• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Was Your First SA Book? Still got her?

86 posts in this topic

Little did I know that a few years later, when my Godson aksed me to collect comic books with him (he was maybe 12 at the time) I would be here! grin.gif

I had no idea that you and Greggy were related! foreheadslap.gif NOW, it all makes sense!

looking back, i can remember doing a deal with Ted (Superworld) at his 1st show in Boston and picked up a Star Trek #1 (gold key) from him...still have it. Also later that day from someone else an ASM #17 that came back cgc 9.2. cloud9.gif

I bought these at a flea market when I was 8 years old. I have no idea how they stayed in such high grade, since I did not start taking care of my books until I was about 13. I wish I could go back in time and see what other books this guy was selling.

15a.jpg

26.jpg

I don't remember the first one I owned, but I clearly remember the first one that I ever saw...JLA #23...the Queen Bee! I remember thinking "boy, I can't wait until the pages in my comics all turn tan...then they'll be really old!"

i was gonna post my copy for you but it's down in Sarasota looking for a nice grade with the words near mint in the title somewhere........... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

you looking for one of these, too????grin.gif

Is this what you're looking for? devil.gif

740222-JLA23.jpg

blush.gif i guess you won't be needing one........ blush.gif

I don't remember the first one I owned, but I clearly remember the first one that I ever saw...JLA #23...the Queen Bee! I remember thinking "boy, I can't wait until the pages in my comics all turn tan...then they'll be really old!"

i was gonna post my copy for you but it's down in Sarasota looking for a nice grade with the words near mint in the title somewhere........... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

you looking for one of these, too????grin.gif

Is this what you're looking for? devil.gif

740222-JLA23.jpg

blush.gif i guess you won't be needing one........ blush.gif

I have a secret crush on the Queen Bee... gossip.gif

And I am assuming that Tim will provide free shipping also, since you're a fellow boardmember. gossip.gif

Absolutely. He's also going to pay for gas and wear-and-tear to my car to go pick the books up at the post office. I might also need $3.75 for an aloha pineapple from Jamba Juice on the way there.

First silver age comic I ever bought was a VG+ copy of ASM #41 that I bought for $40 at my local comic shop. I was 12 at the time and thought I was hot stuff because I owned a comic that old. Then Bob Storms introduced me to the world of High Grade. Darn you Storms!!!!! I could have been happy with readers for the rest of my life but nooooo! 27_laughing.gif

Eric

The 1st I remember having was a Black Beauty comic, L. B. cole cover maybe?? "Classic Illustrated" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif!! But the one that I remember buying off the newstands was FF # 16: Doc Doom , micro -world, Ant- Man,what a great issue. Do I still have it ?? No!! frown.gif But on my 30th B- Day, my Wife bought that book for me off a local dealer in really nice shape .Wow , what great memories that brought back. cloud9.gif No wonder I'm still married to her going on 23 years,she understands me & I her!!! yay.gifcloud9.gif

I'm 27 now, but bought my first silver-age books as back-issues when I was about 10 years old. They were an FF#48 & #49. I was a huge silver-surfer fan and thought having his first appearance was the coolest thing in the world. I think both books cost around $150 at the time, and that was a fortune to me back then. I'll never forget marveling at how old the cover of the FF48 looked. It was the first comic I had seen with wear due to age. Up to that point all of my comics had probably been VF-NM or better modern issues.

When I got back into collecting last year after a long (10-year+) hiatus I got both comics CGC-graded. The #48 came back as a 6.5 blue label and the 49 as an 8.0 PLOD! Trimmed on all three edges! Oh well, I was just a kid when I bought it so how could I have known...

I sold both comics on eBay last year for a nice profit. But then I started collecting again and have since given it all back to the hobby.

great thread and great stories by the way!

And I am assuming that Tim will provide free shipping also, since you're a fellow boardmember. gossip.gif

Absolutely. He's also going to pay for gas and wear-and-tear to my car to go pick the books up at the post office. I might also need $3.75 for an aloha pineapple from Jamba Juice on the way there.

I'll get right on it. Don't forget to hold your breath until they arrive! thumbsup2.gif

I don't remember what my first SA book was, but I remember this book well. I owned a copy probably when I was around 12 or so in the late 1970s. I took this book and a few other key books I owned from the 1960s and I hid them to protect them (from what I'm not sure).

25 years later I am still looking for them. foreheadslap.gif

I don't remember what my first SA book was, but I remember this book well. I owned a copy probably when I was around 12 or so in the late 1970s. I took this book and a few other key books I owned from the 1960s and I hid them to protect them (from what I'm not sure).

25 years later I am still looking for them. foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what my first SA book was, but I've given up. I have absolutely no idea. Probably some crappy Marvel. poke2.gif

My first SA book was Fantastic Four 12. I bought it at a used book store because I thought the cover was so cool.

grin.gif I still have the six books I bought thar day.

Nice! What were the other five?