• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best place to find these, besides EBay?

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I have $5,000 coming in in a couple of weeks, and I have decided to spend it in some key issues I've always wanted to get, like for example:

Amazing Fantasy 15

Amazing Spider-Man 1

Avengers 1-4

Daredevil 1-2

Iron Man 1-2

Giant Size X-Men 1

Hulk 181

Uncanny X-Men 1-5

Obviously, it's going to be almost impossible to buy all of them, but I wanted to get some feedback of which ones I can probably get for $5,000, and what other places besides ebay I can use. I know there's another comic book auction web site besides ebay, but I couldn't remember the url.

Also, keep in mind that I am not looking for the highest of grades. I will be happy getting of these issues in any grade, as long as basically all the pages are there, the pages and cover are attached, and the covers are mostly intact (a tear or two is ok, but I wouldn't want covers with big pieces missing).

Any ideas? Suggestions?

the bronze agers (hulk 181, GS xmen #1) are fairly common and should be easy to get in grades 7-9.....try some of the dealers like ted at superworldcomics.com or doug at pedigreecomics.com....comiclink, highgradecomics.com or hit a few shows...cash usually talks so you can always negotiate a good price. good luck! flowerred.gif

Being a Spidey fan, that 5k could get you a 5.0ish ASM 1 and a 4.0ish Amazing Fantasy 1.

Being a high grade fan, that 5k could get you a 9.6 Iron Man 1, a 9.8 Iron Man 2, and a nice 8.5 Daredevil 1.

Your BEST possible move right now is to get a subscription to www.gpanalysis.com. It'll let ya know if you're spending the right amount of cash on all the books, and should let you put together a nice group you'd think you can get for the 5k.

If I had 5k to spend on comics, being a Spidey AND a high grade fan, i'd score a nice ASM 14 9.0, and a 50 in 9.4.

Then I would dance like this banana! yay.gif

Hey guys,

I have $5,000 coming in in a couple of weeks, and I have decided to spend it in some key issues I've always wanted to get, like for example:

Amazing Fantasy 15

Amazing Spider-Man 1

Avengers 1-4

Daredevil 1-2

Iron Man 1-2

Giant Size X-Men 1

Hulk 181

Uncanny X-Men 1-5

Obviously, it's going to be almost impossible to buy all of them, but I wanted to get some feedback of which ones I can probably get for $5,000, and what other places besides ebay I can use. I know there's another comic book auction web site besides ebay, but I couldn't remember the url.

Also, keep in mind that I am not looking for the highest of grades. I will be happy getting of these issues in any grade, as long as basically all the pages are there, the pages and cover are attached, and the covers are mostly intact (a tear or two is ok, but I wouldn't want covers with big pieces missing).

Any ideas? Suggestions?

I happen to know that board member awe4one has a CGC 8.0 GS X-Men 1 - maybe he'd be willing to part with it.

well, you could also deal directly with a dealer.

I would give Ted VanLiew of Superworld a call, his number's on the website:

www.superworldcomics.com

You'll find a lot of board members like him, and for low/mid grade, won't find much debate about his grading at all. Nicest guy out there, and probably has many of the books you're looking for on that list raw.

Just another alternative.

It seems to me since you are looking for lower graded copies, that but a few from one dealer would make sense.

If you are not in a rush, you could also buy these from Heritage Auctions over the next few months. They always have a few lower graded copies of these keys in their bi-weekly auctions, I believe they have a restoration expert to look at those books that aren't CGC'd. Therefore, if you don't plan on having them CGC'd, you still have a little more "restoration protection" than buying from a dealer.