• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A "Boarding" Question

91 posts in this topic

Well I got my Mylite2s and Fullbacks from my LCS.

Mylite2s:

PRO: Smooth surface. Comics look beautiful inside them.

CON: The flap does not fold over very well, even when taped down. Folding inside the the flap was even worse.

Fullbacks:

PRO: Extremely sturdy backing board. Excellent support.

CON: None.

Overall I am happy with the boards, not very happy with the Mylite2 bags.

Mylite2s:

CON: The flap does not fold over very well, even when taped down. Folding inside the the flap was even worse.

Fullbacks:

PRO: Extremely sturdy backing board. Excellent support.

CON: None.

Overall I am happy with the boards, not very happy with the Mylite2 bags.

frown.gif

The flap folds over better if the top of the board is up closer to it.

I tried that. The problem with the design is there is no fold on the Mylite. So the top when folded over is kinda rounded. It doesn't lie flat when shut. If you look at polypropelyne or polyethelyne bags, there is a fold that allows the top to lie flat when shut.

I tried that. The problem with the design is there is no fold on the Mylite. So the top when folded over is kinda rounded. It doesn't lie flat when shut. If you look at polypropelyne or polyethelyne bags, there is a fold that allows the top to lie flat when shut.

Tape it & put it in a comic box. I think they flatten over time. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Tape it & put it in a comic box. I think they flatten over time. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's what someone suggested to me, that they will flatten over time. I was just hoping for something a little more thoughtful in the design. The top corners seem to crinkle when trying to flatten the flap down.

That's what someone suggested to me, that they will flatten over time. I was just hoping for something a little more thoughtful in the design. The top corners seem to crinkle when trying to flatten the flap down.

Call Ernie Gerber & ask him to improve his product. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

right now? seems kinda late to be calling him just to discuss product improvements. maybe this should wait until the morning.

right now? seems kinda late to be calling him just to discuss product improvements. maybe this should wait until the morning.
Kinda hard to talk with Ernie Gerber! tonofbricks.gif

kinda hard talking to you. makepoint.gif

Leave a message. gossip.gif

kinda hard talking to you. makepoint.gif
You going to contact a Medium to conduct a seance? screwy.gif

Not happy with the bags?? I'm astounded.

Here's a news flash ------ news.gif

1. Snip the corners of the flaps. Make a single cut from the edge of the flap to the top of the seal where the 'bag' starts. Do this on both sides. Angle it at your preference, I do about 30 degrees.

2. Crease the mylar at the bottom of the flap when you fold it over. You cannot fold it over past where the bag seal is made, so crease it right there at the seal. You need to use your fingernail against a hard surface, like a table. This will make the flap more like what you are used to on a poly.

I do this with the board and book already in the bag.

If you do not crease the flap, tucking it in will leave things 'puffy'.

3. Tuck it in. With the corners cut, it fits right in.

Mylite2s:

Tape it & put it in a comic box. I think they [MyLite2] flatten over time. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes, they do.

I fold the flap over at the point even with the top of the backside of the bag, and I lightly crease it with my thumb. (If you try to fold it over along the top of the backing board you will be folding the flap and the top portion of the back of the bag and that makes a crinkly mess.)

Mylite2s:

There's a trick to folding the Mylite2 flap over--don't try to fold over the slack between the top of the comic or the board and the top of the Mylite's edge without the flap. I used to try to fold the flap and the slack over, and you're right, it doesn't work well--the tape comes up. However, if you fold ONLY the flap and not the slack, it works great, and even my weak little Avery dots keeps the flap down.

I guess some people might want the fold to be flush with the top of the comic or board, and using my technique leaves about 1/4" to 1/2" of bag sticking up past the top of the board, but it doesn't bother me at all. I think it did at first, but I got over it quickly once I realized that it doesn't detract anything from the aesthetics or function of the bag.

I guess some people might want the fold to be flush with the top of the comic or board, and using my technique leaves about 1/4" to 1/2" of bag sticking up past the top of the board, but it doesn't bother me at all. I think it did at first, but I got over it quickly once I realized that it doesn't detract anything from the aesthetics or function of the bag.

I agree that this is a bad idea. Pulling the flap down past the pocket seal won't do. Unless you are using the aforementioned Duct Tape.

I agree that this is a bad idea. Pulling the flap down past the pocket seal won't do. Unless you are using the aforementioned Duct Tape.

Why is it a bad idea? Other than the crinkle factor, folding the flap along the top of the board would seem more pleasing.

Why is it a bad idea? Other than the crinkle factor, folding the flap along the top of the board would seem more pleasing.

Because, like he said, you'd have to use duct tape to keep it down...

Think about what we're suggesting for a few weeks, and try it. The 1/4" of bag sticking up really doesn't matter at all. Mylite2 is just a superior bag to mylite1 in almost every other respect.

Not happy with the bags?? I'm astounded.

Here's a news flash ------ news.gif

1. Snip the corners of the flaps. Make a single cut from the edge of the flap to the top of the seal where the 'bag' starts. Do this on both sides. Angle it at your preference, I do about 30 degrees.

2. Crease the mylar at the bottom of the flap when you fold it over. You cannot fold it over past where the bag seal is made, so crease it right there at the seal. You need to use your fingernail against a hard surface, like a table. This will make the flap more like what you are used to on a poly.

I do this with the board and book already in the bag.

If you do not crease the flap, tucking it in will leave things 'puffy'.

3. Tuck it in. With the corners cut, it fits right in.

Chris,

It never came up in conversation, but I noticed your "cut flaps" on the Charlton's you sent me. I instantly thought that was a great idea! I do it now and never get a crinkle. Though it takes a little prep time, I like the results.

You should suggest this shape to the manufacturer! thumbsup2.gif