• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Was Your First SA Book? Still got her?

86 posts in this topic

It would have had to have been an issue of Fantastic Four... probably in the 80-100 range (since Marvel's Greatest Comics hadn't reprinted up to that point yet).

Sadly, I do not have any of the Silver Age books I had from my first collecting stint.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

My first comic book was either an issue of Ghosts from about 1976 or 1977 or Star Wars #11.

But my first SA book was a beater copy of Metal Men #13 or #14 or something like that. Why I bought it, I have no idea....

My next SA book was a copy of Strange Tales somewhere in the #155-#163 range. I had read an article about Jim Steranko in a comic-related magazine and decided to try something by him based on the adulation in the article and the description of his pop-art-inspired psychedelic artwork. After seeing this first issue (I'll have to look through my stack and see which one it is), I was instantly in love with his work and went on an endless search for everything that he's ever done. I've been collecting his comic and non-comic-releated material for about 15 years now.

Yup, I do have all these books still...

What's the problem you're running into with AOL? I've never had any problems.

I see you have AOL. I don't get why it won't let me post scans? confused-smiley-013.gif

What must I do with a scan to get it posted? Call me computer illerate but I've tried before many a time. It just don't work for me. I figure it was AOL. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

What's the problem you're running into with AOL? I've never had any problems.

I see you have AOL. I don't get why it won't let me post scans? confused-smiley-013.gif

What must I do with a scan to get it posted? Call me computer illerate but I've tried before many a time. It just don't work for me. I figure it was AOL. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Go to Keyword: MY FTP SPACE. There will be instructions there on how to upload pics.

My first trip to the local LCS was with my dad and I was 8, I remember two things from that trip - the smell cloud9.gif and Captain America #110. On the wall in a bag and board in all its glory for a whopping $5 Canadian. Now I was 8 years old so there was zero chance of me spending $5 on a comic book, but I can tell you that one of the first things I did with my paper route money was buy that comic book for $5. Its still in my collection as a solid VF+ and its never coming out.

Its funny how the best rise to the top, I was not really interested in SA as an 8 year old in the early 80s but Cap 110 ASM 50 and JIM 83 always stood out as the wall books I remember in the LCS they seemed to jump off the wall.

If I ever won the lotto I can tell you that the owner of the cover art to Cap #110 would get a serious offer cloud9.gif

I don't remember the first one I owned, but I clearly remember the first one that I ever saw...JLA #23...the Queen Bee! I remember thinking "boy, I can't wait until the pages in my comics all turn tan...then they'll be really old!"

I know that the first SA comic I ever read was a World's Finest with Robin in big trouble (enveloped in some kind of weird alien-thing) - it is long gone.

But I did look all the way through the very back of the bin and found Brave and Bold 61 - autographed, no less. foreheadslap.gif

Larry

Since I started collecting comic books in 1980 as a kid, I didn't purchase my first SA book until 8 years ago. I remember buying a Thor #170 by mail order for $3. The book was listed as good since it had a small "p" written on the front cover. I took the book out a couple of months ago, and it could have easily been graded as FN/VF. It just goes to show how grading standards have shifted over the years where spine stresses and creases are a much bigger deal than writing on books these days. Back in those days, if I saw writing on a book, I figured it was garbage.

First silver age book i ever had was a ASM 55. With the classic cover of Doc Ock up close and personal. I have no clue how I got it or how much I paid for it. From what I can remember, it was in very very nice shape. I sold it at a flea market in about 1990. When I got back into comics about year and a half ago, it was one of the first books that I bought.

first comic con -- 1976 or 1977, when i was 5 or 6. taken there by my older brother and father.

still have:

Daredevil 5 (beat to heck, I was grossly overcharged)

A L'il Abner from the 50s

An "Indians" from the 50s

Some cat and mouse funny animal from the 50s

Plus some comics my father bought because they were "#1s" and he thought they'd be worth something on day: ASM Annual #1 (2 copies) (beat up), Joker #1, Eternals #1, Stalker #1, Beawulf #1, Tor #1.... you get the idea. I still have them all.

Why didn't he pick up some copies of Giant Size X-Men #1 instead of the crappy 70's #1s listed above!!!

I sold off the Hulk 6 I got that day probably a year or two later when I used to sell comics in front of my house when there would be street fairs in my neighborhood (or "block parties" if you prefer). At the end of the day some older kids were kind enough to rob me of everything I had made that day selling comics. So went life in the big city in the 70's.

I don't remember the first one I owned, but I clearly remember the first one that I ever saw...JLA #23...the Queen Bee! I remember thinking "boy, I can't wait until the pages in my comics all turn tan...then they'll be really old!"

i was gonna post my copy for you but it's down in Sarasota looking for a nice grade with the words near mint in the title somewhere........... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

you looking for one of these, too????grin.gif

i was gonna post my copy for you but it's down in Sarasota looking for a nice grade with the words near mint in the title somewhere........... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

you looking for one of these, too????grin.gif

Is this what you're looking for? devil.gif

740222-JLA23.jpg

not sure when it was, probably when i was about twelve or thirteen, there was a shop that you could send 25 bucks to and they'd send you a grab bag full of all kinds of stuff, wrapped up raw in brown butcher's paper.

i did this two times, once for a birthday gift, and the other my grandparents bought for me. maybe a chanukah gift, maybe birthday. who knows any more.

annnyway, mixed in with the massive amounts of PM & IF, charlton reprints, crappy bronze age DCs, were Cap 105, Cap 117 and a Conan 22. the first was f+ the second vf/nm condition, the Conan about a f-.

but i was mostly an x-men, byrne ff and simonson thor collector then, so what did i know about silver age stuff

My first SA book was a presage of what was to come. I was wandering arounf Harvard Square, Cambridge in the 70's and found Million Year Picnic. I knew as muich about comic books as everyone here knows about Sidespan Remain.

So I go into this place and a little teeny tiny synapse fires and I picked up a 12 cent Hawkman. No idea why. Just seemed interesting and I had a vague recollection of the name Hawkman.

Little did I know that a few years later, when my Godson aksed me to collect comic books with him (he was maybe 12 at the time) I would be here! grin.gif