• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Care to admit your worst "speculator" Blunder ?

154 posts in this topic

Me,I bought into the whole Valient thing.I was just getting back into collecting and mainly buying moderns to actually read. Bought a few of the Valient titles and really enjoyed them so I started to get all the back issues.Ouch. Thank god I could`nt find any of the varient logos or I would have sucked those up also.

I chalk it up to expearience.Least I had some good reads along the way. laugh.gif

A ton of Pacific Comics.........including 5 or 6 copies each of Kirby's Captain Victory, Adams' Ms. Mystic 1&2. These have made nice gifts to nephews and neighbor kids over the last couple of years.

I also had about a dozen copies of Byrne's Silver Surfer one-shot. Still got a number of them.

"Be One with the Hive Mind!" ...... I love Kirby's writing! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Ooh, got any of the Pacific horror comics? I have never tracked down a couple issues I'm missing!

Worst "investment" would be the several hundred X-men#1s

I bought and still have.

I bought 60 cases of Byrnes Superman #1,but had most of them pre-sold. I sold 35 cases(approx 10,000) to my UPS driver.About a year later,he tried to sell them back to me to pay for his divorce lawyer. I always wondered if the two events were somehow related.

Only Image books I went big on were the 1963 books. Alan Moore,superheroes and Image-what was not to like.

Did buy a couple of cases of the first Spawn toys.They are still sitting unopened in my warehouse.

What was the print run on that issue, Byrne's Superman #1????

Guess I'm the old codger of this group. I was a mid-'70s speculator, and bought multiples of many of the Atlas-Seabord books, and also many of the lesser Kirby DC number 1s, like Omac and Sandman. Still have them all, 'cause I'm still waiting for collector interest in them to take off! frustrated.gif Anybody looking for an Ironjaw #1? I didn't think so....

After Marvel Fanfare turned out to be a surprise hit, each issue was highly sought after. Well, I heard a rumor somewhere (it wasnt on the internet, Im sure of that smirk.gif ) that most of the print run was damaged by a flood at the printer or distributors... so when I saw that Clyde Durkee (remember him) has a slew of em at half off in a CBG ad, I scooped up 70 copies!!

I thought I was really onto something because when I spoke to him the next time, he said he wouldnt let me order so many again (he must have heard the rumor by then too). So, was there water damage on half the print run? ummmm, guess not. Last O ever heard of that rumor and I still have every stinking copy.... and that heavy glossy cover stock on every page weighs a ton!!!

ADOLESCENT RADIOACTIVE BLACKBELT HAMSTERS x 100 circa 1986

THUNDERCATS # 1 x 100 around the same time. WHA ???

Fell deeply into the Independent craze of the mid-80's. Purchased multiple issues of such titles as Trollords, The Realm, Ninjak, Miami Mice, The Adventurers, All the books from a company called Aircel, tons and tons of unbelievable , mind numbing [!@#%^&^].

NM marvel and DC Silver Age was very inexpensive and now ...well, now it's not.

At least I did stock up on some NM Silver and Bronze but could've really done well without the distraction of all of those independents.

FIsh Police anyone? the list goes on....pathetic speculatory misdirection.

I was a mid-'70s speculator, and bought multiples of many of the Atlas-Seabord books...Anybody looking for an Ironjaw #1? I didn't think so....

Sorry...I have one. But I was actively looking for these Atlas/Seaboard issues for years before a bought a near complete NM set about 5 years ago... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Oh, I've got a longbox or two of Ultraverse titles (low number!) that I picked up at a used bookstore right around the time of Marvel's acquisition of those properties. Seemed a no-brainer that they would do something with the characters, but not a heck of a lot has happened. Nightman and that's about it. Fortunately I only paid about $40 or $50 for the lot of them.