• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Statue Collections
23 23

5,037 posts in this topic

Anyone care to offer their thoughts on Hot Toys vs. regular statues (or posable vs one set pose)?

I'm interested in getting some of the Star Wars stormtroopers, but worry that, in hand, these feel/look more like big toys and less like a statue.

I'm thinking about buying my first statue, the Destroyer Maquette. Are their different versions? From what I read they originally were slated for only 500 copies to be made but then increased it to 1000. Some listings are called "Marvel Samples" and can come in unnembered boxes as only a handful exist. Is this true? Is there a prefered version to collect/purchase?

They are all the same, the unnumbered statues are basicly the extras from the run for replacements and such. If not needed they slap artist proof or marvel sample on them and try to charge a premium.

If you like to think you are getting something special pay the extra. But they are all the same other than the hype.

Anyone care to offer their thoughts on Hot Toys vs. regular statues (or posable vs one set pose)?

I'm interested in getting some of the Star Wars stormtroopers, but worry that, in hand, these feel/look more like big toys and less like a statue.

I'm starting to look more and more at Hot Toys. The prices are just bonkers for statues now. My buddy has a few. I suggest finding a place you can inspect them up close.

I have both and can honestly say when my friends and family see the them in person, they dont even look at the Hot Toys stuff in comparison to the statues.

Now I like HT, don't get me wrong, but statues are museum type poses, HEAVY, great quality, and have a wow factor when seen in person. HT are very good quality action figures.

It's all personal preference. Sometimes I get the HT itch myself, but at the end of the day, I enjoy statues quite a bit more and always feel they present much nicer than HT.

At least hot toys seems to have cool pose options. Many of the statutes I'm interested in aren't all that exciting as far as poses go. Granted, there are plenty of cool statues, but my wallet and space tell me I have to focus on only my favorite characters.

But I don't want an expensive action figure. I want something that looks great and has impact. Weight. Looks substantial. So maybe HT isn't for me.

At least hot toys seems to have cool pose options. Many of the statutes I'm interested in aren't all that exciting as far as poses go. Granted, there are plenty of cool statues, but my wallet and space tell me I have to focus on only my favorite characters.

But I don't want an expensive action figure. I want something that looks great and has impact. Weight. Looks substantial. So maybe HT isn't for me.

Most statues are museum poses, however I find the companies are starting to venture off into something more ambitious. Check out Sideshow's Spiderman or the new Deadpool. Or their 1/5 scale Wolverine vs. Hulk. Very cool pieces and really neat poses.

The most boring pose on a statue looks more visually impactful, natural and anatomically correct than the best posed figures. And nothing beats a statue with an awesome/dynamic pose. Just my opinion of course.

That's not to say figures don't have their advantages. You get tons of options and they're easier to customize, display and store, so it just comes down to preference.

As far as space goes, that's an issue for probably 99% of collectors. Being selective with statues is a necessity.

HT seem to work good as a filler. When you get that itch but don't want to shell out $400+ for a statue.

They're significantly cheaper, but expensive for what they are, IMO.

Another newb question. For Bowen Marvel busts and statues, are the lower numbered busts/statues in the limited production run more desirable than the higher numbered ones. Ex: is 2/10000 a more desirable bust/statue than the one that's 9999/10000 in that production run?

Another newb question. For Bowen Marvel busts and statues, are the lower numbered busts/statues in the limited production run more desirable than the higher numbered ones. Ex: is 2/10000 a more desirable bust/statue than the one that's 9999/10000 in that production run?

If you're asking whether they sell for more or not, I've seen an appreciable difference if you have #1/whatever, but otherwise I don't think you will get significantly more for a lower number.

But you will find that collectors like getting lower numbers, for whatever reason. Never really understood that. I have a bunch of low and single-digit numbered statues and couldn't care less.

I have a walking dead bust set that the bust was named after me and I have the #1 signed by both Kirkman and the sculptor Clyburn Moore, plus myself. The # 500 last bust in the run is unsigned and since I have the "bookends" of the run plus signed I think it will make them more valuable but selling seperatly I would say not much difference.

Also I have the Bowen Mimic # 1 bust and the prototype and I bet I couldn't get more for the #1 than any other bust as its not that sought after.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Hot Toys. Sounds like I'd rather have a statue. Can anyone enlighten me on how to tell which Sideshow items are statues? They all seem to be called figures. But the sixth scale Star Wars ones look to be posable. At least some. Are only the Premium Figures more like statues?