is better than other TV out there, I'm not sure what else you're watching - Dance Moms? Honey Boo-Boo? Real Housewives? While there are probably more schlocky TV shows now than at any other point in history, there are probably more quality TV shows than ever as well (think AMC, USA and all the premium cable shows as well), so the "there's nothing better on" argument just doesn't hold water. 2c

My wife said the same thing about how young the actors are. I am sad to admit it, but yeah - the action scenes look like something out of the A-Team. I think the biggest letdown in the second episode was the wooden acting of Clark Gregg. I really liked him in the movies and even in his mini-movie at the convenience store. Now, on the show, he comes across as uninspired.

I will continue to watch, hoping it gets its legs - but I really don't see the supporting cast being able to bring it back. Every character on the show is painfully stereotypical and they way they hamfistedly dole out the plot "twists" is tired and overdone. It really bums me out. I was hoping for so much more Joss Whedon influence on these characters, and have them not be stereotypical.

It has a chance to survive though. I like how they drop references to the Marvel Universe. That helps a lot. But a 30% drop in viewership in week two? And after this showing, I bet it's even worse in week three. Does not bode well.

Maybe Disney miscalculated at how old the majority of the Marvel audience really is?

Middle-aged 40 to 50 something's.

That is why Iron Man works,as he is a middle-aged guy like the majority of the Marvel fans are.

No teen angst.

This was the biggest turn off for me in the last Spider-Man movie.

The X-Men at least have Wolverine, Magneto and Professor X to combat the teen angst angles. (shrug)

Watched #2 and ditto what has been said. Bad, bordering on irritating. :facepalm:

To spin-off a series centered on Coulson probably just wasn't a good idea. It's like doing a series centered on Saul Goodman from Breaking Bad. Or maybe Mike. He was pretty flat.

Some characters are cool in context, in well-timed small doses, as long as you don't expand on them too much.

Oh, and those two constantly-chattering Agents are enough to run me off. Can't understand half of what they're yammering on about, with the running gag "..speak English!". Worthless pair, just suckin' up screen-time. :mad:

18-12, Does Not Suck is winning.

;)

-slym

Looks like the poll doesnt match up to the posts.

24-17 now in favor of Does Not Suck. Still, considering that we're all comic guys here, these are HORRIBLE numbers. If comic guys are roughly only 3 to 2 in favor of this show, that cannot bode well for it. 2c

Havent read this whole thread, but there appears to be an informal pole going? Mark me as TOTALLY SUCKS.

This show would fit perfectly between Guiding Light and As the World Turns.

Throwing in a few references/jokes that only comic fans will know is not enough to save this abomination of a TV show.

The short answer is no. There are already several better spy shows out there (e.g., Homeland, Covert Affairs, The Blacklist, Nikita). There are better superhero shows out there (e.g., Arrow). There is certainly no shortage of shows with good-looking young casts. To the people here saying that AoS is better than other TV out there, I'm not sure what else you're watching - Dance Moms? Honey Boo-Boo? Real Housewives? While there are probably more schlocky TV shows now than at any other point in history, there are probably more quality TV shows than ever as well (think AMC, USA and all the premium cable shows as well), so the "there's nothing better on" argument just doesn't hold water. 2c

Not really sure anyone said "there's nothing better on" .. good grief, if that were the case I would cancel DirecTV instantly. I'm saying two things 1) its a scripted show from a network instead of a craptastic "reality" show which they drool to throw on us, and 2) its a semi-campy, family watchable show with the possibility of Marvel characters showing up.

I already watch AHS, Arrow, Homeland, The Bridge, Orphan Black, Bates Motel, The Wire and those types of shows, so that's what this particular person is watching. This one allows me to take a step back and just watch without dealing with mega serious issues or themes. What's wrong with that? This fits in on my DVR without a problem.

Sure, it's no The Avengers or a serious spy show but it is also not the coming of the anti-Christ absolute piece of horrendous trash that it's being made out to be here. And ya, I would put AoS up against any "reality" show any network tries to force feed its viewers.

Finally got around to watching the first 2 episodes. It's pretty lack luster. It's a shame, I can imagine how a SHIELD show could have been really cool without the need to make it a mini Avengers movie every episode.

The creators really should have locked themselves in a room and watched every episode of Xfiles and immersed themselves in in Marvel lore prior to starting on any production of the show.

The creators really should have locked themselves in a room and watched every episode of Xfiles and immersed themselves in in Marvel lore prior to starting on any production of the show.

I was thinking that last night. The X-Files Monster-Of-The-Week format worked very well (also worked for the first few seasons of Supernatural, too). Would have been great to see that concept come back intermixed with Marvel lore.

Right now my biggest complaint with the show is the two british scientists. As has been said before I cannot understand half of what they are saying. Very annoying.

Even more annoying to me is nothing they say actually matters anyways.

None of the characters actually have grabbed me thus far.

Right now my biggest complaint with the show is the two british scientists. As has been said before I cannot understand half of what they are saying. Very annoying.

Yeah, even the likable Coulson is getting lost in this dribble. Hopefully, they will let the real Whedon start writing this series. His brother is obviously not up to the task.

Yeah, even the likable Coulson is getting lost in this dribble. Hopefully, they will let the real Whedon start writing this series. His brother is obviously not up to the task.

Actually, the show should go on hiatus considering that the government has shut down.

;)

-slym

24-17 now in favor of Does Not Suck. Still, considering that we're all comic guys here, these are HORRIBLE numbers. If comic guys are roughly only 3 to 2 in favor of this show, that cannot bode well for it. 2c

Perhaps there should have been a "meh" option.

;)

-slym

Perhaps there should have been a "meh" option.

Agreed.

A "It could be better" option