• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Care to admit your worst "speculator" Blunder ?

154 posts in this topic

I generally don't speculate on new comics, but I do buy the occasional collection. With large collections you have to take the bad with the good, so I end up inheriting speculator blunders from other people.

Thus, I have about 50 copies of Warriors of Plasm #1 sitting somewhere. I was thinking about giving them away for Halloween, but the kids would probably just say 'What the $#%& is this? I want Batman or Spider-Man! Toilet paper on your trees tonight, buddy!'

One guy thought annuals were the 'next big thing' (?), so I have like 4 long boxes of early 90's Marvel and DC annuals. Of course any of the annuals that DID have any level of interest, I don't have...

I think that the interest in Atlas is, well, not completely zero. I'm looking for a few of the war and horror issues... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gee, this thread is like the shopping channel for me. insane.gif

I like the covers of The Destructor...

destructor_1.jpg

and this war cover....

savagecombattales_2.jpg893applaud-thumb.gif

Scans courtesy of The Atlas Archives

banner_04.gif

Great Atlas site! thumbsup2.gif

here's a speculator move that was a blunder because i didn't speculate!!!!!!!

in 1964 i decided that comics were starting to become more collectible than ever before. so i convinced my self to spend 60 cents for 5 copies of daredevil #1.

i was so convinced that i'd followed through that i was confused and disappointed about 14 years later when i bought my first Overstreet and went searching for them. seems the extra 48 cents got spent elsewhere 893whatthe.gif

and considering that the one copy i did buy, read and keep is probably gonna grade out around a 9.0+, those other 4 would've been SWEET....... frustrated.gif

Burnt , your post reminds me of why, if a scientist asked a "Fanboy" where/when he would go if given he chance to go back in time..

I personally am not sure if I could choose.

Lemme see.....prevent the Chicago fires..

Tell Custer..."umm.. how bout you pass on this next charge?"

Pompeei citizens... you might wanna bug out..

Or countless other worthy causes.

Or would I just get greedy.. and say.. gimme 15 minutes in 19/ enter year" and grab as many comics as I could.

Ze-

Hmmm... well not actually comics, but I did buy an entire CASE (24 boxes) of the 1989 Batman movie Topps trading cards (with gum). I believe I bought them for what comes out to $12 a box. I waited about 12 years to then sell them for $5 a box.

Hey, at least I didn't buy 200 copies of Image's Wildcats like my friend did just to get some damn Jim Lee signed alternate. -----------Sid

Hey, at least I didn't buy 200 copies of Image's Wildcats like my friend did just to get some damn Jim Lee signed alternate.

SLAB 'EM!!! There's probably some 9.9s in there.... 27_laughing.gif

Hooboy, those were the days. Signed alternates. Gold logos. Platinum editions. A veritable cornucopia of corny comic craziness. insane.gif

here's a speculator move that was a blunder because i didn't speculate!!!!!!!

in 1964 i decided that comics were starting to become more collectible than ever before. so i convinced my self to spend 60 cents for 5 copies of daredevil #1.

i was so convinced that i'd followed through that i was confused and disappointed about 14 years later when i bought my first Overstreet and went searching for them. seems the extra 48 cents got spent elsewhere 893whatthe.gif

and considering that the one copy i did buy, read and keep is probably gonna grade out around a 9.0+, those other 4 would've been SWEET....... frustrated.gif

In 1964, I bought a DD #1 off the rack at Parker's Newstand. I still have it also, but it is about a 1.0 (at best). Wish I had keep better care of my books. That's my biggest blunder, unless you count the BIN that I just hit on a "raw" book on ebay that was advertised as a NM. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I bought a whole box of pre-Unity Valiant books from a buddy who needed the cash. I still have them all. I did love the stories so it wasn't all bad but I wish I would have sold them when everyone wanted to buy them from me.

I also bought 50 copies of X-Men 2099 #1. I got the gold edition (which sells for not much on eBay nowadays and I figured that the regular editions would make nice giveaways but I couldn't even give them away smile.gif