• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on subjectivity with respect to grade/value in divorce

36 posts in this topic

I live in CA if that helps. Im not sure about a prenup because I honestly feel that would take the romance out of our wedding. I love my GF and want this to be as romantic and cool as can be.

It's all t*ts and roses when you're walking down the aisle kid. May it always remain that way for you and your sweetie!

As far as a prenup taking the romance out - I guess you'd say a pre-wedding comprehensive STD test to set a benchmark would be...a buzzkill? In my experience, the things we're unwilling to confront for whatever reasons are the things that can come back to bite you in the keister.

I live in CA if that helps. Im not sure about a prenup because I honestly feel that would take the romance out of our wedding. I love my GF and want this to be as romantic and cool as can be.

It's all t*ts and roses when you're walking down the aisle kid. May it always remain that way for you and your sweetie!

As far as a prenup taking the romance out - I guess you'd say a pre-wedding comprehensive STD test to set a benchmark would be...a buzzkill? In my experience, the things we're unwilling to confront for whatever reasons are the things that can come back to bite you in the keister.

I do understand what you mean. I hope nothing messes it up as for right now she's wonderful. Std test is pretty crazy but it's necessary.

I think you've got your head screwed on right. Prenup isn't the right thing, necessarily - thinking about it and making a conscious decision is, imho.

Thanks, I just gotta be cautious is all. Just sad to see so many guys go through this. But hey if I need advice on relationships/marriage I know where to go. Dr.love has me covered lol:cool:

Appreciate everyone's posts and commentary. (thumbs u

I just had a random thought. One could potentially argue that in this kind of situation, due to the value of the comics a third party grading service (CGC) could be a significant help because what if a bunch of those raw mid grade or better keys all turn out to have some degree of resto? Imagine the price swing then.

One boardie faced this problem. His wife's attorney came up with a ridiculously high valuation for 30,000 modern comics. The collector told the attorney that his wife could have the comics, he'd keep the house. The attorney couldn't believe it, thinking the collector was bluffing.

Then the collector told the attorney that he was feeling so generous that his wife could have the comics at a valuation 2/3 of what she thought they were worth. The attorney got the point and they managed to come to agreement even though it had been a contentious divorce proceeding.

My ex didn't want anything to do with my comics when we separated and divorced. She had the opportunity to do anything she wanted with them while I was overseas, but I came home and found them in the boxes in the storage unit. It happens that way sometimes.

Do it just the way Overstreet did:

1) Price everything according to guide.

2) Give her all the Fawcetts and keep all the Timelys.

3) Give her all the Qualitys and keep the DCs.

4) Give her a few extra odds and ends because you are nice and don't want to fight.

I'm an attorney in California. Here are two general principles:

1. California is a community property state. That means that the property you acquire during the marriage is owned by you and your wife. That will include the comics you buy. They are hers. And if you get a divorce, she's entitled to half their value.

2. Property you own prior to the marriage, or which is gifted to you during marriage, is separate property. If you are concerned, inventory your comics prior to marriage (preferrably with photos and evidence of date) to document your separate property. A divorce attorney probably would tell you to get a prenup if the value is significant. I'm not that kind of attorney, so seek out advice if you feel it is a real issue.

Finally, if you are divorcing, don't try to hide your comic assets. That's a great way to lose it all. Dishonesty and theft aren't worth the consequences, civil and criminal. The classic example is a couple where one spouse tried to hide a winning lottery ticket. The other spouse got the full winnings in the divorce.

OK sfcityduck, I have a purely academic question regarding the community property laws.

I get that if I have an asset going into a marriage it is mine. Not part of the community property.

Does any increase in the value of my asset(s) during the period of the marriage become community property?

What I am getting at is (let's make a ridiculous hypothetical) say I buy a minty Action #1 for 10c in June 1938. I get married in July 1938. I get divorced in 2013 (I said it was ridiculous).

The Action #1 is all mine. Had it before the wedding. I keep it until and beyond the divorce.

Does the (now) ex-wife have any claim on the 2013 value of the comic? (shrug)

marriage, what a joke

Not all of them. If you're into a marriage because she wants the ring and he wants a trophy that ain't gonna work.

If you can find a friend who happens to enjoy you for who you are (and visa versa) it's a terrific thing.

I'm not a big fan of institutionalism, and even though I consider myself traditional I don't really ascribe to the modern definition of 'marriage' but I do believe that if you have a relationship with someone and are true to each other it can be a beautiful thing.

My brother had a similar situation only it was a great vinyl album and 45s/picture sleeves collection. After peeling off some of the prime material...they met at the lawyer's office and she picked one and he picked one until they were all picked...takes the valuation out of it and if she doesn't know what she's picking that's her problem...

sell the entire collection to someone he implicitly trusts for a dollar. Give the scag her cut: 0.50

:mad:

Well, the positive is that he gets a part in the decision of the fate of the collection.

Did the ex buy anything that is clearly "hers" during the marriage? Clearly whatever that is now needs to be sold and half the value shared.

marriage, what a joke

Not all of them. If you're into a marriage because she wants the ring and he wants a trophy that ain't gonna work.

If you can find a friend who happens to enjoy you for who you are (and visa versa) it's a terrific thing.

I'm not a big fan of institutionalism, and even though I consider myself traditional I don't really ascribe to the modern definition of 'marriage' but I do believe that if you have a relationship with someone and are true to each other it can be a beautiful thing.

Great post and thIs gives me hope on my marriage to come thanks.

Do it just the way Overstreet did:

1) Price everything according to guide.

2) Give her all the Fawcetts and keep all the Timelys.

3) Give her all the Qualitys and keep the DCs.

4) Give her a few extra odds and ends because you are nice and don't want to fight.

True story? Funny if so.