• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Sci-Fi Expo -- February 8-9, 2014

116 posts in this topic

Not going tomorrow, but I had an awesome day today. Can't even gripe about the 3 hour wait. What a fun show. Picked up a lot of great books from some great people.

Huge thanks to Duncanville Comics for hooking me up with so many cool comics! I really appreciated it guys.

Also snagged 2 copies of Preacher #1 for around $50 a piece. I think they were the only two copies in the whole convention. I asked just about everyone.

Here's a dealer report:

Sold a decent amount of dollar books, and had interest in wall books (moderns and silver age). Sold a nice copy of megaton 3, golden record reprint Amazing spidey 1, couple copies of manifest destiny 1 and 2. It was a decent first day. Lots of good books in the room. The room was also PACKED with people. Lights went completely out once for about 5 min, flickered once, and the fire alarm went off for about 10 minutes straight. Looking forward to tomorrow! Guests for may were announced as Stan Lee, Nathan Fillion, William Shatner, and Robert Englund.

Not going tomorrow, but I had an awesome day today. Can't even gripe about the 3 hour wait. What a fun show. Picked up a lot of great books from some great people.

Huge thanks to Duncanville Comics for hooking me up with so many cool comics! I really appreciated it guys.

Also snagged 2 copies of Preacher #1 for around $50 a piece. I think they were the only two copies in the whole convention. I asked just about everyone.

Must've been a really nice guy who sold you the Preachers lol

Here is our dealer report:

Day 1 was a very good day for us. The crowd was large as expected and sales were brisk. We had a lot of transactions but most were below $50.00. Our half price boxes got hit pretty hard both days. Sold some wall books on day one but no major keys except our Fantastic Four #1. Because we have done the show for so long, we have people that look for us all the time so we had a couple of major sales to long time customers, which always helps. We were able to pick up a nice Flash Comics #7 and a Human Torch #6 from a good friend of ours but otherwise, we were not able to buy anything else worth noting.

Day 2 was a better than expected day. It continued a trend that we have noticed over the last year of Sundays being as good or better than Saturdays as far as sales go. The crowd was large but not huge so people are not crowded as much. Also, I believe the true comic collectors are now choosing to come on a Friday or a Sunday to fill their want list and leaving Saturdays to the cosplayers and pop culture fans. We had several larger purchases on day 2 including several wall books like Walking Dead #2 & #3 and a nice run of high grade Avengers. We were able to pick up 40+ treasuries and several mid-grade bronze age #1 issues from another dealer to fill some needs In all, we emptied quite a few boxes and had a really good show.

As we talked to the other dealers, most said it was a good show for them. I was surprised and happy to see more comic dealers in the room that we have never seen before. Most were of the one or two booth variety but there were a lot of nice books in the room. Black Cat Comics (Boyd), Bubbagump (Rick), Funny Books (Cory), Comics Kingdom (Scott), and Forgotten Treasures (Scott) were all there with their usual, nice selection of books. We were also glad to see Jaster-mereel there with a booth. It was his first show in Irving and I believe he said he did well. He has a nice selection of books and they were priced to move, so he should have been popular. We bought a couple of modern books from him to fill a need.

The promoters announced at the show that they have now sold the show to one of the bigger promotion companies and that should help all three of their shows get bigger and better. May is looking like it is going to be lights out. A few dealers expressed their concerns but I am optimistic. The thing that has held the Dallas shows back in the past has been their budget and their contacts. That should be taken care of now, so I think the future looks bright. It better, I bought enough booths!

Overall, it was a very good show and it was great to see everybody. Hope everyone that went had fun and found a lot of great treasures for their collection. See you in May!!

I'll probably give Jaster props for legit pricing.

Thank you...

Here is our dealer report:

We were also glad to see Jaster-mereel there with a booth. It was his first show in Irving and I believe he said he did well. He has a nice selection of books and they were priced to move, so he should have been popular. We bought a couple of modern books from him to fill a need.

Thanks for the shout out Andy!

My day 2 report:

Day two started off with a bang and good sales. It was fairly steady all day with dollar books, but my wall books also received some attention. Sunday seemed like is was the "buying day" as Andy described as most of the attention was on older books. I brought what was left from the 50s and 60s DC thread that I had here, and sold about $250 in older dc's which was a bonus. I was on the fence about doing the May show, but about 2 hours in I had my biggest sale of the weekend, and talked to a fan expo rep for about 10 minutes, and decided to do May too. They are looking to really grow the show into a major player that we know it can be, and I'm excited to be a part of it!

As always, it was good to see Andy and Justin at Duncanville, Boyd (bcc), Rick (Bubbagump), and Cory (funny books). Maybe at the May show we do a boardie dinner, or drinks?

Notable sales for the weekend: Strange Tales 115, Hulk 102, 2 copies Ghost Rider 1, Amazing Spiderman 1 (GRR), X-Men 12. Cool pick ups: British hardcover Annual of Empire Strikes Back (Marvel Super Special 16) signed and limited to 500 (Goodwin, Williamson, and Garzon), and a nice copy of Sgt Fury 5.

Took me way too long to catch on. Thanks man!!!!!

Solid, Solid grading too.

Took me way too long to catch on. Thanks man!!!!!

Solid, Solid grading too.

I saw 1 dealer with a Preacher #1 CGC 9.8. He was asking $800.00 for it. I had thought it was fairly steep... that was before I read that Preacher got the green light then it all made sense.

I was only able to come on Sunday but I had a good time. I got to meet jaster and buy a few inexpensive wall books. I controlled my spending by walking fast past Duncanville and Black cat, who each had great books on the wall that tempted me. I did poke around some long boxes and spent a tiny bit of cash. (Thankfully for my wallet, the ATMs ran out of cash by the early afternoon) got to catch the celeb area, say hi to some comic artists and friends, all in all, enjoyable. It's too bad I can't come in May but I might make the October show if it doesn't conflict with my own show in Oceanside. :)