• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"...Nor hell a fury like a customs dodger scorned..."

83 posts in this topic

I have skirted customs with watch imports from China but totally understand why a seller on eBay would want to send his item insured. If there would be a way for the buyer to release the seller from liability in a way that eBay and Paypal and credit card companies would uphold, knock yourself out. Otherwise, it only makes sense for the seller to protect himself.

no worries. your just a perfect example of an individual_without_enough_empathy American

-TRUTH

:shy:

I do this now and again with boardies i trust to pack my mess properly.

But i would never grossly under insure a book. like a marking a $500 as $10, because you just know that when you do that, that's the day the delivery truck catches fire or some mess

As a Canadian who buys a lot of comics I have no issue paying the customs charge and I expect I will have to. I also request the books be insured in case something happens. Lastly I require tracking to prevent customs border theft ( which I know has happened ).

All that said, since this potential buyer was just such a nice guy, I highly recommend shipping to him using UPS.

I personally never want to see a UPS package again, but go ahead and send him his books declared at full value via UPS as they charge an astronomical customs clearing fee.

A seller has the right to Pack, Seal, and Deliver his merchandise any way he likes. It is only then after can a buyer decided to continue to keep doing business. Regarding the customs value, I simply ask my international seller if they would care to mail me cash, then I will pack the book, ship the book how they like and to anywhere and to whomever they choose and put any value on the label they like.

A seller has the right to Pack, Seal, and Deliver his merchandise any way he likes. It is only then after can a buyer decided to continue to keep doing business. Regarding the customs value, I simply ask my international seller if they would care to mail me cash, then I will pack the book, ship the book how they like and to anywhere and to whomever they choose and put any value on the label they like.

that's a good response.

i sold a guy three lots over the course of a week. i sent the first one out with signature confirmation and he person_without_enough_empathyed and groaned it wasn't in the listing and it's a huge PITA for him because he's always working when the P.O. is open and not around for deliveries blah blah.

So I sent the next ones without, forgetting about ebay's seller protection rules on items over $250.

You, of course, know what happens next -- he claims non-delivery even though delivery confirmation shows there was delivery 2 days later. He never pulls back the non-delivery claim.

Admittedly, it was only partial thievery as he decided to pay me what he thought the stuff was worth...of course, three digits lower than what he paid.

Dear comic-sutra,

hi. i live in canada. are you willing to put a lower value on the customs forms so I do not get gouged the custom fees. I am interested in purchasing a couple of books from you but it will not be worth it if I have to pay customs fees let me know

No. All items sent internationally must be insured, and to do that, the full value must be declared.

no worries. your just a perfect example of an individual_without_enough_empathy American

lol

:whee:

Fricken' Greggy. :facepalm:

Really a simple solution, don't buy comics on Ebay #1 and as a Canadian that has paid outrageous sum's for UPS and customs, ( ex. 35.00 UPS charge on a 50.00 comic) just be loyal to certain dealer's and fellow boardys that ship to Canada. If people don't feel comfortable with the value fee shipping to Canada, that is there prerogative.

That guy is dead wrong.

Having met you in person, I know that you are at best a 9.4 example of an individual_without_enough_empathy American.

(thumbs u

:o

:o :o :o

hm

:acclaim:

:hi:

that's a good response.

i sold a guy three lots over the course of a week. i sent the first one out with signature confirmation and he person_without_enough_empathyed and groaned it wasn't in the listing and it's a huge PITA for him because he's always working when the P.O. is open and not around for deliveries blah blah.

So I sent the next ones without, forgetting about ebay's seller protection rules on items over $250.

You, of course, know what happens next -- he claims non-delivery even though delivery confirmation shows there was delivery 2 days later. He never pulls back the non-delivery claim.

Admittedly, it was only partial thievery as he decided to pay me what he thought the stuff was worth...of course, three digits lower than what he paid.

People are funny in this world doesn't matter how nice you are, the world still owes them something. Unfortunately, through eBay only, I ship within the 50 USA states. I'm small time, it's not my primary business, so I try to not take a loss. And I too use signature confirmation, gives me piece of mind.

That guy is dead wrong.

Having met you in person, I know that you are at best a 9.4 example of an individual_without_enough_empathy American.

(thumbs u

:o

:o :o :o

hm

:acclaim:

Kidding, of course. :kidaround:

My biggest issue with customs declarations and why I sometimes avoid importing certain things from the US is not the customs charges but the hamfisted customs people. I've had them ruin expensive property when declared correctly. And GOOD LUCK getting that money back. Insurance won't protect you and customs will laugh in your face and tell you they have a legal right to search the property. Meanwhile you've been bent over and your money thrown in the toilet.

It leaves me wanting to just abstain from bringing in expensive shipments. So I think there can sometimes be more to it than just 'customs dodging'.

And while I have no dog in this race (and the Cdn that spoke to you, RMA, was a total ding dong a-hole..) I'd kindly suggest that some of the people on this thread would be singing a different tune if they lived elsewhere :foryou:

I would like to apologize to anyone who has read any of my posts in the last weeks written on my phone. They are embarassingly poorly written and half the time they almost convey the opposite of my intent. Me and my frigging fat fingers.

Doesn't have to be cash.

They can go to a Canadian Post Office and purchase a money order in US funds and mail it to you.

It'll clear your bank in 3-5 days.

Then you can ship it 1st class and mark it $25 gift with no danger to the seller.

Are you sure? Last time I tried to deposit a foreign money order -- even one in U.S. funds -- my bank told me it was a $25 fee.

Wow. Get a new bank.

I must say I've never been charged a fee if it was a money order in US funds.

Never tried a check tough.

I have always been under the impression that I should be marking all outgoing parcels as "gifts" since they are either gifts for others or gifts for oneself.