• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your best purchase of the summer.....

160 posts in this topic

With the Summer convention season come and gone, I would invite all those who made at least one purchase that they were very happy with to post it here. Doesn't matter whether it was a $10 bargain binner or a rare $10,000 high grade stunner...post away and let us all share in your happiness! If you wish to share your purchase price and/or the seller you got it from, feel free to do so. Any interesting stories regarding said purchase are also fair game.

I'm still deliberating as to which book was my best purchase, but I'll be sure to post later on tonight.

A few things:

Picked up this cover on the cheap a month ago. Not a book I've ever read, but still a "Doom Cover". Looks much better in B&W:

26387251308.21.GIF

Got two "Boston Caps" from the Blazing One (sorry, still no scanner. blush.gif) that I was very happy with.

But the 'best' (re: most enjoyable purchase) has been Identity Crisis #1-4. At cover price, easily the "bargain of 2004". cloud9.gif

I made a lot of purchases the past few months. insane.gif

My best purchase from a collecting point of view was buying the Strange Tales Mass run from PedigreeComics. The price was fair and since I had just purchased a Strange Tales #135 in CGC 9.4 from ComicLink, I was able to complete the entire Nick Fury run in Strange Tales (#135-168) all CGC'd with only two below 9.0. All in a total of a two week time period (wish all my collecting goals were that easy).

Second best purchase was an Avengers #11 in CGC 9.4 on eBay for $1,000. I had a cash trade deal worked out before the book arrived to my door. I got most of my money back and got a Captain America #117 CGC 9.4 (first Falcon) that I really wanted for my collection.

Just the tip of the iceberg.

This season I got one of my grail books (4 down, 5 to go)----a VG+ copy of Great Comics #3 from Metropolis. It's got the famous "Hitler in hell" cover, and the book is unrestored and presents great. (For some reason my computer won't allow me to include attachmens, otherwise I'd include a scan....still working on figuring this out).

I still would be willing to upgrade someday to a fine or FVF, but its doubtful that a) such a book will surface anytime soon and b) that I could afford it even if it did become available. So, I'm pretty thrilled just to have the book in a condition above GD- ,which seems to be the most common grade for this book.

I showed the book to a few non-comic friends and family members and once they saw the cover their eyes bugged out of their heads! grin.gif

i would have to say the ASM #13 cgc 8.5 I picked up. I was looking for a nice copy of that and finally found one and it helps in my run..a few more to go for #13 through #38 in cgc 8.0 or better... yay.gif

also some really nice original artwork including the jim balent splash that is in the original art thread. grin.gif

This is my coolest purchase. I got it at the Chicago Comicon and sold it on ebay. It turned out that the winning bidder was the Charles Schulz Museum and they were purchasing it for inclusion in a Spring exhibition on early Peanuts comic books. I ended up donating it to the Museum. I'm very pleased that one of my books will be on display at the museum of my favorite comic strip artist laugh.gif573244-tiptop186.jpg

The best purchases I made this summer was the 2" suspension lift, 1" body lift, swaybar quick disconnects and PSC rocker guards for my Jeep. My wife and daughter love to go on runs with me and we went out about a dozen times this summer with the Jeep club. Sun, sand and tons of outdoor fun!

I bought a few comics also, but nothing impressive.

The best purchases I made this summer was the 2" suspension lift, 1" body lift, swaybar quick disconnects and PSC rocker guards for my Jeep. My wife and daughter love to go on runs with me and we went out about a dozen times this summer with the Jeep club. Sun, sand and tons of outdoor fun!

I bought a few comics also, but nothing impressive.

What kind of Jeep do you have, I'm awaiting some stuff from Quadratec right now smile.gif

98 TJ Sahara. This is pre lift.

clean.jpg

What do you drive?

I have a '97 TJ Sport - er' Wrangler 4.0 in US I guess. When I get home I will dig out a pic of it in the mud of the Canadian Shield Region. cloud9.gif Just bought some new BF T/A KO's,

Nice looking Jeep ya got there - so did bigger tires come with the lift thumbsup2.gif

Nice looking Jeep ya got there

Thanks!

- so did bigger tires come with the lift

No, the ones in the pic are BFG T/A KO 31x10.5's, but I'll be going to 33x11.5's next summer. grin.gif

My best purchase this year had to be ASM #1 in 5.0 for $2900,and #2 in 6.0 for $1050.I got them both off Comic Link and I'll tell ya,it sure feels nice to pull those bad boys out every once in a while, and stare at em like a big insufficiently_thoughtful_person.. cloud9.gif.now if I can just get enough back on my taxes next year to grab a mid grade AF #15.... thumbsup2.gif......if not,I may have to empty my 401k.... insane.gif