• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toughest High Grade Copper Age Book....

49 posts in this topic

Cool page, but way outdated. Bronty on the boards sold a CGC 9.8 copy for over $2,000. (if I remember correctly)

I posted the wrong link, I like this page where people told a few stories about how they came across their copies of it.....

http://www.usagiyojimbo.com/casl/comics/albedo-vol1-nr2/albedo2-untold-tales.html

Another very hard book to find in NM is Dark Horse Presents #1 (1st print). I bought about 10 when they came out, and everyone had a bunch of stress marks on the spine. I was able to finally find a copy from Fredkarger of all people. cloud9.gif

dhp1.jpg

Another very hard book to find in NM is Dark Horse Presents #1 (1st print). I bought about 10 when they came out, and everyone had a bunch of stress marks on the spine. I was able to finally find a copy from Fredkarger of all people. cloud9.gif

dhp1.jpg

Yeah,I've got a ton of those and most have spine stress. Loved Dark Cross.Thought it was the NEXT BIG THING

At least its held its value better than Boris The Bear!

well I agree on those indy picks, but for mainstream how about GI Joe 21?

Easily the most profound read of my childhood. This fat kid named Jason had the only copy around - beat to hell - and we were all offering him $5 or so for it and he wouldn't sell. I think that book is truly tough in HG for the sole reason that it was bought by young kids and read to pieces. Not like Crisis, etc.

26 is kind of tough too, because we were all reading that one too. I must have read my copy 40 times. 27 seems more common.

well I agree on those indy picks, but for mainstream how about GI Joe 21?

That is a toughy. Still haven't seen a raw one nicer than VF in almost 3 years.

Bought a nice NM copy at Big Apple convention last month. cloud9.gif

Nice! How much did you pay? (If you don't mind me asking.)

ASM # 301

Maybe; I've got about a dozen copies of #301, all undistributed overstock I picked up last year along with at least a dozen each of #298, #299; 8 copies of #300 and 10 copies of G.I. Joe #21. All look 9.6 or better 893crossfingers-thumb.gif. I will be bringing a few of each to WW Chicago this summer for onsite grading.

Here's a tough run of high grade books to find(I'll also be bringing these as well grin.gif):

Grafik Muzik 1-4 Dark Horse (I only have 1-3; If anyone has a 4 let me know!!)

Graphique Musique 1-3 Slave Labor

Continum 1 (First Linsner Work)

k

Good luck on the 301. I've know a half dozen dealers who have tried for the elusive 9.8. That white cover is tough and one dealer even said he thought there was a printing defect which brought down a slew of copies.

Good luck on the 301. I've know a half dozen dealers who have tried for the elusive 9.8. That white cover is tough and one dealer even said he thought there was a printing defect which brought down a slew of copies.

I thought this copy would slab 9.8 for sure...but alas...just another 9.6.

TMASM301.jpg

What's the printing defect common on this book? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

ASM 301 is a toughy to get 9.8 on..... Had a few copies over the years, and none were thier.

Watchmen 1 also seems to be tough (black cover along spine shows everything), and the Punisher Limited Series (That double size issue 1 added to spine probs IMO....)

I disagree on albedo 2. Sure, it's in the top tier due to the extremely low print run, but the production values on that book were super high - thick glossy covers, the best quality paper, etc. I'm sure the copies that went straight to mylar were quite few in #, but any such copies are going to be 9.6-9.8. In addition, I feel cgc grades this book quite leniently. I had a 9.0, a 9.4, and a 9.8 graded and in each case I was pleasantly surprised with the grade. Honestly I thought the 9.0 was a 7.5.

Besides, if you're going to pick an albedo book, why #2? There are rarer numbers with the same production values. How about dark red #1 at 500 copies? Or the yellow #0 with 50 copies? (although really, this was more of a print error than a planned variant).