• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What keeps you from your grail?

85 posts in this topic

:o PRAYER! :ohnoez:

Mods notified.

:jokealert:

lol If I got a strike for quoting the Monty Python holy hand grenade skit, I don't even think I'd be upset.... it would be funny actually.

What grail will you have paid off soon?

I just started time payments on my grail :whee:

Can you have 2 grails?

I just acquired a second copy (more like seventh, but only my second HG) of what I've always considered my grail, but AF15 has always been nearly as high on my want list. I still don't have it and it's entirely a money issue (obviously).

The Maxx #1 Ashcan Black

Availability: Print run of 50 and I only know 3-4 people with one; some of the 50 were likely not sold originally and no longer exist

Other boardies have been looking for a decade or more and don't have one yet, so this hunt will be long.

Is this really a question? As long as there is one single issue available anywhere in the world, money is the only limiting factor. Like the Million Dollar Man said, everyone has a price. Think of your most treasured comic, you start adding enough Zero's to the number and your giving it up, guaranteed.

Sometimes money makes unavailable books available. Every comic book is for sale to Bill Gates if he wants it bad enough!

+1

I'm pretty sure Bill Gates could get the Mile High Action #1 from the Dentist if he really wanted it bad enough. :insane:

I disagree. I think Dave treasures the book more than any amount of money; I don't believe it's for sale at any price. He already has one of the nicest collections in the world. What need does he have for more money?

As to what keeps me from my grails (because I don't really have just one): probably hoarders. I know it was common for guys to hoard multiple copies of books back in the day, usually with an eye toward manipulating the market, and I think it may still be going on with books perceived as scarce.

Sometimes money makes unavailable books available. Every comic book is for sale to Bill Gates if he wants it bad enough!

+1

I'm pretty sure Bill Gates could get the Mile High Action #1 from the Dentist if he really wanted it bad enough. :insane:

I disagree. I think Dave treasures the book more than any amount of money; I don't believe it's for sale at any price. He already has one of the nicest collections in the world. What need does he have for more money?

As to what keeps me from my grails (because I don't really have just one): probably hoarders. I know it was common for guys to hoard multiple copies of books back in the day, usually with an eye toward manipulating the market, and I think it may still be going on with books perceived as scarce.

Seriously? A super crazy 500x FMV offer couldn't pull the Action 1 or Tec 27 from his hands? I find that hard to believe, but you would know better than I.

+1

Seriously? A super crazy 500x FMV offer couldn't pull the Action 1 or Tec 27 from his hands? I find that hard to believe, but you would know better than I.

$100 million, which would probably be Bill's petty cash, would probably do it. lol

My last true Grail is Superman 1. I can snag a nice, solid G any time I want to pony up $25K.

Won't happen. Ever. I'm DAMNED if I'll pay twenty five grand for a beat up funnybook.

I am sure its happened to you before but I bought a sweet book from Hertitage afew years ago... all was good ..

But the UPS guy came when I was at work ... discussion as follows:

UPS: I have a package for you

Wife : That's great

UPS: Canadian tax and customs and UPS fee is : $185

Wife : (does backwards math in head at 5% canadian tax)

UPS : Is there something wrong ?

Wife........ He can pick it up himself .....

(Note.. sounds of baby crying in background )

It was a hard day of explaining when I came home...

OK answer...Wife ......and money