• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A "Boarding" Question

91 posts in this topic

I boughht a bunch of mylites a few years ago too. I had planned to put all my best books in Mylars, and nice cheaper books in mylites. But, I found I didnt like working with them. They were too crinkly; they tended to catch against each other when stacked in boxes; the flaps didnt fold over well and need two pieces of tape to stay down flat. etc. So I stopped using them.

And I decided to double up the lesser comics in a mylar, showing two covers facing out with one backing board to save a few $$s.

Chris,

It never came up in conversation, but I noticed your "cut flaps" on the Charlton's you sent me. I instantly thought that was a great idea! I do it now and never get a crinkle. Though it takes a little prep time, I like the results.

You should suggest this shape to the manufacturer! thumbsup2.gif

My patented technique. 27_laughing.gif

I thought about suggesting it to Gerber, but they would laugh me off. I think the cost and time necessary to make the two extra cuts on the 'assembly line' is most likely not worth it.

I use a sharp scissor and do about 5 at a time, after inserting the boards. I find they slip around too much before the boards are in. I would do them one-by-one except that I'm doing 3-5000 books that way, and it gets REALLY REALLY old... grin.gif

I bet a serious paper cutter could do a stack.

I do have to agree with deathlok that it took me awhile to get used to the books this way, and convince myself that they were just as secure without pulling the flap down hard against the top of the board.

To make sure the books dont move inside the bag while they are being seriously moved, like in a car, I just pack the books tighter than usual in the box by standing it on its end and filling the space. With just moving boxes around normally, I've never seen one go askew in the bag.

Another boarding/bagging question:

I've noticed some collectors use a Mylite and board then slip that combo into a 4 mil Mylar. Is there a good reason for this or is it just overkill? Could get kind of pricey.

It seems like overkill or maybe paranoia. I am really impressed with the sturdiness of the fullback. This should be enough to prevent any normal handling dings.

I'm of the same opinion. I just thought I was misunderstanding some new preservation technique.

It seems like overkill or maybe paranoia. I am really impressed with the sturdiness of the fullback. This should be enough to prevent any normal handling dings.

I'm of the same opinion. I just thought I was misunderstanding some new preservation technique.

Overkill or not, it's the best way to store any book worth more than $1,000 IMO.

Overkill or not, it's the best way to store any book worth more than $1,000 IMO.

I just keep my Hulk 181 an old poly bag without backing board and it seems okay so far. devil.gif

Yeah, good point especially if the books are taken to shows and/or being handled often. I could see where that thumb indentation or fingerprint on the top middle of the cover could occur being removed from the Mylar.

Not so much a question as an observation. I was reboarding/bagging today and came across my two copies of Marvel's Robocop # 1 from 1990.

622524-Robocop%20%23%201.jpg

I know this topic has been discussed before but I thought this was a prime example of acid absorption. Take a look at the backing board. Funny thing is, is that just these two issues out of a longbox of comics bagged and boarded from the same time period stained the backing boards. Could this issue just have a very high concentration of acid?

622524-Robocop%20Backing%20Board.jpg

Image enhanced with levels and converted to B/W.

622524-Robocop%20Backing%20Board%20Levels.jpg

Here are the back covers inside and out to see how the images are "burned" in.

Inside back cover.

622524-Robocop%20Inside%20Back%20Cover.jpg

Back cover.

622524-Robocop%20Back%20Cover.jpg

As you can see images from both sides have been absorbed by the backing board. A good reason to inspect those comics from time to time!

589a8d4bbaad6_622524-RobocopBackCover.jpg.67ca9639653bc0af2ef43be289c0d41f.jpg

Not so much a question as an observation. I was reboarding/bagging today and came across my two copies of Marvel's Robocop # 1 from 1990.

622524-Robocop%20%23%201.jpg

I know this topic has been discussed before but I thought this was a prime example of acid absorption. Take a look at the backing board. Funny thing is, is that just these two issues out of a longbox of comics bagged and boarded from the same time period stained the backing boards. Could this issue just have a very high concentration of acid?

622524-Robocop%20Backing%20Board.jpg

Image enhanced with levels and converted to B/W.

622524-Robocop%20Backing%20Board%20Levels.jpg

Here are the back covers inside and out to see how the images are "burned" in.

Inside back cover.

622524-Robocop%20Inside%20Back%20Cover.jpg

Back cover.

622524-Robocop%20Back%20Cover.jpg

As you can see images from both sides have been absorbed by the backing board. A good reason to inspect those comics from time to time!

I rebagged and boarded an old long box a while ago and had the same experience with several issues that had been in the same bags with boards for 15-20 years.