• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlie Adlard prices?

8 posts in this topic

I'm going. I was hoping he might do a few freebies for the fans at a small UK con. Personally would just ask if he could do a quick sketch but have some cash as a backup or maybe offer a donation somewhere if declined. On all accounts everyone says he is a really nice guy so you will probably be lucky. Just bear in mind that a quick sketch and a paid for sketch may be two different things when it comes to quality (but then you already know that).

I have enquired and there will be sig and sketch ops after most of the shows.

See you around :shy: ! I don't know if I will be wearing my cowboy hat though :P

That's kind of what I was hoping, given the lower key nature of the event rather than a full-blown convention. In all honesty I find the idea of a set price for x amount of detail slightly crass, even though it's expected for most cons, but I was pretty much hoping for a quick chat, a sig and maybe a doodle if I'm really lucky. Really looking forward to the festival anyways, it'll be a nice change of atmosphere than most heaving, smelly cons, shame the event doesn't seem to have been talked about on these boards.

There's nothing wrong with charging for detail when you think about it. What you are actually paying for is time from a professional. An hourly rate pretty much like most working people on the planet if you like.

It certainly looks like a different kind of convention. Looking forward to it.

I think the profiteering folks have ruined it for the fans, so it's not the artists fault per se about what's being charged.

There's a limited amount of time at a show. When demand exceeds supply the law of economics sometimes kicks in as well. When the "I'm your biggest fan" sketch ends up on eBay, it's easy for an artist to become a bit jaded.

Many artists figure to circumvent those efforts and just charge the market value of what their art would sell for on a place like eBay to effectively eliminate the middle man who seeks to profiteer.

I think the added step should/could be the personalization of artwork, many artists are now either insisting or heavily suggesting it be done, which to many, limits the secondary market desirability and also allows the artist to keep better track of who's a fan and who's out for profit (a speculative gauge not a rule of course).

With that, it's equally as crass for a fan to take a free gift as a sketch or autograph from an artist and then turn around and resell it, especially under the guise of "i'm your biggest fan" - - so, in that way, I don't think it's crass for an artist to seek compensation for something of value. I do think autographs should be both limited (no huge stacks at once) and personalized and for free. Sketches should be done at the discretion of the artist and nobody should feel a birthright to have one nor the artist any obligation to do any either. It's their daily job, so maybe going to the show is more about talking and engaging rather than head down, pencils to the paper and just drawing.

i dont know why someone would pay $300 for a commission when they could get a published page for less at splashpage......