• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade Section?

11 posts in this topic

We have a very useful Grade My Book section that is very useful in terms of getting some good grading advice and grades from board members. Has there ever been a thought to have a Guess My Grade section where people post books pre-submission and then post the grade received from CGC when it gets back. I know we do this in the grading contest but I'd think a forum would let new people see what a book looks like raw and then see the expert grade. The only downside would be the massive amount of people bashing CGC for a perceived lack of uniformity but I think it would be a useful section to have. Or are the occasional guess my grade thrown in the Grade My Book section enough info for everyone? Just a thought.

The downside to the ol' guess my grade on submissions is that there are other things to consider on the inside of the book that we are unable to see on scans.

I think new people learning to grade should understand there is a lot more to grading a comic than looking at a scan. I think the PGM section is useful, but I really shudder when I see sellers listing books graded only using what other people quoted on their books in the PGM section.

Unless you're CVA and think that grading a book by only looking at the covers is a legitimate way to determine value - we should try and reinforce learning how to grade an entire book to new members, rather than provide them a shortcut to grading books inaccurately.

I was thinking about it from a guide to how CGC grades certain looking books. A scan will never beat put a book in hand but it is more usefully to have some data compared to none. We have a section where people show off the books they got back from CGC so it's not a huge stretch to have a presubmittion scan so we can see more of the inner workings of the CGC grading trends. I think the mega submitters already have this info due to the volume of submissions but us CGC rookies could gain from a little more exposure to what grade looks like. No big deal if it goes nowhere.

Maybe the thread should be set up by name rather than book similar to the kudos thread? That way it's more compact since certain members will have 100s of submitions that will be under a single post.

Maybe the thread should be set up by name rather than book similar to the kudos thread? That way it's more compact since certain members will have 100s of submitions that will be under a single post.

I think this is a good idea. It makes it fun to look back at what submissions certain members have too

Oddly enough people post after pictures in the PGM section when and if they sub their books. hm

A couple do but finding those few is difficult to say the least. This way all the pre and post pictures will be in one place for people to find it. I have no idea how to go about getting it set up but I think it would be a popular section of the boards.