• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Chew #1 Copy A & B

8 posts in this topic

Thanks, is the scan size to big or to small?

The scans are too small in my opinion to provide a more accurate assessment of the books. I scan at 1200 DPI for maximum size. It tends to over exaggerate the defects but it sure gives you all the details. I find I am sometimes more critical of a book when the scan is very large but when the scan is too small I think it makes you shy away from making a better guess. :shy:

I prefer the larger scans and just have to remember to put the "scratches and dents and dings and dimples and tears and smudges etc. etc. etc." into perspective. I find I often think of a 1/16" tear as being a 1" tear forgetting that I am looking at such a large scan. :pullhair:

Hope this makes sense!

Tim :grin:

For grading purposes I think most boardies would say they are sufficient for grading. Your scans are the size most people use in their selling threads. 1200 dpi does exaggerate the defects - to the point that perspective and context is skewed. Like you said: a 1 mm tear can look like it's a couple centimeters.

Also, time wise. Scanning at 1200 dpi is overkill. Especially if you are scanning FC And BC; then add in the time to straighten/crop and upload. 300 dpi is sufficienct for most boardies I know.

That being said. I think both copied are 9.4 or higher. You have clean BC, and the corners have little no rounding or abrading

Thanks for the advice guys. I've seen scans so big that you have to adjust the scroll bars to view the entire comic. I was trying to avoid that but I guess I need to find a happy medium.

That would be me, sorry! :shy:

I prefer the big scans regardless of how much scrolling I have to do because it does give a true picture of the book. I have been looking at other options where you can give a small scan here (similar to yours) and then leave a link to the large scans. Vaillant does this very well! (thumbs u

What I find perplexing is that we know grading from a scan is not always accurate yet if we get a large enough scan we can get pretty darn close (bearing in mind that you take into account the vastness of the scans :fear:)

Yet if the preference of the boardies is smaller scans then expect the grades to be even less accurate? Is that a fair statement? :insane:

Tim

Thanks for the advice guys. I've seen scans so big that you have to adjust the scroll bars to view the entire comic. I was trying to avoid that but I guess I need to find a happy medium.

That would be me, sorry! :shy:

lol