• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J G Jones 1st Published Work...

12 posts in this topic

...On a little known comic book title called Dark Dominion.

Back on June 29, 2013, I attended Wizard World NYC. As I mentioned in a previous journal about my experience (which was mostly very positive), I found the show to be much smaller in scale and scope than New York Comic Con (coincidentally coming up this Thursday).

In fact, Wizard World's list of comic creators, writers and artists appearing for signings was rather sparse. And of those attending the show, there was only one who stood out to me (my apologies to all the others): J G Jones.

Now many of you may know the name, and many of you may not.

I first came to know of the artist for his brilliant cover works for DC. He provided the cover art for the entire 52 issues (published weekly) of the series 52. You may have seen the iconic cover to the first issue in which J G Jones rendered an unforgettable image: We bear witness to the foreground... Superman's strewn cape has been pierced through the back in the middle of the "S" by Wonder Woman's sword, while her Lasso and Batman's Cowl and Cape hang lifelessly on the golden hilt. In the background, under the cover of heavy black-grey clouds, Renee Montoya, Animal Man, The Question, Will Magnus and Steel stand gravely, as a sliver of sunlight cuts through those thick clouds unlike a beacon of hope, onto the iconic costumed articles of our missing heroes; an ominous image and very symbolic of the great mystery which is the heart of this series.

You may also know J G Jones for the explosive covers and interiors he illustrated for Mark Millar's Wanted. How can you not?

Or, if you're a fan of the classic Vertigo series: Y: The Last Man, J G Jones painted a number of iconic covers including the classic cover to the first issue where Yorick Brown is on his knees fitted in a straight jacket as his faithful monkey Ampersand hangs on his back. I happen to believe, Yorick Brown on that cover looks suspiciously like the artist himself. Yorick is depicted with alabaster skin, boyish looks, and crowned with a crew cut styled from the 50's and 60's, which peaks in triangular fashion over the forehead reminiscent of a short brim on a kiddie baseball cap. If you don't believe me Google images J G Jones and Y The Last Man issue 1 and see for yourself.

While you are at it, do a search for the skeletal corpse of the Astronaut he rendered for the series in issue 15 which I think is fantastic.

For those still clueless on the guy, check out his amazing art on his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JGJonesArt

Anyway... enough of my jabbering and let's get to the business on hand.

So what I have for you are the very first graded and signed pro works of the man. J G Jones first worked for an indie label called Defiant back in 1994. His work debuted on a little known horror-occult-supernatural title called Dark Dominion, written by Len Wein (creator of Wolverine, new X-Men, Swamp Thing), and co-conceived by fellow comic's genius Steve Ditko (creator of Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, The Question, The Creeper).

We are first introduced to J G Jones artistic brilliance in issue 7, and sequentially in issues 8 and 9 before he moved on to another comic called Rant by Boneyard Press (which I will discuss in another Journal).

So these three beauties (see pic) are the first ever graded by CGC for Dark Dominion 7, 8, and 9, and are also the first Signature Series grades of their kind.

But lamentably, once again (see Curse of the Spawn 9), CGC failed to note in Dark Dominion 7 its key significance: that it is J G Jones first pro comic book work. And that's really sad since I had a CGC witness overhear my conversation with J G Jones regarding this comic and his acknowledgement that it was indeed his first pro comic book work.

Anyway... What's a fella to do?

But nonetheless, I'm happy to bring a first to the CGC and to my fellow collectors.

Thank for reading.

Happy Collecting!

SW3D

14410.JPG

See more journals by screenwriter3d

Another popular artist's first (and obscure) pro published artwork. First we get Neal Adams on an old Archie comic and now this.

Neither of them was I aware of. I DO remember this series, but never collected them or read them or anything. I like these unknown 1st works.

Let's keep sharing this most interesting information on our favorite artists. Especially when it involves the more obscure.

Dear BOF,

Yeah... I think it's neat when we "discover" the first works of some of our favorite comic book creators. Sometimes it feels like a race with other treasure seekers, and I get an insane thrill/rush from it.

Case in point, I have been digging everywhere for Greg Capullo's first work, which appears in a very obscure title called Gore Shriek. God I would love to get a NM/M+ copy of it but it doesn't seem to be anywhere.

The one that I have in my collection that is a "holy grail" is John Byrne's first published comic he wrote and illustrated in college called "ACA Comix No. 1". But lamentably, it is not recognized by Overstreet or even the CGC as his first published comic book... even though it is (go to Byrne Robitics where the man himself discusses it).

Well... got to get back to treasure hunting.

Till next time!

SW3D

Nice post, I loved the first cover to 52 (and most other in the series). I purchased the first five or six issues when the series first came out but I never got to reading them, or finishing the series for that matter. Now I want to read this series thanks to your post, I can now also associate a name to the great covers of 52!

Thanks for putting the word out.

B

Glad you liked the journal.

I too need to reacquaint myself with 52 and Y the Last Man.

By the way J G Jones is a very humble and nice guy. He tarted my comics with extreme care.

So if you ever attend a con he's at, I suggest you get those 52's signed. It'll be worth it.

SW3D

Great post.

Here is what a fella should do ;)

The part I disagree with you is that you are dissapointed that the CAW overheard your conversation yet CGC did not note it on the label.

This is not the CAW's responsibility, it is the submitters. Did you write in the notes section or make it obvious on your invoice that this is JG Jones first work?

I know if I want a pedigree mentioned or I want a yellow label to read "sketched and signed by" I write it on the CGC invoice and mention it to Mike Balent at the CGC booth.

Just a suggestion for the future.

Best,

Sean

Dear NYComics,

Thanks for reading my journal and for your reply.

I don't blame the witness in any way, it is just a pity a rep was on hand to overhear the artist reconfirming what I had denoted on the invoice, and yet it seems to have been overlooked.

Believe it or not, I always make it a point to denote a key in the CGC invoice submission whenever necessary.

In this particular case, I noted, in parenthesis: (JG Jones 1st Published Work).

Now I believe, someone at CGC should have fact checked this information. Perhaps it was the wording? But that could have been easily re-worded as "JG Jones 1st Pro Comic Work" or something along those lines.

I also denoted a key detail in my submission for Curse of the Spawn 9: (Origin of Angela), but that too was omitted.

And I also denoted a key detail in yet another submission for an exceptionally rare comic: ACA Comix No. 1. The notation I made was: (John Byrne's 1st Published Comic Book)... which it is.

And I'll be honest, I love key notations. They are a big deal to me. My collecting habits are focused on keys and what they mean to me and what they represent in significance and value to the comic.

Now I'm not crying about it... everyone is allowed to make mistakes, however, I encourage the collecting community and CGC graders and their staff to cross reference notations supplied by collectors for accurancy and honor them if they are indeed correct. It is the least they could do for someone who is paying them for this service.

Here's another example...

...One huge key notation that is always omitted from one of my favorite comics (Swamp Thing Volume 1, No. 2), is Anton Arcane's first appearance. Anton Arcane is Swamp Thing's arch nemesis. His very first appearance is in that issue (and if you want to get technical, Anton Arcane and his Un-Men make an Off Screen Cameo on the very last panel of Swamp Thing Volume 1, No. 1). I have never seen a CGC graded comic of that issue with said key notation. Instead, CGC notes: "1st Appearance of the Patchwork Man (cameo on last page)". That to me is absolutely ridiculous! That's like failing to note the Joker's first appearance or Lex Luthor's in favor of some minor character. The Patchwork Man is basically irrelevant in the Swamp Thing mythos. And I personally made a phone call to CGC last year about it, but the answer I got was very unsatisfactory.

They honestly have to do a better job of fact checking.

Just my opinion.

SW3D

J.G. Jones is a tremendous artist. He did a sketch on a blank cover for me at WW Philly earlier this year. I should really put "sketch" in quotes because he came up with this beauty.

P.S. Didn't know he got his start at Defiant. That's the shortlived company Jim Shooter started up after Valiant, right?