• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All things Hobgoblin
1 1

91 posts in this topic

"But it was Owsley’s idea to kill off Jean DeWolff, and Al Milgrom and Bob Harras made the Hulk gray.

That’s another story, though…"

Which you can read a bit about in the Death of Jean Dewolfe TPB, another Peter David classic.

That is great...Funny how our stories come together...I bet there could be a whole novel on the (2nd) Clone Saga...

There pretty much was!

Check out this 35-part blog series "The Life of Reilly" about the Clone Saga, with imput by Spider-writer/editor Glenn Greenberg.

http://lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/2008/03/part-1.html

That is great...Funny how our stories come together...I bet there could be a whole novel on the (2nd) Clone Saga...

There pretty much was!

Check out this 35-part blog series "The Life of Reilly" about the Clone Saga, with imput by Spider-writer/editor Glenn Greenberg.

http://lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/2008/03/part-1.html

Thanks for this link. Gonna start reading it now :popcorn:

There was some inter-office political intrigue that went on at the time. I can't remember the details, but James Owsley was the Spider-Man writer, and Shooter was the EIC. Somehow, when Owsley was away, it was decided that the Hobgoblin would be killed, and revealed to be Ned Leeds. This happened in Spider Man vs Wolverine. Owsley felt the rug had been pulled out from under him, and left he book. Peter David had to come in and write a clean-up story in 289.

No, no. Jim Owsley (aka Christopher Priest) is the guy who *wrote* SPIDER-MAN VS. WOLVERINE, specifically with the intention of having Ned Leeds die in it.

Thanks. (thumbs u

My memory was from reading Back Issue. I'll go back and reread. All I remembered was that it was an awkward finish, as PD attests to in his blog.

Anyway, read Hobgoblin Lives for the intended ending.

I love these books and vividly remembering seeing the ASM#238 on the shelf at my LCS when it hit the market. The cover made my jaw drop. Stern was the master story teller back then, just about every series he worked on had the best story arcs at that time. The Will-O-Wisp, Juggernaut and Hyde stories that came before this arc were just brilliant and the art work was perhaps the best ever on this series.

One of my favourite covers :cloud9:

th_AmazingSpider-Man238Australia_zpsa18b5c96.jpgth_AmazingSpider-Man238Brazil_zps5784783d.jpgth_AmazingSpider-Man238Canada_zps0397399e.jpgth_AmazingSpider-Man238France_zpsd1f2a495.jpgth_AmazingSpider-Man238Germany_zps315d48e6.jpgth_396_zps2380a963.jpgth_AmazingSpider-Man238Italy_zps54334898.jpgth_img003_zps641386a3.jpgth_AmazingSpider-Man238Norway_zps4e3743bb.jpgth_AmazingSpider-Man238Poland_zpse3317701.jpgth_AmazingSpider-Man238Spain_zps02fa1a58.jpgth_AmazingSpider-Man238Spain2ndPrint_zpsdef9d061.jpgth_AmazingSpider-Man238Sweden_zpse24b7adb.jpgth_AmazingSpider-Man238UK2_zpscaba77ed.jpgth_AmazingSpider-Man238UK_zps3d459a01.jpg

:applause:

Thanks (thumbs u There are a few more out there I haven't snagged yet. I'm down to start tracking down the other issues as well. Can someone provide a comprehensive list of Hobgoblin appearances? I'll throw together a photo gallery of foreigns that exist.

The Hobgoblin was a decent enough villain but there was nothing that fascinating about him IMHO. It was the excellent storytelling from that period that made the Hobgoblin so good, once that time had passed, there were very few good Hobgoblin stories that I read. 2c

I'd agree that I have little interest in the post Spiderman 289 Hobgoblin storylines, ASM 317 was a pretty good McFarlane though I suppose.

I kind of view this period as an important peak in the history of Spiderman. With the dramatic death of Gwen and GG that pretty much took over the Peter Parker drama throughout the 1970s. The new characters were OK at best Punisher, GG2, Tarantula, Jackal, Black Cat with the punisher only coming into his own in the mid 1980s and the Black Cat later in the 1990s to now. Quite a few of the storylines were classic 1970s trash that are now seen as ironic at best. Spidermobile, Aunt May marrying Doc Ock, Clone saga. All subjective, and you may really like these characters or stories but the general consensus is they don't live up.

There were some really nice short sagas and one shots but as ASM hit the 1980's there was a real need to escape that 1970s silliness. Some of the good ones IMO were 161 162 with Nightcrawler, 187 189 190 were decent, 200-203 pretty good too. Madame Web was weak as was Hyrdoman and that silly King Kong story as Hydro and Sandman got mixed up. Foolkiller issue and the spider cover/story of 228 were good. The Black Cat and Moon Knights stories were OK at best.

The Juggernaut 2 part was an early 1980s masterpiece and the start of the Stern / JR jr team getting good.

Then you had the death of Tarantula which almost felt like an important story but kind of fell off as it went too far to the B movie monster route. Like they just watched Kingdom of Spiders or something. A couple one shots follow that feel like fillers, Stiltman?

Once 238 came out Spiderman the the P Parker drama just seemed to shift to a better place. The energy for Spiderman went up: Hobgoblin, Costume change, Black Cat drama, Silver Sable, More Hobgoblin. Plus the change of Team up to Web of was a huge improvement. Even the one shots 246 and 248 are pretty much classics.

Anyway, that's my argument, 238 was a turning point for Spiderman that got him unstuck from the 1970s and the aftermath of the death of Gwen.

I'd agree that I have little interest in the post Spiderman 289 Hobgoblin storylines, ASM 317 was a pretty good McFarlane though I suppose.

I kind of view this period as an important peak in the history of Spiderman. With the dramatic death of Gwen and GG that pretty much took over the Peter Parker drama throughout the 1970s. The new characters were OK at best Punisher, GG2, Tarantula, Jackal, Black Cat with the punisher only coming into his own in the mid 1980s and the Black Cat later in the 1990s to now. Quite a few of the storylines were classic 1970s trash that are now seen as ironic at best. Spidermobile, Aunt May marrying Doc Ock, Clone saga. All subjective, and you may really like these characters or stories but the general consensus is they don't live up.

There were some really nice short sagas and one shots but as ASM hit the 1980's there was a real need to escape that 1970s silliness. Some of the good ones IMO were 161 162 with Nightcrawler, 187 189 190 were decent, 200-203 pretty good too. Madame Web was weak as was Hyrdoman and that silly King Kong story as Hydro and Sandman got mixed up. Foolkiller issue and the spider cover/story of 228 were good. The Black Cat and Moon Knights stories were OK at best.

The Juggernaut 2 part was an early 1980s masterpiece and the start of the Stern / JR jr team getting good.

Then you had the death of Tarantula which almost felt like an important story but kind of fell off as it went too far to the B movie monster route. Like they just watched Kingdom of Spiders or something. A couple one shots follow that feel like fillers, Stiltman?

Once 238 came out Spiderman the the P Parker drama just seemed to shift to a better place. The energy for Spiderman went up: Hobgoblin, Costume change, Black Cat drama, Silver Sable, More Hobgoblin. Plus the change of Team up to Web of was a huge improvement. Even the one shots 246 and 248 are pretty much classics.

Anyway, that's my argument, 238 was a turning point for Spiderman that got him unstuck from the 1970s and the aftermath of the death of Gwen.

Well put, I'd agree with most of that. (thumbs u

Love, LOVE Hobby. :) Actually prefer him quite a bit over Green Goblin, who was mostly just cheesy. Hobby was menacing.

14260f.jpg

Yeah, Hobgoblin had a far better look than the Green Goblin. That's why they made Green Goblin into that ridiculous looking battlesuit for the film which wasn't actually an improvement, Hobgoblins look would've probably translated better to the movies than GG's.