• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic link/Comic Connect wins, share 'em if you got 'em

54 posts in this topic

Three 9.6 ASMs for under $100, sign me up! These will all eventually be cracked for signatures anyway.

RADD38832013910_172746.jpg

RAD89B732013910_172940.jpg

RADFCFA02013910_173517.jpg

I'm more excited about this last piece than I thought I would be, especially since I didn't think my lowball bid of $35 had any chance of holding up. I got it for a whole $22, which I'm quite sure wouldn't pay for the slabbing fees. Someone got hosed on their investment in a tattered Flash #1. Maybe the trimming of the edges killed it? Who cares, still worth it, even if just for the first published image of Hawkman.

RAD91A552013821_95124.jpg

RAD59AF62013821_95244.jpg

I'm more excited about this last piece than I thought I would be, especially since I didn't think my lowball bid of $35 had any chance of holding up. I got it for a whole $22, which I'm quite sure wouldn't pay for the slabbing fees. Someone got hosed on their investment in a tattered Flash #1. Maybe the trimming of the edges killed it? Who cares, still worth it, even if just for the first published image of Hawkman.

AWESOME pick-up Art! :headbang:

I didnt even see that, cool little piece of ephemera if you are a Hawkman collector, but I dont think single pages have much value unless they are from the uber key golden age books, and even then they need to be nice looking pages content-wise. Action 1, 'tec 27, Superman 1 and Batman 1 are about the only books that I think single pages could sell from at a decent price.

Do you know that the page came from someone breaking up a Flash 1? I would have thought someone doing that would have just broken up the book and not trimmed the pages down so severely as to get the purple label (since purple always depresses buying/bidding). I almost think the page was discovered in this state, maybe being cut out by the OO kid.

I didnt even see that, cool little piece of ephemera if you are a Hawkman collector, but I dont think single pages have much value unless they are from the uber key golden age books, and even then they need to be nice looking pages content-wise. Action 1, 'tec 27, Superman 1 and Batman 1 are about the only books that I think single pages could sell from at a decent price.

Do you know that the page came from someone breaking up a Flash 1? I would have thought someone doing that would have just broken up the book and not trimmed the pages down so severely as to get the purple label (since purple always depresses buying/bidding). I almost think the page was discovered in this state, maybe being cut out by the OO kid.

I'm guessing it was trimmed way before slabbing too, as I doubt that anyone breaking up a coverless or incomplete book would have done this. But there wasn't much description in the auction, so I can't say for sure.

And I'd consider Flash Comics #1 an uber key, but I'd agree that it isn't in the same league as the others you mention by a long shot. There were a few AF #15 pages that have surfaced slabbed, and those did a couple hundred bucks apiece from what I recall (all Spidey pages, of course).

@ Mysterio

Very cool books and that age rocks. I wish they had slabbed it with the Hawkman page forward instead of on the back. I would reslab for just that reason lol

Will be a great display piece ^^

:idea: I had the same thought actually, as the first Hawkman page is nicer visually than the last page of the other story. I don't know if you can get CGC to slab a piece "backwards" or not, but I will ask them when I see them in Austin.

AWESOME pick-up Art! :headbang:

awesome!.. I love it.. for $22 you can beat that!.. and it is the 1st image of hawkman.. :applause:

I got shut out on the latest Comic Connect auction as prices got too high for my blood. Since this thread didn't exist during the last couple auctions I will post some of my recent wins below:

iro4.352a.jpg

adv27.211a.jpg

aqu1.958a.jpg

cha4.834a.jpg

jus1.4470a.jpg

con1.2845a.jpg

def2.1653a.jpg

all5.331a.jpg

spe8.255a.jpg

fan1.13086a.jpg

inc1.5033a.jpg

wei16.270a.jpg

I can give more background on the Flash Comics #1 pages...since they came from me.

I bought them as shown (separated and trimmed) a couple years ago. I had just gotten into GA Flash Comics when I snared them, and thought that'd be the closest to a #1 that I'd ever get. I CGC'd them, just to validate them as original. Nothing more. Waste of money? Sure, but I didn't see myself parting with them. It was just a play to my own neroses.

Since then, I've secured a copy of Flash Comics #1. I took the individual pages to a show to try to trade them. I didn't see much that I wanted, so I dropped them off with 'Link. I hadn't dealt with them yet, so it was a "soft entry," if you will.

I don't think ComicLink presented them very well - on a couple of fronts. Poor descriptions. Didn't show the best image for the one. Listed as .5 rather than NR, etc.

Needless to say, yeah, you got a good deal. I lost money on the pair, not big money, obviously, but I hate losing. Oh well. It sounds like they found a good home. That provides some solace.

The page I bought indeed found a good home, and I appreciate the background! As I mentioned, I was quite surprised to see them go as cheap as they did. I'm pleased to have gotten one, but they should have gone higher, IMHO.