• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLOSED!: ASM 129 (Mark Jewelers Insert) Punisher (PRIZE TO WINNER)

32 posts in this topic

I notice a lot of these Mark Jewelers comics have that star stamp somewhere on them. Anyone know what's up with that, or if CGC actually deducts for those, or if they just treat them as the equivalent to a date stamp?

-J.

Ink stamps of this type were commonly used to identify books sold at the Stars & Stripes newsstand on military bases. I think it had to do with the way the newsstand was inside the PX area, but a seperate entity so they stamped them to prove they'd been paid for.

It may or may not affect the grade. One guy says he has a 9.4 with the stamp, and one guy says he got the grader's notes and it said his book was marked down because of the stamp. I consider them to be similar to arrival stamps or pedigree markings, since they're something that is "supposed" to be there, not vandalism, but I can see it either way. Regardless, I think they are a cool feature that gives that book a little more individuality and backstory.

I'll be able to add to the anecdotes shortly, as I have a Power Man & Iron Fist 57 with Mark Jewelers and a star stamp in "Graded" status as of now.

I notice a lot of these Mark Jewelers comics have that star stamp somewhere on them. Anyone know what's up with that, or if CGC actually deducts for those, or if they just treat them as the equivalent to a date stamp?

-J.

Ink stamps of this type were commonly used to identify books sold at the Stars & Stripes newsstand on military bases. I think it had to do with the way the newsstand was inside the PX area, but a seperate entity so they stamped them to prove they'd been paid for.

It may or may not affect the grade. One guy says he has a 9.4 with the stamp, and one guy says he got the grader's notes and it said his book was marked down because of the stamp. I consider them to be similar to arrival stamps or pedigree markings, since they're something that is "supposed" to be there, not vandalism, but I can see it either way. Regardless, I think they are a cool feature that gives that book a little more individuality and backstory.

I'll be able to add to the anecdotes shortly, as I have a Power Man & Iron Fist 57 with Mark Jewelers and a star stamp in "Graded" status as of now.

Thanks for the reply Garlanda, you pretty much back up my line of thinking. My Iron Man 55 is a Mark Jewelers with the star stamp right on the "55", and it is mentioned in the notes. Not sure if they deducted for it though. They probably did because of its conspicuous placement, because the book looks better than an 8.5 to me otherwise. BTW I have seen a 9.4 Hulk 181 with the star stamp, so books can still get NM with it, maybe even higher as I have seen a couple New Mutants 98's in a 9.8 with the insert as well.

-J.

But that scan can't be the book that was submitted, and it's impossible to grade a pressed book without a post-pressed scan.

I understand the methodology of not being able to guess an accurate grade if the scans shown are "pre-press". The book was sent from CCS directly to CGC for grading. This is what makes the contest more challenging and the quality assessment of pressing services more transparent.