• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beware of this Detective 140 on Ebay............

38 posts in this topic

I asked the seller if the book was trimmed. His reply was, "I bought this book from a local comic book store. I need to sell it to help pay for my tuition. it seems printed like that but I have not handled enough golden age books to compare it with. thanks."

Which really doesn't answer my question.

Wow - this was on my list for next year.

Thanks guys.

Board detectives doing their finest work again - well done!

The seller wrote back to me, "hello. I bought this book from a comic book store in my area. I am selling it to help pay for school. what are you saying?"

My reply, "I am saying the book is trimmed. CGC is a 3rd party appraiser that flagged the book as being trimmed, meaning the top of the front cover was cut off. I'd suggest you return the book to the comicbook store who sold it to you, as they cheated you. Do you want to cheat the high bidder that wins the book? I hope not."

He wrote me back again,

"hello. I do not want to cheat anyone obviously. I have near perfect feedback but shipped some auto parts that broke and the people got mad.

also though I am answering questions quickly and honestly and disclosing everything. I never claimed to know everything about this book.

buyers always assume full risk. its an imperfect world."

My response,

"Well, I sent you a link showing the book was found to be restored.

I suppose in a perfect world you would end the auction.

I suppose in a perfect world you would state that the book was found to be trimmed by CGC.

I suppose in a perfect world you wouldn't subject your bidders to full risk with no returns allowed.

I suppose in a perfect world I would not buy any books from you, and I will not.

Just be known you and your book are being talked about on the CGC chatboard.

I suspect this will not end well for you as a seller.

Winner of the slabbed book was steve0487, who must have some connection to the seller of the raw book, blueskidoo8, who sells car parts and the occasional comic book.

Great catch!

Text of steve0487 completed listing:

Hello and thanks for looking. An original Fantastic Four #1 from 1961. The book is complete. The pictures listed are of the actual book you will receive. Please judge for yourself and ask any and all questions prior to purchase as no returns are permitted. Check my other auctions for other key silver age marvel.

Text of blueskidoo8 listing:

Hello and thanks for looking. An original Detective Comics #140 from 1948. The book is complete. The pictures listed are of the actual book you will receive. Please judge for yourself and ask any and all questions prior to purchase as no returns are permitted. This is a no reserve auction for an ultra rare key and piece of comic history. Check my other auctions.

Both listings show the same rug beneath the glass table, so it's safe to say they are the same person. The thing is the buyer got a good price on the restored 8.0, and probably could have flipped it for a profit being honest.

BUSTED!

Winner of the slabbed book was steve0487, who must have some connection to the seller of the raw book, blueskidoo8, who sells car parts and the occasional comic book.

Great catch!

Text of steve0487 completed listing:

Hello and thanks for looking. An original Fantastic Four #1 from 1961. The book is complete. The pictures listed are of the actual book you will receive. Please judge for yourself and ask any and all questions prior to purchase as no returns are permitted. Check my other auctions for other key silver age marvel.

Text of blueskidoo8 listing:

Hello and thanks for looking. An original Detective Comics #140 from 1948. The book is complete. The pictures listed are of the actual book you will receive. Please judge for yourself and ask any and all questions prior to purchase as no returns are permitted. This is a no reserve auction for an ultra rare key and piece of comic history. Check my other auctions.

Both listings show the same rug beneath the glass table, so it's safe to say they are the same person. The thing is the buyer got a good price on the restored 8.0, and probably could have flipped it for a profit being honest.