• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The great Iron Man quagmire...

Can Iron Man survive without Downey Jr?  

423 members have voted

1. 1. Can Iron Man survive without Downey Jr?

53 posts in this topic

Ok, we know it's coming at some point.

We've had at least a dozen different Batmen, a handful of Supermen and we're three for three with Hulks.

At some point RDJ will be replaced and someone new will take over as Tony Stark.

Is the suit strong enough to endure someone else driving it or is the entire franchise tied to a single actor?

We've had at least a dozen different Batmen, a handful of Supermen and we're three for three with Hulks.

At some point RDJ will be replaced and someone new will take over as Tony Stark.

Is the suit strong enough to endure someone else driving it or is the entire franchise tied to a single actor?

I voted yes it will survive... but the key query is to what level of success?

For me, Downey Jr was born to play Stark. It's almost like Senior threw his leg over with this one end-goal in mind.

But, you're right. They'll have to replace him at some point. Someone else will get the gig and probably do a passable or great job... but I think, much like James Bond and Batman, people will have a favourite that sticks with them regardless of whatever iteration comes next. They'll watch them. They'll enjoy them. And then they'll person_without_enough_empathy that Actor X was no RDJ.

(At least, that's my plan)

I voted yes and I think it would play better if they let someone other then another actor portraying Stark wear the armor. Maybe even Don Cheadle.

I voted yes.

The level of success will remain the same relative to the overall success of the Marvel/super hero movies at that time.

I will miss RDJ though as Stark. He is that role but Marvel can market around that and maybe even turn what would be a net negative into a positive.

100 PERCENT a yes!

I thought nobody could replace Jack Nicholson as the Joker, but Heath Ledger did.

I thought nobody could replace Christopher Reeve as Superman, but Henry Cavill has.

I thought nobody could replace Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man, but Andrew Garfield has.

They will probably go with a young Tony Stark or something to get around RDJ eventually leaving.

Yeah its a ridiculous notion to think that "no one else" could play him, obviously some one else will put the suit on eventually. HOWEVER, i think it would be wise to give it a LOT of time first, because people will obsess about comparing the new actor to RDJ and that would stink for the new actor, especially if he's good. I mean, people will always compare, but it would be cool if some time elapses between the depictions.

You can't truly replace RDJ because he has similar demons to Tony Stark and has overcome them. He oozes tony stark.

I've not liked any of the Bonds since Roger Moore, who was no Sean Connery.

William Shatner is Captain Kirk, period.

Of course someone else can play Tony Stark, but I seriously doubt someone could play him 'as well' as RDJ. He does yuck it up more than Tony Stark ever would, but he's still the whole package.

If I vote 'yes' is that 'yes' for the first half of the question or 'yes' for the second half of the question?

Iron Man can continue. I'd like to see a different take on the character. It was kind of weird in "Marvel's The Avengers" watching Stark make all the jokes and Barton being sullen. Their characters seemed backwards.

You can't truly replace RDJ because he has similar demons to Tony Stark and has overcome them. He oozes tony stark.

Of course someone else can play Tony Stark, but I seriously doubt someone could play him 'as well' as RDJ. He does yuck it up more than Tony Stark ever would, but he's still the whole package.

Nah, they just made Tony Stark the same a RDJ.

They couldn't replace James Bond, Batman or James T. Kirk, no way they can replace Iron Man.

Daniel Craig has stepped in and played 007 extremely well.

Minus the horrible raspy voice, Bale's Batman was good.

You are correct in stating that there will NEVER be another true, James T Kirk.

Iron Man can be replaced, but it will be extremely difficult to replace Tony Stark. As others have said on this thread, RDJ is Tony Stark. Any time I see an Iron Man comic or animated show, all I see is RDJ playing Stark.

I think Daniel Craig is the best Bond ever and pushes Connery down to the #2 spot. That said, Skyfall is the best Bond movie ever made.

While I do think Shatner is Kirk, Chris Pine has taken the reins well and is making the roll his own, so I have this Captain Kirk parallel universe thing going on. The same with Spock. :eek:

I think RDJ can be replaced, but he has done the roll so well it's going to be like getting a 2 year old to take a spoonful of Robitussin.

I think Daniel Craig is the best Bond ever and pushes Connery down to the #2 spot. That said, Skyfall is the best Bond movie ever made.

While I do think Shatner is Kirk, Chris Pine has taken the reins well and is making the roll his own, so I have this Captain Kirk parallel universe thing going on. The same with Spock. :eek:

I think RDJ can be replaced, but he has done the roll so well it's going to be like getting a 2 year old to take a spoonful of Robitussin.

Sometimes your posts almost make me cry :(