• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My mother, comics, and me - a Memorial

46 posts in this topic

Earlier this year, my mother had a bad fall while I was attending Planet Comicon. I didn't know how bad it was until later, but it was the first in a series of events that led to a horrible conclusion. This past Saturday, she passed away from lung cancer at the age of 71.

The circumstances that happened over the last several months have made it very difficult to remember much of her life, and it is only now that the memories are starting to come back. Some of these include:

Reading Marvel Team-Up #16 when I was five in the back of the car while my parents were driving me around

Finding a Joker Mego figure that she hid on top of the fridge which she had planned to give me for my birthday

Reciting Power Records stories to her that I memorized

Playing with a ton of Star Wars figures, ships, and playsets during Christmas break in 1977 that she gave me

Being taken to my first comic book store and talking her into taking me to see Alien when I was 12

I even talked her into reading one comic book, Daredevil #181, even though she didn't really like them much.

There are lots more that keep coming to mind as I write this, but this gives an idea of how much my Mom loved me and encouraged my love of comics and science fiction.

Thanks a lot Mom for all the great memories, and I'll miss you terribly.

She sounds like a great mother. I have similar memories of my mom. She always took an interest in whatever I was interested in. She would drive me to monthly cons in NYC, look in corner stores for copies of Spider-Man 252 or whatever hot book was currently out. She even carried around my 1973 baseball card want list for years in her purse in case she ever found any. I'm lucky that she's still around. I can only hope to be as good a dad as my mom was for me.

I think lots of us had moms who fostered our love of comics, reading and imagination. While our (typically more practical) dads shook their heads at us spending hard earned money on "funny books", our moms got the sense of wonder they inspired (even if they didn't get who was who and that there was a difference between Marvel and DC).

PT your mom sounds like one of those moms, and that's a great vision of her to have even after she's gone. Sorry for your loss.

Earlier this year, my mother had a bad fall while I was attending Planet Comicon. I didn't know how bad it was until later, but it was the first in a series of events that led to a horrible conclusion. This past Saturday, she passed away from lung cancer at the age of 71.

The circumstances that happened over the last several months have made it very difficult to remember much of her life, and it is only now that the memories are starting to come back. Some of these include:

Reading Marvel Team-Up #16 when I was five in the back of the car while my parents were driving me around

Finding a Joker Mego figure that she hid on top of the fridge which she had planned to give me for my birthday

Reciting Power Records stories to her that I memorized

Playing with a ton of Star Wars figures, ships, and playsets during Christmas break in 1977 that she gave me

Being taken to my first comic book store and talking her into taking me to see Alien when I was 12

I even talked her into reading one comic book, Daredevil #181, even though she didn't really like them much.

There are lots more that keep coming to mind as I write this, but this gives an idea of how much my Mom loved me and encouraged my love of comics and science fiction.

Thanks a lot Mom for all the great memories, and I'll miss you terribly.

So sorry for your loss :foryou:

I cant even think about living without my mom.

Dude, very sorry to hear of your mothers passing..... :sorry: Sometimes tragedy has a way of releasing the floodgates on stuff forgotten.. sounds like the memories that came back were wonderful! Your mom is a very special woman, and it sounds like she helped create a special son. Her legacy lives on in you my friend... :gossip:

I'm sorry for your loss. My mother and I are close too. When she was dating my dad they used to read X-Men comics together. She still likes them and has gone to a show with me, my wife, and kids before. Her favorite comics are the ghost story ones. We every once and a while about comics. Out of my two other brothers I think I am the only one who has this type of closeness and it would hurt me dearly to lose her. My heart goes out to you.

Sorry for your loss sir.

Lost my Mom right at 17 years back and she was way to young to go at 53.

Best comic related memory was being 14 years old and wanting to go see Conan the Barbarian back in '82.

Mom let me out at the theater and like most mothers was careful enough to wait in the parking lot until after I got in the theater. I got to the front of the line and the lady at the box office window said I was too young to see Conan. doh!

I was devastated... especially since the same woman had no problem letting me in to see Friday the 13th Part II the preceding summer. :o

Well I walked back to the car... visibly disappointed... and told Mom what happened. Mom looked at her watch and said "come on" and she took me in to see Conan.

I loved the movie violence and loved watching Mom look through her hands when the blood went to flying.

I remember being so uncomfortable when Conan was getting his Crom on with the ladies and Mom was setting right there watching too. :blush:

By the time Conan was tacked to the tree cracking vulture necks with his teeth... Mom was hooked. She clapped when Subotai came to save the day.

I love those memories... my Mom was the coolest :headbang:

Sorry for your loss sir.

Lost my Mom right at 17 years back and she was way to young to go at 53.

Best comic related memory was being 14 years old and wanting to go see Conan the Barbarian back in '82.

Mom let me out at the theater and like most mothers was careful enough to wait in the parking lot until after I got in the theater. I got to the front of the line and the lady at the box office window said I was too young to see Conan. doh!

I was devastated... especially since the same woman had no problem letting me in to see Friday the 13th Part II the preceding summer. :o

Well I walked back to the car... visibly disappointed... and told Mom what happened. Mom looked at her watch and said "come on" and she took me in to see Conan.

I loved the movie violence and loved watching Mom look through her hands when the blood went to flying.

I remember being so uncomfortable when Conan was getting his Crom on with the ladies and Mom was setting right there watching too. :blush:

By the time Conan was tacked to the tree cracking vulture necks with his teeth... Mom was hooked. She clapped when Subotai came to save the day.

I love those memories... my Mom was the coolest :headbang:

Very cool story :foryou:

Thank you for sharing.