• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Liefeld's newest Cover Swipe Homage to his favorite artist - HIMSELF!

65 posts in this topic

Is there out cry when Todd McFarlane swipes himself? He does it A LOT...

No, becuase he has talent.

that CGC 10.0 New Mutants #98 for $14K is a tall order for talentless art?

....Huh?

How does that have ANY relation to him being talented or not?

There is no relation to Liefeld being talented and the NM98? hm

do tell....

Just curious: why is there such hatred for Liefeld? There were hundreds of crappy artists over the years. Is it because you used to like his art as kids and you are trying to get back at him for some reason? Do you blame the guy for paying the bills?

Just curious: why is there such hatred for Liefeld? There were hundreds of crappy artists over the years. Is it because you used to like his art as kids and you are trying to get back at him for some reason? Do you blame the guy for paying the bills?

the haters make him more popular lol

as a kid i enjoyed the NM run. the guy is laughing all the way to the bank drawing comics...The most popular athlete, artist, leader, etc has the most haters, and even more fans

some people hate on McFarlane too. i think he sleeps well at night (thumbs u

ok, back to the hating.... :popcorn::popcorn:

....Huh?

do tell....

There's lots of evidence to point that Rob Liefeld is not talented. Making money does not equate to talent.

There's lot of evidence to point that Deadpool is very popular, which would explain a brain-numbingly high price for that NM98.

See the 2nd post in this thread - it has nothing to do with jealousy and paying the bills is no excuse for thievery, infringement and violating people's creative rights.

If you truly want to know why Liefeld is hated, I'd suggest spending a few minutes to read what kind of "professional" he is and then reconsider your stance.

I never liked Liefeld's art. To me it was hideous. I knew understood why anyone liked it. After that, I just didn't like him because he wasn't a professional. He never met a deadline when doing books. There were times when there months between issues. I didn't buy his stuff, but would read articles and such where he would do say Issue #1 and then 3-4 months later issue #2 would come out, then another six months for issue #3. I mean, here was a guy getting paid lots to draw a book and couldn't make a deadline. I mean, through the years you had artists and writers doing 2-3-4 books a month and this guy couldn't do one?!

Found this and it helps explain Liefeld's art: http://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/4/21/2960508/worst-rob-liefeld-drawings

I found it true and hilarious.

....Huh?

do tell....

There's lots of evidence to point that Rob Liefeld is not talented. Making money does not equate to talent.

There's lot of evidence to point that Deadpool is very popular, which would explain a brain-numbingly high price for that NM98.

you make good points.

its only opinion of liking or not liking his art or he is talented.

Bad business deals is a separate thing, and those factual links make good arguments

each to their own

cap_liefeld.jpg

:applause: I'm amazed it took four pages to get to this image. I don't think I've ever seen a Liefeld thread where that image isn't posted early.

Well done.

And I'll never understand the hate. Do I like his art? No- but that doesn't mean I hate the guy like so many. He continues to get work too... Makes you wonder...

....Huh?

do tell....

you make good points.

its only opinion of liking or not liking his art or he is talented.

Bad business deals is a separate thing, and those factual links make good arguments

each to their own

I agree there is way worse art out there, and everyone's tastes are different - but his ethics leave a lot to be desired. And, because of the line of work I am in, I am particularly sensitive to that topic - which is why I am the one screaming about it like a lunatic.

See the 2nd post in this thread - it has nothing to do with jealousy and paying the bills is no excuse for thievery, infringement and violating people's creative rights.

If you truly want to know why Liefeld is hated, I'd suggest spending a few minutes to read what kind of "professional" he is and then reconsider your stance.

I did read most of that, but everything mentioned in those articles happened at least 15 years ago.(as far as I can tell). And most of the hate in this thread is directed at his art, not at his actions of yesteryear.

I did read most of that, but everything mentioned in those articles happened at least 15 years ago.(as far as I can tell). And most of the hate in this thread is directed at his art, not at his actions of yesteryear.

So if it happened 15 years ago, it's ok because he's a much better person now? Perhaps reading Rob Liefeld's tweet about his DC editor's tiny pecker after he quit working for them last year might change your mind on his current level of professionalism.

He's a dirtbag. And the passage of time does not make his questionable ethical choices any less egregious. I am totally open to people learning from their mistakes and making changes to their outlook after they've been shown the right way of doing things. It's hard to forgive someone for being an :censored: 15 years ago who still continues to be an :censored: today.

He's a horrible professional and the tip of the iceberg when criticizing him is his art, which is why everyone starts there when ragging on him. Again, not jealousy - he is generally disliked, and yes - that might mean that he sells more comics, but money doesn't buy you talent, respect or admiration.

6CDA10FA-3266-437F-A9F8-6D79DA4C439C-29712-000016628392301B_zps3b1cef93.jpg

You're absolutely right, art is always subjective.

Hey - put a couple slices of cheese on that, grill it up and people will travel the world over to see it.

cap_liefeld.jpg

Glad to see Todd's reaction. McFarlane was kind of a butt at times when he first started Image so its cool that he has mellowed in age.

And why does Cap have double "D" breasts?! :facepalm: Rob!!! :censored:

Mellowed with age and a winless streak in court appearances. He just lost his battle with Neil Gaiman over the rights for 'Angela', of which came out looking like a d-bag.

I did. His art looked stylish and fresh. When i was twelve, he was one of the 3 most popular artists in comics. Looking back I can see he obviously never owned an eraser and seems to have very little respect for his audience. I still own some of his books but not because of his so called talent but because they are key issues that represent a strange era in comics. An era where big musles, big guns and big boobs were the popular recipe for making a comic book and story took a back seat. Rob Liefeld is the poster boy of that era and with good reason.