• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green Lantern: Rebirth

43 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

Anyone else looking forward to this?

I've been looking forward to this for a couple of months now. And yesterday, I found out that Ethan Van Sciver will be at my LCS October 30th to sign and do sketches!

Since us people in South Florida never get any big conventions, and after all the hurricanes we've had this year, I just needed something to look forward to wink.gif

Personally, I don't think Kyle was a bad Green Lantern, and I have enjoyed the comic the last couple of years, but I am looking forward to seeing Hal return. I never really got into him being the Spectre or whatever.

On top of that, I get a chance to have Ethan draw a sketch on my cover! It will be my first comic that will be signed and sketched with me actually being there. I have never had a chance to go to a big comic-con, so this is a new experience for me!

I guess I'll have to get a couple of copies of #1, one so I can read, and one to be signed!

grin.gifcool.gif

Oddly, I'm interested in this, tho' I'm more a fan of John Stewart as Earth's Green Lantern.

My intro to GL Hal Jordan was in JLoA #110. In this issue, Hal slipped on a bar of soap and konked himself out so Stewart came in as the alternate. After defeating The Key, I really admired the way Stewart rebuilt the slums that Key's bomb blew up... minus the rats, roaches, structural problems, etc. He couldn't use the ring to provide them palatial homes, but he could make what they had better by not creating some things.

My second exposure was Flash 226 wherein Flash and GL team-up... only to have GL taken out early for breaking some future law (as I recall).

All in all, then, Hal struck me as something of a doofus. Still, I am willing to give him another chance... if Rebirth is a good read.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Like most silver age super-heroes, Hal Jordan was a bit of a doofus, but that doesn't make him any less of a fun character when the stories are right. The best Hal Jordan stories IMO are the famous GL/GA stories by O'Neil and Adams,

1448_2_076.jpg

the second series from the 1980's (the one with the Pat Broderick art), where Hal was a seasoned vet guiding the younger Green Lanterns (and the corps) while also trying to rebuild his personal life,

3986_2_0000007.jpg

and the Ganthet's Tale prestige book by Niven and Byrne.

4401_2_1.jpg

Recently, Hal's been doing his best stuff in Elseworlds books like Alan Davis' Justice League: The Nail and the sequel:

5977_2_2.jpg

and Darwyn Cooke's DCU: The New Frontier:

Master_SiteComics292281.jpg

I never really cared much for John Stewart as Green Lantern. I never really found him to be very interesting, but his arrogance in Cosmic Odyssey #2, causing a planet's destruction by showing off to the Martian Manhunter really made me dislike the character:

3581_2_2.jpg

On the other hand, Guy Gardner could be fun as a secondary character:

3364_2_05.jpg

And occasionally as a lead, especially when Beau Smith and Mitch Byrd (and Phil Jimenez) were doing Warrior for DC.

gg23.jpg

I am looking forward to this series.

I wonder if Hal's rebirth will make any of the events of the Parallax debacle more palatable to this Green Lantern fan. Kind of doubt it, but as a fan of Hal Jordan, I'll take his return to the DC Universe as GL regardless.

Now only if DC could extend an olive branch to the readers and get Adams to draw an issue or two...

I wonder if Hal's rebirth will make any of the events of the Parallax debacle more palatable to this Green Lantern fan. Kind of doubt it, but as a fan of Hal Jordan, I'll take his return to the DC Universe as GL regardless.

Now only if DC could extend an olive branch to the readers and get Adams to draw an issue or two...

Just to prove I'm as big a Hal Jordan geek as the rest... hail.gif

My hope is the return retcons the whole Emerald Twilight thing away. That's hard to do with the Hal-Spectre barnacle on top of everything. mad.gif But my pet theory involves Pol Manning... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And a No-Prize goes out to anyone who has the faintest idea what I'm babbling about (without Googling it!).

Just to prove I'm as big a Hal Jordan geek as the rest... hail.gif

My hope is the return retcons the whole Emerald Twilight thing away. That's hard to do with the Hal-Spectre barnacle on top of everything. mad.gif But my pet theory involves Pol Manning... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And a No-Prize goes out to anyone who has the faintest idea what I'm babbling about (without Googling it!).

I googled it... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Does Pol Maning have something to do with his alternative self in the distant future trying to protect the Legion of Superheros'? I read this in a recent article somewhere lately and can't recall where. I think the Hal fan said they were hoping that Pol Maning is the person who went crazy and that Hal is still stuck in the future being...well Pol. Do I win? thumbsup2.gif Or did I mess up your whole refrence?

Me too... sorry, no retcons... Hal went bad and became the Spectre to redeem his past sins... I think he finds a way to get off the hook.

Not sure how he does it, but the Spectre is too important a character to be tossed aside by all of this. My hope is that Jim Corrigan will give up his vacation in heaven and take up the mantle again and we can get back to some good old fashioned vengeance.

Does Pol Maning have something to do with his alternative self in the distant future trying to protect the Legion of Superheros'? I read this in a recent article somewhere lately and can't recall where. I think the Hal fan said they were hoping that Pol Maning is the person who went crazy and that Hal is still stuck in the future being...well Pol. Do I win? thumbsup2.gif Or did I mess up your whole refrence?

Yeah... you win acclaim.gif

It would be a better theory if it hadn't already been tried during the Ben Reilly Spider-Man thing. frustrated.gif

Another caveat-- I dropped GL when Steve Englehart turned it into GL Corps with #201, and I skipped many, many issues on either side of #150, so this may not hang together at all.

Pol Manning originally was Hal Jordan himself when he travelled to 5700AD and received memory implants to make up for the amnesia that resulted from that particular time travel technology. Later, on a subsequent 5700AD trip, a separate Pol personna was split off via the power ring, and was last seen wandering the edges of space in 5700 AD. (All this stuff really happened in the Silver Age series)

So, yeah, the idea is that sometime prior to Emerald Twilight, Pol and Hal switched places (probably would require an untold 5700AD story to have reunited them). Pol went nuts, Hal's been elsewhere and innocent of what's happened since.

Of course, the problem is that with the Spectre bit, presumably God Himself is now implicated in the scam. So you say that really Pol is just another Hal in terms of who he was created to be. While Hal is technically innocent, you still have the pathos of Hal carrying around the knowledge he has the potential within himself to do his own version of Emerald Twilight. You also probably have many of the JLA (say Batman) highly skeptical of the lame Pol Manning alibi. smirk.gif

So at the end of the day, you have:

- Pol/Spectre goes off to the afterlife

- Hal returns as GL, sans grey temples

- we have a new Spectre (Corrigan if you wish), sans green eyemask.

Whatcha say? Can I be a Modern comics plotter? insane.gif

No, well, then plan B is Carol Ferris secretly got it on with Sinestro, and as a result, their acclerated-aged love child grows up to... yeahok.gif

THey should have had money man Turner do the covers and you'd have gotten even more people on this

...or Rob Liefield. insane.gif

You trying to kill the series?

Then Hal would have to left hands and wear 2 rings the size of his fist on each hand