• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The state of the CGC Forums

125 posts in this topic

It must suck to be a newbie of comics, as they come on here all excited about collecting comics, then end up getting lambasted because their opinion differs from others or because they asked a question that was asked before. (shrug)

IMHO.

lol I think my first post ever was a question about displaying comics, something about being concerned the covers would fade. The first response (can't remember who it was) told me I was wrong to display comics because they aren't true art, that if I wanted to hang anything on the wall I would need to buy some OA.

:tonofbricks:

This.

My first response to my first thread was 'god not this again.', but has since turned into a 7 page thread.

Reading the boards is great, I am learning loads, and am truly impressed by the knowledge of the folks here, but I can see why new people don't post.

Why not open a newbie forum where you can post stuff that has probably been asked before, then the vets that want to be helpful can post, and everyone else can just leave be.

Oh, and there should be a 2 pence smiley ;)

God, not his again. :facepalm:

No, it was 'God, not This again',

I see what you were trying to do though, :facepalm:;)

Is it my imagination, or has the activity on this forum really slowed down? I seem to remember years ago a lot more activity, tons of sales threads etc.

People especially many hard core members have soured on all the shenanigans of late with shrinkage, questionable spine repair and face jobs.

Also I think people are moving over to trade paperbacks, hard cover graphic novels, and digital comics for the most part.

I was going to buy some slabbed CGC Fantastic Four back issues when I realized I could buy Fantastic Four Omnibus volumes 1 and 2 for less then $150 on Amazon. These collect FF 1 to 60, plus annuals 1 to 4.

One silver age CGC slabbed FF would have cost me at least $150.

I get more bang for my buck buying trade paperbacks, hard cover graphic novels, and digital comics then generic run of mill slabs. lol

Reprints upon reprints, marvel masterworks, etc. It killed the ec market for a time, and now they are back reprintings reprints.

The cost of slabbing a book should come down, now that CGC has this thing down to a science and it would stimulate the markets.

Posting on the boards is not easy, reading it is. A number of "readers" have attempted to post and have be met with some pretty hard responses and are never heard from again. so, I dont think readership is down, but the remaining board members who chose to post are a pretty tough lot and is down.

Agreed Mitch,. A lot of newbies/rookies might be afraid to post. This isn`t what you call a newbie fan friendly message board compared to the other collectible hobbies I am a part of. It must suck to be a newbie of comics, as they come on here all excited about collecting comics, then end up getting lambasted because their opinion differs from others or because they asked a question that was asked before. (shrug)

IMHO.

I'm wondering what kind of message boards they have in Candy Land? I've been going on MB's for a long time and most of them react the same way to a new person who either a) comes in guns blazing or b) wants everything made easy for them as opposed to doing a little research. 2c

They're fellow comic book fans, and they should be treated with respect like you were treated with respect when you were a newb!

Go back and read some of your first posts, and you will see you were treated pretty good.

The only message boards that react like that to new persons like you say have been comic book boards and star wars boards. I wonder why? hm

Try the other hobbies like coins, guns, watches, skate boards, Air Jordan's, sports cards,video games and you will see it is much more newbie friendly. (thumbs u

I didn't ask stupid questions and I did my research before doing things like selling comics.

I would never be rude to a new person just because they're new, just like I would never defer to a jerk just because they've been here longer than I have.

(thumbs u

:shy:

:hi:

Honestly, I don't read this board every day any more...

It's been a decade. People drift off to be replaced by new people.

It's the way of the world. (shrug)

Honestly, I don't read this board every day any more...

It's been a decade. People drift off to be replaced by new people.

It's the way of the world. (shrug)

Highplainsdrifter_zps50d2dff6.jpg

Agreed Mitch,. A lot of newbies/rookies might be afraid to post. This isn`t what you call a newbie fan friendly message board compared to the other collectible hobbies I am a part of. It must suck to be a newbie of comics, as they come on here all excited about collecting comics, then end up getting lambasted because their opinion differs from others or because they asked a question that was asked before. (shrug)

IMHO.

As someone new to the boards, I didn't think it was that bad. It is the people that run around calling everyone wrong and being a bit aggressive that have trouble. They also struggle if they attempt to sell something right away. I didn't try to sell anything until I had a reputation as a buyer and had been here a while.

I'm also familiar with message boards, but in this day and age I'd imagine everyone is familiar with message boards.

IMHO.

As someone new to the boards, I didn't think it was that bad. It is the people that run around calling everyone wrong and being a bit aggressive that have trouble. They also struggle if they attempt to sell something right away. I didn't try to sell anything until I had a reputation as a buyer and had been here a while.

I'm also familiar with message boards, but in this day and age I'd imagine everyone is familiar with message boards.

I was highly offended someone said I was Stu..when I am so obviously NOT STU..but

there are a lot of nice people here...

It must suck to be a newbie of comics, as they come on here all excited about collecting comics, then end up getting lambasted because their opinion differs from others or because they asked a question that was asked before. (shrug)

IMHO.

lol I think my first post ever was a question about displaying comics, something about being concerned the covers would fade. The first response (can't remember who it was) told me I was wrong to display comics because they aren't true art, that if I wanted to hang anything on the wall I would need to buy some OA.

:tonofbricks:

This.

My first response to my first thread was 'god not this again.', but has since turned into a 7 page thread.

Reading the boards is great, I am learning loads, and am truly impressed by the knowledge of the folks here, but I can see why new people don't post.

Why not open a newbie forum where you can post stuff that has probably been asked before, then the vets that want to be helpful can post, and everyone else can just leave be.

Oh, and there should be a 2 pence smiley ;)

God, not his again. :facepalm:

No, it was 'God, not This again',

I see what you were trying to do though, :facepalm:;)

:hi:

IMHO.

I was highly offended someone said I was Stu..when I am so obviously NOT STU..but

there are a lot of nice people here...

Could've been much worse. They could've figured you for Bug or Luxx. :grin:

I have to say it really is all about two things, where you make your first posting and the general response people give you in those first few postings. The first time I ever ventured to write anything was on the Journal forum as seen through the Registry. I had read a ton of postings by Tnerb, SW3D, Bagofleas, and a host of others and finally said why not. I wrote a small journal introducing myself and what I enjoyed collecting. How I had walked away and eventually found my way back into this passion from my childhood. I'm not rich so usually high grade Silvers are out of the question and I typically stay around collecting what I enjoyed as a child (X-Force) what brought me back to comics (Cable & Hope storylines) and what I have come to enjoy through others (New Mutants) Once I posted in their I was met with an amazing reception. Welcome, nice to meet you, and can't wait to hear more.

Maybe these things were simply Bull *spoon* and maybe they were genuine but either way they made me feel welcome on here. I think it was because of that and eventually spreading into each of these my introduction was easier.

I have seen on the other hand others trying to post something that has been seen before and instead of maybe Hyper linking the individual to the previous conversation or answering a genuine question they are met with eye rolling smiley faces and other individual_without_enough_empathy remarks. Why, because who ever responds to them has to put his two cents in on a conversation that could be better off without his *spoon*. Some guy asking a question about Variants, or OA, or any other subject previously mentioned instead of us who have been on here for a little while helping out a fellow collector I constantly see this dip *spoon* :popcorn: who obviously helps that guy out.

I have tough skin, its based off what I do for a living. Not many people would talk *spoon* to my face and for that very reason could care less about criticism. A lot of guys and or girls on here start out in a shy manner. This isn't exactly a hobby or a passion that is considered the cool thing to do outside of our circle but is making traction. Some are afraid to be put down for looking like a "Nerd" or a "Geek" so to be put down by someone on here doesn't help our hobby or passion at all and certainly doesn't help them. Simple acts of kindness is all it takes to continue to help this board grow in popularity.

Goes with the saying, "If you don't have something nice to say, stay the *spoon* out of the conversation."

Is it my imagination, or has the activity on this forum really slowed down? I seem to remember years ago a lot more activity, tons of sales threads etc.

People stopped trying so hard for "pernts." It has been a little slower, but a lot calmer lately.

;)

It depends on which posters you follow. Some post at a break-neck pace.

Aw, no one follows me...

:blush: :lol: ;)

-slym

People stopped trying so hard for "pernts." It has been a little slower, but a lot calmer lately.

;)

It depends on which posters you follow. Some post at a break-neck pace.

Aw, no one follows me...

:blush: :lol: ;)

-slym

I stalk you

-slut

:baiting:

You think you stalk me... when in reality, I am reverse-stalking you.

Mind = blown.

:shy:

-slym

Whoaah! banana082.gif