• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My mother, comics, and me - a Memorial

46 posts in this topic

So sorry for your loss.

Those memories you have of her pertaining to comics and your love for them are so grand. You are so very fortunate, she sounds like a very special person. You take care.

(Btw, I created a Movie Dell Classics set in honor and gratitude of my Father and the memories he gave me of us watching some of his favorite movies together when I was little guy. I can smell the popcorn, see the actual bowl and see his face when certain lines or songs came up that he loved. The set helped me keep those wonderfully fun and innocent times as a remembrance of the joy and love he gave me)

Both of my parents passed away about six years ago. I am sorry for your loss. I believe with all my heart that our souls go on to heaven to be with the creator. Your mother is there, waiting for you. While we wish our loved ones were back with us, in fact if we could still talk to them they would be saying "no, you come join us".

I remember my mother taking my brother and I across town to another drug store when the one close by the house sold out of books we wanted. And in general, mom was avid reader and recognized the value of reading - period. She understood long before the professor types did that anything that got you interested in reading was good.

My sincere condolences for your loss :foryou:

Those are some amazing memories to cherish. Thank you for sharing them.

My mother passed in 2003. She was the one who got me started reading comics. She went well out of her way to help me with collecting and did so many times.

Sorry for your loss! I have tears in my eyes after reading this.

My mother always helps me out at conventions where I'm selling some stuff. She really likes it and enjoys watching all the crazy people. I don't want to think about the day when there is only me at the Con..

Your mom was and is awesome. Great memories of her. My folks are still around and I'm forever grateful to them BOTH for tolerating and truly encouraging my hobby. They took my brother, sister, and I to my first San Diego Comic-Con back in 1975 and I recall meeting Mel Blanc at the 1976 show. He said, "What's Up, Doc?" to me. That memory alone is worth a million bucks. I could go on and on and on with all of this, but suffice to say that your post brought it all back and I'm so glad to know that there are others out there who were fortunate to have folks like your mom.

Best to you and your fam.

Mick

Thanks again to everyone for your posts and condolences. We held the service for her yesterday and shared a lot of memories.

Along with Mom's encouragement for my comic collecting, we saw a lot of movies together. Some of these included:

Battle for the Planet of the Apes (turned me into a POTA fanatic)

Jaws (had me on the edge of my seat; She also bought me a Jaws shark fishing game)

Star Wars, ESB, ROTJ

Superman the Movie

Raiders of the Lost Ark

With Star Wars, I still remember vividly when I first heard of it. I was playing with my toys and Mom yelled, "Hey Pat, they're going to show a scene from Star Wars!" I ran into the kitchen and saw the scene where the Millennium Falcon took off from Mos Eisley on a small black and white TV.

I also remember in 1980 seeing the ads for Alien and bugging Mom to take me to see it. It was the first rated R movie that I got to see, and I was only 12 years old. She and Dad took me to see it and I'll never forget it. A few weeks later, I saw a bunch of the Alien figures in a discount bin at Venture, and tried to talk her into buying me one, but she wouldn't go for that.

At the service, I sang and played a couple of songs on my acoustic guitar: a personalized version of Paul McCartney's "Here Today" and Clapton's arrangement of "Over the Rainbow" to celebrate Mom and her love of movies.

Anyway, my apologies for the long post. It just helps to write about this and share the memories.