• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A "Boarding" Question

91 posts in this topic

Any concerns about using acidic tape? Or are you not worried since it's not in contact with the book? If that's the case, do acid-free boxes make any sense?

I only worry about the tape if it's stuck to the book. wink.gif

I use Mylite2s with fullback buffer boards. I tape the flap closed, but I don't seal it all the way across... just a centered piece of tape about an inch long. The book is protected from accidental spills, dust and insects, yet is not totally airtight so it can still breathe a bit. IMO, that's the best storage option for comic books, bar none -- including slabs.

I recently purchased microchamber paper and insert that between the front and back covers of my more expensive books.

I think acid free boxes are overkill and don't worry about it as it's not in contact with the books. However, I do change out the boxes when/if they start to yellow.

I keep my books in the basement on steel industrial shelving with wood shelf surfaces. The dehumidifier is running 24/7 and keeps the room at a steady 53% humidity +/- 2%. The room is about 68 degrees year round.

yay.gif

Any concerns about using acidic tape? Or are you not worried since it's not in contact with the book? If that's the case, do acid-free boxes make any sense?

I use Mylite2s with fullback buffer boards. I tape the flap closed, but I don't seal it all the way across... just a centered piece of tape about an inch long. The book is protected from accidental spills, dust and insects, yet is not totally airtight so it can still breathe a bit. IMO, that's the best storage option for comic books, bar none -- including slabs.

I think acid free boxes are overkill and don't worry about it as it's not in contact with the books. However, I do change out the boxes when/if they start to yellow.

I keep my books in the basement on steel industrial shelving with wood shelf surfaces. The dehumidifier is running 24/7 and keeps the room at a steady 53% humidity +/- 2%. The room is about 68 degrees year round.

yay.gif

I use Scotch brand magic tape. It doesn't "disappear" on a mylite bag and can be peeled of easily in one piece

I used the Mylites2 with halfbacks for years but just recently switched to the fullbacks on my own stuff. They're a bit more substantial.

I can't keep anything in my basement, it's an old house. My guest room is the best I can do, no AC but it faces north west so it doesn't get that hot in the summer if I draw the drapes and there isn't that much of a temperature fluctuation. Short of a climate controled room I don't think there is much one can do to forstall eventual degradation of page quality. It can be slowed but that's it.

I recently purchased microchamber paper and insert that between the front and back covers of my more expensive books.

Where did you purchase the microchamber paper?

sign-offtopic.gifLoosely related to this topic, I have serious concerns about the long term preservation of page quality. With all the high grade books that seemingly change hands so frequently, one can only guess as to the life shortening damage we are unintentionally causing by changes in environment through exposure and handling. Although they have been circulating for practically as long as they originally lay dormant, several collectors have lamented the degradation of page quality within numerous Edgar Church books. Other primo atom and golden age comics could suffer the same fate if they haven't begun to already. I sincerely hope the most celebrated silver age pedigrees and non-pedigreed high grade books do not follow suit.

I hope the current generation of collectors is not ruining their most beloved comics because they buy/sell/trade/handle them so much. I potentially foresee this as proving akin to past malfeasant activities such as trimming and color touch on golden age books. We don't want to repeat old mistakes in the hobby or create new, equally irreversible ones.

I own relatively few valuable comics, but I have to resist the urge to flip through my short boxes on an almost daily basis. Comics are certainly meant to be looked at, but I feel a certain sense of obligation as their caretaker to make sure they are well preserved for future generations to enjoy. sign-rantpost.gif

You make some excellent points. Is there a way to tell how many times a book has changed hands? I was wondering about the feasibility of a system that would track a book through it's lifetime, for example the way Carfax tracks a car. Or is this already done? I realize this would only work with graded books.

This is the seller, but I got it slightly cheaper than the store price when they ran an eBay auction

http://www.comicsupply.com/shop/index.php

Thanks zipper!

$16.99 for 100 sheets. It would be a long time before I used them all up.

You make some excellent points. Is there a way to tell how many times a book has changed hands? I was wondering about the feasibility of a system that would track a book through it's lifetime, for example the way Carfax tracks a car. Or is this already done? I realize this would only work with graded books.

First, thank you. Regarding your question about tracking books, I keep very good records of my purchases and sales. However, that doesn't help a whole lot once the book leaves my possession. One way to do this with raw books that has already been discussed for similar reasons on the boards would be to place a unique serial number on the book using an invisible ink. Obviously, you would need to make certain that the ink will not harm the comic in any way. I might suggest stamping the front side of the final page, but some research would need to be done to determine the safest location.

An online database could be established where collectors can register and be assigned their own range of serial numbers to use. Using recommended stamps and inks, they can catalog their own books and upload the information. Similar to the CGC Registry, slab serial numbers could be used to track ownership of graded books. Owners could maintain their privacy by making their name and contact information visible only if they chose to provide it through an email query form on a case-by-case basis.

Also, this begs the question as to whether or not people want to place an invisible stamp on their comic. I wouldn't do it unless I was convinced that it is completely safe.

We're getting pretty far off topic, so if someone wants to continue the discussion they should create a new thread.

-Jim

I hate tape of any kind, I just tuck in the flap on my bags for my personal collection!

I hate tape of any kind, I just tuck in the flap on my bags for my personal collection!

Same here. I don't think there's ever a good reason to use tape.

Use 3M post-its myself - hate to tuck hi.gif

Use 3M post-its myself - hate to tuck hi.gif

Those tape flags you use are fine. They are not very adhesive and they have the non-adhesive colored flag at the end, so they are easy to remove. If I were going to use tape, I'd probably use those.

On the other hand, I have no idea how they'd react when left on a mylar for 30 years, so I just don't use them. confused-smiley-013.gif

After everal mishaps,I no longer allow tape in the same room as my books.A couple of years ago,I recieved an unbelievable copy of Forever People #1.After carefuly removing the tape from the bag,I sat down and read the book.When the phone rang,I put the book down,right on top of a discarded piece of tape insane.gif

I just place the flap inside the mylite2.

After everal mishaps,I no longer allow tape in the same room as my books.A couple of years ago,I recieved an unbelievable copy of Forever People #1.After carefuly removing the tape from the bag,I sat down and read the book.When the phone rang,I put the book down,right on top of a discarded piece of tape insane.gif

I had almost the same exact incident with a VFNM copy of Dr Strange 169 = Christo_pull_hair.gif

I hate tape. It is the enemy! (Along with not paying attention... it is also the enemy insane.gif)

I had almost the same exact incident with a VFNM copy of Dr Strange 169 = Christo_pull_hair.gif

I hate tape. It is the enemy! (Along with not paying attention... it is also the enemy insane.gif)

615308-Tape%20Monster.jpg

589a8d4bb7c3f_615308-TapeMonster.jpg.a61230a9e42dc0d43a81d47088862202.jpg

615308-Tape%20Monster.jpg

Priceless... 27_laughing.gif

In the past I have used BCE Mylites(no likee) and thin-x-tenders for the everyday stuff and the 4mil Snugs with the thicker time-x-tenders for silver and bronze books. I`m going to switch to Gerber though,mainly because they will charge me $12.00 shipping and handling for the exact same weight/order that BCE charges $44.00!! I`ll be using the Archives(open top just like my snugs) and the Full-Backs.

I`m also going to start using that microchamber paper on all my "good" stuff. I bought the acid free storage boxes way back when foreheadslap.gif and now realize it is kind of a waste. Of course if I could afford it all my books would be slabbed but...

bumpit.gif