• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Stigma with restored books

139 posts in this topic

That's cool Cat -- on a historical basis, the comics of the early 50's speak to me, for similar reasons. Particularly PCH and the furor surrounding them, and the scarce DC's of that era, the early 50s Supes and Bats and other heroes that were surrounded by an ever-increasing sea of horror. :)

I've always liked coins and comics about equally, so that's just my particular bent. :)

...... here's a quarter, call someone who cares :baiting: (...like me :cloud9: ) .....GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

101_1878.jpg

I would not recommend buying GA 11 but if you did , I would recommend it be unrestored to keep the best chance of not losing every penny you put in it.

What if someone just buys the book just because they like it(unrestored or not)? It is possible to buy comic books because you like them, and not because you're interested in them as investments. Right, Mitch?

I recommend that Mitch continue to buy only what he feels is a good investment. Its the best chance that he has at missing the whole point of this hobby and the enjoyment that comes with it. That's almost as silly as being too scared to share your collection on a comic chat board. Mitch what would you do if you found a nice vintage collection like the Billy Wright find? I guess you would have to keep it a secret, not even share what books on these boards? Now that is fun, true collecting. meh

If you read my posts carefully I suggest that if you spend a few hundred dollars buy anything you want. I am not suggesting just buying investments, I have no idea where that came from when I suggested buying reprints etc.

When you buy a comic book in a plastic tomb.....AND spend over $500 you are making an investment whether you care to admit it or not...so get off you high collecting horse and get real.

If you cant read it, touch it, smell it, open it ....you are then just holding on to the comic book in a plastic holder....spending over $500 for that means you are an investor.

Ok I am bit late to this but here goes.

I have no problem with restored books, I think the biggest issue people face is a lack of knowledge. I was a t show recently and a guy looked at my cap 16 with a married centerfold, he handed it back saying he wasn't interested because it was restored. There was no point in trying to explain the difference as he just didn't want to hear it (I tried).

Also you have the general info on a label. You can have the same details on a book that gets a slight or moderate label and that is an issue to inexperienced buyers. I think more details on the label would help with this. Instead of just spine split sealed how about 3 inch spine split sealed. With more details you would know more about what was done and have more confidence in the grade.

Here is a great example. The book looks amazing and certainly better then a 4.0, but it has a lot of work, full spine sealed, piece out on the back which was recreated and just general touch ups but it's 98% real and if cracked you could handle and read it without any problems.

comicsdetective29cgc.jpg

I am always at odds about buying low grade blue or higher grade purple for the same type of money. For my main focus Detectives 27-40 it isn't going to matter too much as they will rise in value regardless. I certainly would never be able to buy a un-restored Detective 27 and am very happy with my cover which has already risen in value by 50% over the last few years.

I think with more info people can determine a price easier. There is a huge difference with a book that has only the cover cleaner and the extensive book above. I struggle with the breakdown on pricing but I think most just go with and educated guess and see what the market will bear. This is much easier on high end books as well

I think good mainstream keys books are a sound investment, it's things like suspense 3, pre hero gold and dead characters which would be higher risk. Characters like Batman, Superman and Spider Man will always be around so there will always be a demand for the keys.

There may be some books that are over inflated Hulk 181, Movie Hype books, New Mutants 98, but you don't see that a lot in the GA or even the SA market much.

I got killed on my house which I bought in 06, if I took the money I wasted on the house and bought a tec 27 I would be in a much better place, but alas that is how it goes.

James G

Thanks for posting. (thumbs u

I've got to ask, though. Why would a book that looks so nice only get a 4.0? Does this have anything to do with the book having extensive restoration? Are they really trying to grade it as if there was no restoration? Unless its missing half of the back cover, I can't quite figure it out. ???

That's cool Cat -- on a historical basis, the comics of the early 50's speak to me, for similar reasons. Particularly PCH and the furor surrounding them, and the scarce DC's of that era, the early 50s Supes and Bats and other heroes that were surrounded by an ever-increasing sea of horror. :)

I've always liked coins and comics about equally, so that's just my particular bent. :)

...... here's a quarter, call someone who cares :baiting: (...like me :cloud9: ) .....GOD BLESS....

101_1878.jpg

Very nice, jimbo! ;) High grade Standing Libs are always great coins. :)

101_1878.jpg

You do know there is another board for this sort of thing. :baiting:

101_1878.jpg

You do know there is another board for this sort of thing. :baiting:

[font:Times New Roman]True, quarter-horses shouldn't line up on the same track with thoroughbred comics unless it's a short race with long odds.[/font] :grin:

:jokealert:

I have no problem with restored books, I think the biggest issue people face is a lack of knowledge. I was a t show recently and a guy looked at my cap 16 with a married centerfold, he handed it back saying he wasn't interested because it was restored. There was no point in trying to explain the difference as he just didn't want to hear it (I tried).

Also you have the general info on a label. You can have the same details on a book that gets a slight or moderate label and that is an issue to inexperienced buyers. I think more details on the label would help with this. Instead of just spine split sealed how about 3 inch spine split sealed. With more details you would know more about what was done and have more confidence in the grade.

Here is a great example. The book looks amazing and certainly better then a 4.0, but it has a lot of work, full spine sealed, piece out on the back which was recreated and just general touch ups but it's 98% real and if cracked you could handle and read it without any problems.

comicsdetective29cgc.jpg

I am always at odds about buying low grade blue or higher grade purple for the same type of money. For my main focus Detectives 27-40 it isn't going to matter too much as they will rise in value regardless. I certainly would never be able to buy a un-restored Detective 27 and am very happy with my cover which has already risen in value by 50% over the last few years.

I think with more info people can determine a price easier. There is a huge difference with a book that has only the cover cleaner and the extensive book above. I struggle with the breakdown on pricing but I think most just go with and educated guess and see what the market will bear. This is much easier on high end books as well

I think good mainstream keys books are a sound investment, it's things like suspense 3, pre hero gold and dead characters which would be higher risk. Characters like Batman, Superman and Spider Man will always be around so there will always be a demand for the keys.

There may be some books that are over inflated Hulk 181, Movie Hype books, New Mutants 98, but you don't see that a lot in the GA or even the SA market much.

I got killed on my house which I bought in 06, if I took the money I wasted on the house and bought a tec 27 I would be in a much better place, but alas that is how it goes.

James G

One thing to remember at least you can still live in your house on a daily basis, so you got a roof over your head, while if someone spends big money on the wrong kind of restored comic it could be disastrous. Not all comics grow like Detective Comics #27.

So to clarify even though you took a big money loss with your house it still has value,while picking an overpriced wrong kind of restored book that nobody wants would have been much worse. Your house you can live in,while the wrong restored comic would have been sold at a lost or just sit there.

One thing to remember at least you can still live in your house on a daily basis, so you got a roof over your head

And if the house is old enough, who knows what might be in the walls? :D

One thing to remember at least you can still live in your house on a daily basis, so you got a roof over your head

And if the house is old enough, who knows what might be in the walls? :D

Rats?

I'm pretty much strictly a Marvel SA collector, but I'll weigh in as many aspects of the attitudes toward restored books are common to both genres...albeit considered much more acceptable in general for GA due to the books being older and more scarce...

I made a decision in my three main (favourite) titles to collect HG in 9.0 or better. I don't consider myself a grade-snob though and my raw TOS 1-38 set is an average grade of FN with several of the older ones in the VG+ to VG/FN range...

But I like for my books to look the best they can, and the best that I can afford, especially for my 9.0 and greater sets. And not all 9.0 and greater books are created equal, so I am quite picky and will not just blindly purchase any old 9.0 to fill a hole in my set...

So for me, and especially for the really expensive books (take my ASM 1 9.0 for example) I am more than happy to own a restored book. And for now, and in the forseeable future, I will remain on a fixed comic book buying budget so it is highly unlikely I will ever own the most expensive books I am after in the grades I am after in a blue label. The most I've ever paid for a book is $5K (1 book) and after that $3.5K and less...

I do feel more information would be beneficial to reducing the stigma of restored books, and to this day I'm not even completely sure what some of the processes are. Primarily, staples cleaned and cover cleaned (or book cleaned). I can guess that cleaning staples uses some sort of metal cleaner/solvent to remove dirt and rust...but not sure exactly how many ways a cover or book can be cleaned.

I'm aware of books being disassembled, cleaned in some type of solution, and then reassembled, but I'm assuming when the CGC label says "cover cleaned" that hasn't occurred otherwise I would think they would say so. So what exaclty does cover cleaned mean, and how is it done?

Having said that, I think cleaning in general...staples, cover, pages...may not even really be restoration. Where does normal non-restoration cleaning (wonder-breading, etc.) leave off and restoration cleaning begin. After all, cleaning is just removing dirt (or rust)...something that wasn't there on the book originally. Food for thought...

I mean pressing to me is more restoration than cleaning. I suppose if you get into certain type of wet solution/solvent it may be tipping the scale a bit. And does anyone know if the standard cleaning processes being used affect the color at all...even slightly?

"As far as historic gold coins go specifically, one that comes immediately to mind would be the 1848 CAL quarter eagle."

That's a really neat history for a coin! Thanks for sharing.

I'd rather have a Cap #1 tho.

"As far as historic gold coins go specifically, one that comes immediately to mind would be the 1848 CAL quarter eagle."

That's a really neat history for a coin! Thanks for sharing.

I'd rather have a Cap #1 tho.

WHAT?!?!..a comic collector would rather have a cap #1, your kidding! :olol

comicsdetective29cgc.jpg

James G

Thanks for posting. (thumbs u

I've got to ask, though. Why would a book that looks so nice only get a 4.0? Does this have anything to do with the book having extensive restoration? Are they really trying to grade it as if there was no restoration? Unless its missing half of the back cover, I can't quite figure it out. ???

:bump:

I never did get any replies to this post. Again, I'm only trying to wrap my head around the grading of extensively restored books. Can anyone comment, please? :wishluck:

So I received my first ever "restored" book in the mail. Here's what a Richie Muchin tear seal looks like -- kind of like gauze. My first reaction is "big whoop, there are other defects with the book that bug me more". I still think I'll have it removed eventually, since small tears like this don't really bug me.

tearseal_zps6f7b589a.jpg