• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ROUND 16 : Contest

78 posts in this topic

What's funny is that almost everyone on the board thinks that all ages of books should be graded the same.

From what I could see, the book had:

1) One spine stress line

2) One corner bump

If that's all a GA or early SA book had, would everyone call it less than 9.0? I don't think so.

I would.

This application of the idea that there is a "sliding scale" according to how OLD a book is is absurd. A book is either "NEAR MINT" or it ISN'T. End of story (no pun intended).

The whole concept of the "Golden Age Curve" is based in the idea that the better the GRADE on the LABEL the MORE MONEY the book will be worth. It's sickening, actually.

What's funny is that almost everyone on the board thinks that all ages of books should be graded the same.

From what I could see, the book had:

1) One spine stress line

2) One corner bump

If that's all a GA or early SA book had, would everyone call it less than 9.0? I don't think so.

It also had a poly-bag sealing crease (light, non-color-breaking surface crimp) down the entire center of the back cover. 9.0 on that book is a joke. Abraded spine corners, a 1/4 inch spine stress, a 1/4 inch corner crease, and a top edge thumb crease on a 9.0? Not on my planet. screwy.gif

Not that I'm bitter or anything. yay.gif

It also had a poly-bag sealing crease (light, non-color-breaking surface crimp) down the entire center of the back cover. 9.0 on that book is a joke. Abraded spine corners, a 1/4 inch spine stress, a 1/4 inch corner crease, and a top edge thumb crease on a 9.0? Not on my planet.

I will acknowledge that I have no idea what affect the polybag crimp had on the book. I actually didn't factor it in to our team grade because to me it is a production / distribution type defect.

I could show you dozens of scans of CGC 9.0's with the other defects you mentioned. Of course they would all be GA/SA books (since I don't own any moderns).

Public apology to my team every one said either 8.5 or 9.0 , I meant to email Nikos with 8.5 and we would have got half a point .

For some reason I can't explain I ended up mailing Nikos with 8.0 which got us no points .

I must have been distracted when I mailed Nikos .

SORRY GUYS I SCREWED UP !! frustrated.gif

Expanding on blutobc's post...I believe that there have been adjustments in the expectations of folks who submit their books to CGC.

In other words, after a few disappointing initial submissions, people become more attuned to CGCs grading standards and probably don't suffer the "grade shock" they experienced after getting their first subs back. That was my experience.

So it's quite possible that CGCs grading is pretty much as it always was, it's just that we've gotten better at evaluating a book before we send it in, thus we get grades closer to what we expected, thus the resulting perception that CGC is grading easier.

893applaud-thumb.gif I posted my submission results. It was all over the map. I didn't take back cover into account--I now know that is a bad mistake.

Anyway, I agree with Red's comments here.

WOW! I have to give it up for my teammates - they said you are the modern grader - and told me to take the lead - I thought 9.2 all the way with no doubt compared to the moderns I've sent in and received (honestly, do I even submit anything but modern? tongue.gif )

I think with the defects mentioned it is not exactly NM, thus the VF split grade qualifier makes sense. I've never seen platinum covers go too low even with these defects since the stock is so durable that most afflictions downgrading regular covers don't exist in this case.

and to my teammates, yay.gif

Comicmankev-------------7.0

FantasyFootballBono-----8.0

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

errr, Stynx, i realize they rubbed our noses in it last time, but i thought we were gonna be COOL throughout the contest frown.gif

i just got back from a 3 day weekend for my B'day in Sullivan county PA. just gorgeous country. the first thing i saw was the guesses that were posted. i had guessed 9.0 so when the team went that way i felt good. then i saw FFB and Comicmankev with much lower guesses and i got real nervous. but guess what??? then i saw the king of the moderns (the D team) at 9.2 and i felt VERY good.

glad i made it back in time for tomorrow's deadline and hope i don't screw things up. grin.gif hope everyone does well tomorrow (except you know who..........) devil.gif

wink.gifflowerred.gif

Comicmankev-------------7.0

FantasyFootballBono-----8.0

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

errr, Stynx, i realize they rubbed our noses in it last time, but i thought we were gonna be COOL throughout the contest frown.gif

i just got back from a 3 day weekend for my B'day in Sullivan county PA. just gorgeous country. the first thing i saw was the guesses that were posted. i had guessed 9.0 so when the team went that way i felt good. then i saw FFB and Comicmankev with much lower guesses and i got real nervous. but guess what??? then i saw the king of the moderns (the D team) at 9.2 and i felt VERY good.

glad i made it back in time for tomorrow's deadline and hope i don't screw things up. grin.gif hope everyone does well tomorrow (except you know who..........) devil.gif

wink.gifflowerred.gif

burntboy, that's why i put the wink.gif and flowerred.gif at the bottom. I meant it in a jokingly way! sorry.gif

and happy birthday!